The Last Leg with Adam Hills

I'm amused by the title/choice of host. Not too interested in the sport, but willing to give it a go for the comedy.

Anyone else watching?

Him and his blimmin' leg!

I'll probably watch it sometime, if it's on 4OD.

I was going to but I fell asleep. I wanted to see the bit about how you should or shouldn't refer to disabled people. I bet that was funny.

Away from comedy, I am curious about how it is decided which terms may not be used and how that decision is reached.

Quote: zooo @ August 30 2012, 10:34 PM BST

Him and his blimmin' leg!

That.

I don't think he talks about his missing foot all that much - having one foot is probably a massive part of his life so it's only natural that he would bring it up every so often. For his first few shows he never mentioned it and now when he does it's only when he has a joke or a relevant comment to go with it. With this show it's relevant because he's a physically disabled comedian presenting a show about the paralympics.

I've only actually seen him mention it twice. It's just fun to complain.

ha!

Some amusing moments I though but more interesting given the crap that's being flung Frankie Boyle's way. It really does seem that if Boyle had a limb missing he'd be fine.

He is ginger...

Quote: Agnes Guano @ August 31 2012, 11:05 PM BST

Some amusing moments I though but more interesting given the crap that's being flung Frankie Boyle's way. It really does seem that if Boyle had a limb missing he'd be fine.

I think that's the point. He's not a disabled person and he's never had to deal with the issues that disabled people have to deal with. So when he makes dark and cutting jokes at the expense of disabled people it feels like he's pointing and laughing rather than making jokes that everyone can find funny, as I think Adam Hills and other physically disabled comedians do. When comedians with cerebral palsy make jokes about the way they talk or lack of control over limbs it's often funny because it's from a perspective of inclusion, but an able-bodied comedian doing a routine about how weird people with CP look is not in any way the same thing.

I haven't read all of Frankie's jokes, but of the ones I did see some were very inoffensive and quite inclusive I thought.

That's not to say the rest weren't direct from the very arse of Satan though.

Ooh, and Adam Hills just stuck up for Frankie.

I don't think they're actually as bad as some of the stuff he's said in the past. Same old, same old from Boyle. But he's offended a lot of disabled people, it seems, and he's defending his jokes by claiming he's trying to highlight the fact that we can't joke with disabled people, which is just stupid bullshit.

By the sounds of the audience applause, there's about 5 people sitting there.

I've been enjoying this show a lot.

Yeah, what I've seen of it has been pretty funny.