For The Love Of Ada

Lately I've been watching For The Love Of Ada for the first time. I was pleasantly surprised as it is better than I expected it to be. I'd never even heard of it till recently.

Has a distinct feel - which is a combination of earthiness, sweetness and gentleness. Has a feel-good factor. Ada is a strong and likeable main character.

Reminds me quite a bit in some ways of On The Buses. I think it's because the house they live in looks the same. Style of comedy is similar - although I think the Ada stories are a little more robust. Primarily about a more mature age group.

I recommend it for anyone who likes a gentle, fairly predictable, working class type comedy.

I find the theme tune a little slow. However, it does match the gentle tone of the show.

Yes, this is a great sitcom. I love this genre. Irene Handl was a very funny woman. On the Buses is another of my faves, so I'm totally with you on this one.

Curious. The On The Buses comparison doesn't really jump at me, but For The Love Of Ada definitely has a pleasant charm to it and some wonderfully funny episodes.

Spring & Autumn is in a similar vein, but about the friendship between an OAP and a young tearaway.

See Amazon product listing
[p=http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/17752140/Spring-And-Autumn-Series-1/Product.html]

See Amazon product listing
[p=http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/32073826/0/Spring-And-Autumn-Series-2/ListingDetails.html]

I think the comparison is probably the depiction of past times in a working class family and the comedy it throws up. There's a certain feel to these comedies that brings back memories of past lives etc. Both of these remind me of my family...dead common we are.

Will have to check out Spring and Autumn. I see Irene Handl was in another sitcom called Maggie and Her, and was also in Metal Mickey.

After having read the comments on this thread, I was curious to give 'For The Love Of Ada' a try, as even though I knew of it's existence I had never seen it before now. I decided to buy the first series and started watching last night.

So far I have only seen the first 3 episodes, and even though I agree it is a gentle sweet sitcom, I have found it slow going and have not laughed or even smiled once yet. Though in saying that I have still enjoyed what I have seen, though the first episode seemed particulary slow. Still this can be said for alot of sitcoms.

I would be interested to hear from other members who may have seen this sitcom from first series to last, if it improves with each series, as I maybe tempted in seeing more of this in the future.

You're never going to be laughing on the floor at For The Love Of Ada: the tone is very much set with Series 1. But for my money yes, it does get funnier as it progresses.

Have finished watching series 1 now. After having watched this series for a second time now, I found it to be much more enjoyable. Great chemistry between Irene Handl & Wilfred Pickles with a good all round cast.

Ordered series 2 and really looking forward to seeing it.

If it wasn't for this thread I would never have taking the opportunity of buying this, and would have missed out.

This was a lovely gentle little series from the Powell and Driver stable. I don't really get the On the Buses connection, but the writers also wrote 'Bless This House', 'Nearest and Dearest' and 'Love Thy Neighbour'. There was a film version with the title song by Gilbert O Sullivan. As I recall the series lasted about four series, but by the later shows it was beginning to tire. The situation of the old lovebirds losing some of its force when they actually married, spoiling the original idea of the inversion of the parent child relationship; with the children dissaproving of Ada's new boyfriend.

Quote: Pingl @ September 11 2012, 7:29 PM BST

This was a lovely gentle little series from the Powell and Driver stable. I don't really get the On the Buses connection, but the writers also wrote 'Bless This House', 'Nearest and Dearest' and 'Love Thy Neighbour'. There was a film version with the title song by Gilbert O Sullivan. As I recall the series lasted about four series, but by the later shows it was beginning to tire. The situation of the old lovebirds losing some of its force when they actually married, spoiling the original idea of the inversion of the parent child relationship; with the children dissaproving of Ada's new boyfriend.

What a lot of great sitcoms there. I was just remembering 'Yus My Dear' with Arthur Mullard. Blimey...that's a really distant memory now! Bugger it...I'm so old!

When I was a Boy the dead sea was only sick - George Burns

I've now watched all four series and the film.

I would say the quality was maintained through to the end, in every respect, other than the final episode, perhaps, which was a Christmas special. The special seemed to go on a bit long (I think it must have been longer than regular episodes) and it seemed to be a bit repetitive in respect to the falling outs they'd had in previous epsiodes. However, it was okay with some laughs in it.

The film - again, it was okay, but not as good as the TV series. I'd say - yeah quite good, but the TV series is better.

Over all, I'd say it's a pretty good to very good series. Much better than I'd hoped it would be. There was something uniquely good about it - which I think was Ada's strong character and her very believable acting and the theme of a new solid romance for mature people of the day.

One of the stranger moments in the show is the wedding. A large part of the episode was totally laugh free and was more like watching a real serious wedding. Unusual for a sitcom.

Oh - another interesting thing is Mollie Sugden (sp?) (aka Mrs Slocombe) plays big parts in two episodes - as Lesley's mother.

Like Steve, I have now finally watched all four series (not the film version), and I have to say I found this to be immensely entertaining throughout. The acting was generally excellent, with Irene Handl stealing most scenes. I especially enjoyed the fourth series episodes 3 & 6. These featured the episode when the Bingleys and the Pollets went to the pictures, and episode 6 starring the stupendous Mollie Sugden.

For anyone out there who hasn't had the chance to see this, I highly recommend it.

Yes, the scene at the pictures was funny. At the time I wondered if the guy who was getting upset was the councillor out of Brittas Empire. Looked like him but not sure.

Quote: Steve Charlie @ October 15 2012, 4:36 AM BST

Yes, the scene at the pictures was funny. At the time I wondered if the guy who was getting upset was the councillor out of Brittas Empire. Looked like him but not sure.

He may have been, though I haven't seen Brittas Empire in years. However, I do remember him an episode of 'Some Mothers Do Ave Em', which he was quite funny in.