Frankie Boyle Page 18

I'd respect him alot more if he said

"what are they going to do? Run me over with their wheelchairs?"

I probably would too. I've never like Frankie Boyle but I understand why people do, but his claiming to be some kind of equality advocate is just stupid.

It shows an awful moral cowardice. Certainly saying in an equal society everyone gets the piss ripped would have been more honest and more helpful.

What is the point of a joke? It is to get a laugh. That's all. Jokes don't change people's attitudes ever. If you want to do that you construct something more complex. And that often as not doesn't work either. But jokes.. you know... try and intellectually defend them on some kind of evangelical ground .. and well... you know! :)

Quote: Marc P @ August 31 2012, 10:53 PM BST

What is the point of a joke? It is to get a laugh. That's all.

Steady, P! You're on the verge of making the BCG Comedy Discussion Forum redundant.

Quote: Marc P @ August 31 2012, 10:53 PM BST

But jokes.. you know... try and intellectually defend them on some kind of evangelical ground .. and well... you know! :)

...just...spit it....out....Marc....

I have to say that I found Boyle's Paralympic gags more lazy than offensive.

Quote: Tursiops @ August 31 2012, 11:34 PM BST

I have to say that I found Boyle's Paralympic gags more lazy than offensive.

I've always found him a lazy comedian.

contemporary figure + graphic reference to vagina = comedy gold, apparently.

Some of his stuff is excellent but why try when the audience wants to hoot to offence?

Quote: sootyj @ August 31 2012, 10:47 PM BST

It shows an awful moral cowardice.

Get you with your high ground pontificating.

Thats not fair, people in wheelchairs rarely get to take the high ground.

my ears just popped with that fall from the high-ground! :)

My moral highground is too be honest pretty dutch

Quote: Harridan @ August 31 2012, 10:30 PM BST

What is it with comedians claiming to be laughing with people who are actually deeply offended by their jokes?

Listening to the Jeremy Vine show today on the subject of Boyle, and none of the disabled callers were offended by his tweets, but able bodied callers were offended on their behalf. Surely this is patronising in itself.
Boyle is a comedian, saying the unsayable is his stock in trade, he can be funny, he can be offensive, or a mix of both, but that's all he is, a comedian. He's not running the country...now that would be worrying, or would it?

Quote: Shandonbelle @ August 31 2012, 11:55 PM BST

Listening to the Jeremy Vine show today on the subject of Boyle, and none of the disabled callers were offended by his tweets, but able bodied callers were offended on their behalf. Surely this is patronising in itself.
Boyle is a comedian, saying the unsayable is his stock in trade, he can be funny, he can be offensive, or a mix of both, but that's all he is, a comedian. He's not running the country...now that would be worrying, or would it?

The point I was making was that it is reminiscent of Gervais reclaiming the word 'mong' on behalf of a group he isn't a member of. I don't think Boyle's tweets were that offensive, especially compared to a lot of what he has said in the past, but I think if disabled people tell him he's crossed a line it isn't for him to say that he's laughing with them when they don't feel that way.