Children's comedy?!

Trying to think outside the box when it comes to children and comedy, my next mission is to write some. My 4 and 6yr old love Miranda, but I have to forward 'rude' bits, and think that as much as I love Justin from Cbeebies who has already done a childrens' sketch show, I think maybe comedy is either adult or children, is it possible to be both? Anyone got examples? Or 'out the box ideas'?!

I heard a lovely story/joke, sadly it's not one of mine. It goes something like this:

# Daddy, where does poo come from

# Well darling, when you eat food, your tummy digests what it needs to make you grow big and strong. The bits that your body doesn't need is pushed out of your bottom as poo.

The little girl's eyes start to well up with tears

# So where does Tigger come from?

Hope this helps.

Hi Becky, welcome.

Famously, Do Not Adjust Your Set - starring David Jason, Eric Idle, Michael Palin and Terry Jones - had a far higher than anticipated quota of post-pubescent audiences.

More recently, Horrible Histories and Sorry, I've Got No Head have done the same.

Go back to the late 1980s and Tony Robinson's sitcom Maid Marian And Her Merry Men was enjoyed by many an adult too.

There are plenty of other predominantly adult sitcom titles that have been enjoyed by many a generation with liberal servings of innuendo - but I think you're talking more the other way around; for kids but not painful to parents.

How about some of the old Harry Enfield and Chums sketches? The Harry and LuLu sketches are quite funny.

All the Carry Ons went over my head when I was young but there was still loads of stuff that made me laugh.

Very clever writing though.

I suppose a lot of comedy used to employ innuendo and few swears so it could be enjoyed by a wider audience. I remember watching Drop The Dead Donkey as a kid and absolutely loving it - obviously the satire went over my head but the other comedy kept me happy. Re-watching it there's a lot of sex in it that also went over my head. My parents seem to have been very liberal about allowing me to watch films with sex scenes in them, and I seem to have just ignored them.

Isn't "Ripping Yarns" something that's suited for adults but children as well?

Catweazle still works for me!

Quote: Poirot @ August 31 2012, 11:12 PM BST

Catweazle still works for me!

Yeah that one was (is) great. And a great theme tune. I found it also a bit spooky (ok, I was really really young when they showed it on German TV). It has everything: comedy, adventure, fantasy...all in a 30min episode

My ten year old kills himself laughing at Dad's Army but 4 and 6 year old is probably too young. Anyway there's tons of kiddy comedy to keep them busy, Spongebob Squarepants is hilarious for both kids and adults and there're God knows how many episodes. I love Spongebob. One of my ambitions is to write an episode :)

Mr Bean, Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em; seems like they'd both work for kids and adults.

Chucklevision.

Rentaghost was ok IIRC, although I haven't watched it recently.

I know its not British, but the most obvious adult /kids comedy is the Simpsons.

I loved Bob Monkhouse when I was a kid...I don't remember any of his stuff being too blue...I may have supressed it..

Zap on CiTV was very funny- especially Daisy. Kids tend to love things that involve naughtiness and mischeif. I had 'The Beano' on video as well- had a cartoon sketch on there called 'The Three Bears'- I remember my mum and grandma finding it just as funny as I did.

I still think Sooty has a great adult/child crossover audience. I'm laughing just thinking of Sweep.

Robert's Robots, Used to love this as a kid, don't know what it's like now. There was also 'The Doubledeckers' with Melvyn Hayes, used to love that one too.