Frankie Boyle Page 20

Quote: Godot Taxis @ September 1 2012, 1:21 AM BST

So your complaint is the title wasn't funny enough? You should read the book itself - it's hilarious. Even Tim Walker conceded that and he hates FB.

OK, maybe it is a rib-tickler but it still doesn't make we want to read it. I just think titles like that are cheap, juvenile and unnecessary.

It's not big and it's not clever.

His beard is big but that's not clever either. And he's a ginge.

*slaps wrist for being non-PC

I honestly doubt Frankie cares any more. Doesn't he want to break away from comedy, anyway?

Quote: Harridan @ September 1 2012, 1:46 AM BST

Jesus! How much do I have to watch to be familiar with his work?! Do you have to live in his shed to call youself a 'fan'?
You're right, I wasn't aware of the zionist stance of Mock the Week?

Cloche hats are cool. Like bow ties.

But seriously, I do find his form of 'edgy' humour outdated. Saying the unsayable is only interesting if no one's said it. Jimmy Carr beat him to those jokes years ago and he's hardly the most cutting edge comedian.

This is like trying to explain Shakespeare to a porpoise.

Or perhaps like trying to explain the Beatles to someone who's only heard Please Please Me.

Jimmy Carr makes topical and cock and fanny jokes and no doubt he hopes to shock, but he has no political stance, no persona and no agenda.

Boyle may have started out on Mock the Week telling jokes a bit like Carr's but he has pushed on to develop a liberal-baiting agenda and a vicious, media-unfriendly persona. Told he couldn't use the word motherf**ker more than twice in his show he coined the term fatherf**ker. His catchphrase from Tramadol Nights was "I'll show you heavy, fatherf**ker'. And that is exactly what he is about - knocking down liberal, hippie (heavy) PC bullshit.

I've read an Israeli army manual and now I know 67 ways to kick an elderly Palestinian woman in the back.

He also told that joke on R4 and the BBC apologised for it! There isn't a single mainstream comedian in Britain who would tell an anti-israeli joke, of any strength, let alone one as pointed as that and that's what makes him a radical comedian.

I can understand why you think it's 'outdated' - it's very different from your aloof, disingenuous style of writing. I doubt Frankie would think bow ties were cool and he'd probably take a piss in the Well of Loneliness.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ September 1 2012, 9:13 PM BST

Told he couldn't use the word motherf**ker more than twice in his show he coined the term fatherf**ker. His catchphrase from Tramadol Nights was "I'll show you heavy, fatherf**ker'. And that is exactly what he is about - knocking down liberal, hippie (heavy) PC bullshit.

Except South Park did it better with Uncle F**ker. So he's a joke thief.

Keith Chegwin with a potty mouth.

He also told that joke on R4 and the BBC apologised for it! There isn't a single mainstream comedian in Britain who would tell an anti-israeli joke, of any strength, let alone one as pointed as that and that's what makes him a radical comedian.

At this point you're taking the piss.

Mark Thomas?

Who had a succesful tour and book on his walking the length of the Israeli wall.

I can understand why you think it's 'outdated' - it's very different from your aloof, disingenuous style of writing. I doubt Frankie would think bow ties were cool and he'd probably take a piss in the Well of Loneliness.

Oh and Godot unwritten rule of BCG number 1.

When you make it personal.

You've lost the argument.

Every time.

I'm just going to ignore most of that because f**k you. But as Sooty said, Mark Thomas, and also Jeremy Hardy and Mark Steel and Marcus Brigstocke just off the top of my head.

Yes, Godot I do agree with some of your points, but you made it unpleasantly personal toward Harridan. We really don't need that kind of beahviour. When Boyle does it as a comedian we take it at arm's length, but it's just plain unpleasant here.

sooty: Mark Thomas is in no way a 'mainstream' comedian.

He's had Channel 4 shows as well as Radio BBC 1+4. I'd give my right arm for that degree of mainstream success.

Although he quite Channel 4 on principle.

Godot may well think every thing he says but he performs it when he presents it here. Which is artistic and therefore pretty much allowable.

How do you know that Marc?

And what difference would it make?

Marc we're not all characters in one of your easily readable pot boilers.

Quote: Marc P @ September 1 2012, 10:51 PM BST

Godot may well think every thing he says but he performs it when he presents it here. Which is artistic and therefore pretty much allowable.

Well, that makes me feel much better.

STANDARD OBVIOUS INUENDO JOKE

Quote: Harridan @ September 1 2012, 11:26 PM BST

Well, that makes me feel much better.

STANDARD SELF CONGRATULATING RESPONSE TO OWN JOKE.

I think Marc may have been doing one of his patented oblique satirical posts. I think.

Oblique?

is that his angle?

It's a reflex response.

Things like that give me an acute pain.