Citizen Khan - Series 1 Page 2

Desperately unfunny

Quote: Jack Massey @ August 28 2012, 9:09 PM BST

Excellent point, think many critics have overlooked this...
I watched it last night. It was all right. The problem with it, is that, rather like 'The Royal Bodyguard' it has become the victim of shocking BBC scheduling. Programmes like this should be on well before the watershed.

In the case of "The Royal Bodyguard" what do you mean by well before watershed? Children's program?

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ August 28 2012, 9:19 PM BST

In the case of "The Royal Bodyguard" what do you mean by well before watershed? Children's program?

In fairness, there was much about that show that could easily have got on CBBC. In truth, it was probably more suited to an early Friday evening or even Sunday afternoon slot. But after the watershed, a more edgier audience is out. I don't think it was particularly bad, had a bit of charm to it. A better time slot would have got it a better reception.

I thought Khan himself was a decent comedy creation, just thought everyone else was a bit bland.

Quote: Jack Massey @ August 28 2012, 9:26 PM BST

In fairness, there was much about that show that could easily have got on CBBC. In truth, it was probably more suited to an early Friday evening or even Sunday afternoon slot. But after the watershed, a more edgier audience is out. I don't think it was particularly bad, had a bit of charm to it. A better time slot would have got it a better reception.

I thought Khan himself was a decent comedy creation, just thought everyone else was a bit bland.

In terms of viewing figures you may be right. And to be fair in the case of Citizen Khan we don't know yet if it's a hit or a flop. But the quality of the content won't be affected by the time slot.

Just a thought . . . .if it was written by a white, ginger person with gags about Pakistanis would this be classed as racism?

Quote: smudger @ August 28 2012, 9:30 PM BST

Just a thought . . . .if it was written by a white, ginger person with gags about Pakistanis would this be classed as racism?

I thought Sacha Baron Cohen was once critisised being antisemitic. hehehe

I think it's too easy to get caught up in this kind of thought
Can see the show being attacked as being racist for other reasons. He is incompetent, but all the dads are in domestic sitcoms. The Fosters (Britain's first all black sitcom) in the 1970s was attacked for being racist in some quarters, when in truth, there was nothing racist about it.

Quote: Jack Massey @ August 28 2012, 9:36 PM BST

I think it's too easy to get caught up in this kind of thought
Can see the show being attacked as being racist for other reasons. He is incompetent, but all the dads are in domestic sitcoms. The Fosters (Britain's first all black sitcom) in the 1970s was attacked for being racist in some quarters, when in truth, there was nothing racist about it.

Not racist...blaxploitation perhaps. ;)

The misses is currently watching it on record. A sitcom cliche I'm really starting to hate is jokes about modern technology. Something about an app as to where Mecca is.

Quote: Jack Massey @ August 28 2012, 9:44 PM BST

The misses is currently watching it on record. A sitcom cliche I'm really starting to hate is jokes about modern technology. Something about an app as to where Mecca is.

This is something I dislike in the newer Simpsons episodes, where they make fun of Apple, Facebook or Hannah Montana. It feels extremely forced...

Quote: dennispennis123 @ August 28 2012, 8:59 PM BST

I don't see why just because it's a sitcom about Pakistanis that it must focus on religion or culture.

Because otherwise what is the point of the show? I'm not saying the show needs to go the whole hog way and feature episodes in which he honour kills his slutty daughter or plies a 13 year old with cider so he can shag her, but some sort of nod to real culture clashes would be great.

Nothing Special about this. Ratings were 3.4million,next week I expcect
2.7m.

Second Series, I highly doubt it.

Ginger isn't a race. It's a genetic mutation.

Has Kris Marshall hit such hard times that he's appearing in stuff like this as some ginger, bearded Muslim convert now that his lucrative gravytrain of BT adverts are history?

Personally I found this "comedy" crass when we still have honour killings being carried out in Britain. I refer to the point where the wife announces that if the mosque isn't booked then she would be so ashamed as to kill herself. I thought this quite needless.

For goodness sakes we still had a supposed joke where the protagonist parks his car in a disabled spot, sees people are looking at him and tries to defuse the situation by putting on a limp! This type of comedy surely went out with the ark or at least Terry And June?

That was truly truly awful.

I didn't laugh once but cringed a million and one times.

Who the hell read that script and thought it was worth a series?

The mind boggles.