Best Bottom episode Page 3

Quote: dellas @ August 31 2012, 5:37 PM BST

:) Thanks Gordon, lovin' these.

You're welcome! And there's another one: In that camping episode Lee mentioned Richie & Eddie roast a fish over a fire, a hilarious scene. Horrible food seems to be a major topic in "Bottom"...apart from sex, failure and mindless violence of course.

Yeah I loved that one too. Wondering how much meat is on a womble haha, classic. It had one of my favourite Eddie quotes too. When they realise they don't have enough food to last them Richie says "what's that film where they eat each other". Eddie answers with "Deep Throat wasn't it" lol. Generally speaking though the first series episodes were the best, especially Gas I reckon.

Quote: yowie29 @ September 3 2012, 4:49 PM BST

Yeah I loved that one too. Wondering how much meat is on a womble haha, classic. It had one of my favourite Eddie quotes too. When they realise they don't have enough food to last them Richie says "what's that film where they eat each other". Eddie answers with "Deep Throat wasn't it" lol. Generally speaking though the first series episodes were the best, especially Gas I reckon.

Yes, the "deep throat" joke (I avoid the word 'gag' in this context) was really great. And I agree on what you wrote about the first series. Series two and three had great episodes too but also some "unwatchable" ones.

Quote: yowie29 @ September 3 2012, 4:49 PM BST

When they realise they don't have enough food to last them Richie says "what's that film where they eat each other". Eddie answers with "Deep Throat wasn't it" lol.

I wonder if the line, "What's that film where they had to each other?" is a nod to The Young Ones where Neil says, "It's like that film where they had to each other." Then he reveals the title of the film is, "We Had To Eat Each Other."

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ September 5 2012, 12:13 AM BST

I wonder if the line, "What's that film where they had to each other?" is a nod to The Young Ones where Neil says, "It's like that film where they had to each other." Then he reveals the title of the film is, "We Had To Eat Each Other."

Good thinking. I couldn't remember the "Young Ones" joke. At first I thought it could be a coincidence assuming the "Bottom" episode was filmed after the movie "Alive!" (where they eat each other ;-) ) got popular around the world, so the joke would be rather a nod to that film. But I checked it out and "Alive!" (1993) was released after the "Bottom" (1992) episode. So maybe Rik & Ade revisited an old joke of theirs.

Does anybody remember the "Not The Nine O'Clock News" sketch that refers to the real life event which inspired the film "Alive!"? The punchline being that the survivors of the plane accident confess that they dared to eat the plane food...but only after they ate their dead fellow passengers.

Are you sure? I took it to mean that they were referring to the film "alive" as in a survivalist context. After all they are perceiving themselves to be out in the middle of no-where (which is obviously the joke because the bus stop is about 2 minutes away).

Could there have been another film where they had to resort to cannibalism to survive?

For me, 'Gas' stands out. I love the bit where the gas man is about to leave and Richie shouts "you're not going anywhere!" and they proceed to punch him and whack him with a frying pan. My mum who hates TV violence and what she calls "toilet humour" pissed herself at that bit.

Also 'Parade' is an excellent episode, it's the one where Richie lies about fighting in the Falklands to impress the new Barmaid (Julia Sawalha). He ends up shouting "Ten years I was fighting in the Falklands! Ten long years!" The bit where they remove the real Falklands veteran's false leg is also comedy gold.

Quote: TBone @ September 6 2012, 5:47 PM BST

Also 'Parade' is an excellent episode, it's the one where Richie lies about fighting in the Falklands to impress the new Barmaid (Julia Sawalha). He ends up shouting "Ten years I was fighting in the Falklands! Ten long years!" The bit where they remove the real Falklands veteran's false leg is also comedy gold.

Yeah, and Kryten's in it!

Simply impossible to pick a best. I just love the fact that it is arguable the most pared down sitcom ever - it's about two blokes who live in a flat - and yet because of that they can come up with any plot they like and make it fit. Where did they meet? No idea. Why do they live together when they hate each other? Who knows. No reason, it just is.

And because of that, Contest will always be a special epsiode for me, not least of all because somehow, despite being a fan of the programme since it was first on, Contest was the only episode that I hadn't seen until very recently. I have no idea why.

Apparently it is the first episode filmed, although the third shown, and may well be the pilot. That makes perfect sense because it is slightly different to the others and it feels like Rik and Ade testing the new format. Basically they stay in and Eddie watches Miss World on telly. That's it.

It is possibly the most pared down episode of all. I read that Rik & Ade came up with the idea for Bottom when they played Estragon and Vladimir in Waiting For Godot, and this episode in particular has a very Beckett play feel to it.

I recommend all sitcom enthusiasts and comedy writers to watch it, even if you don't like Bottom, just to see what can be done with two men in a room. (Ooh Err)

Guess it has to be 2nd series.

"Culture".

'Gas' is a particular favourite :D

Erm, once upon a time, there, there was a big forest. And in the middle of the forest there lived... some trousers. Called... Dave.

Quote: joop1977 @ October 26 2012, 10:48 AM BST

'Gas' is a particular favourite :D

Erm, once upon a time, there, there was a big forest. And in the middle of the forest there lived... some trousers. Called... Dave.

Nice little story while drinking the "best tea in London"! :D

So sad to hear that there will be no more "Bottom" episodes to choose from - with the abandonment of the new series. :( I hope one of these guys come back to television individually at some point. I always thought that "Teenage Kicks" had room for improvement and should have been given another series.

Quote: ToddB @ October 27 2012, 5:15 AM BST

So sad to hear that there will be no more "Bottom" episodes to choose from - with the abandonment of the new series. :( I hope one of these guys come back to television individually at some point. I always thought that "Teenage Kicks" had room for improvement and should have been given another series.

Abandoned!!!!!! WTF!!!!!!!!

Welcome to 1996!!