Production Company Meeting...

So, I've got a meeting with a production company for the first time next Monday. I was woundering if anyone's got any tips/advice? I actually remember a couple of years ago SeeFacts asking the same question, but I can't seem to find the thread. Thanks all! :D

How about some context? What made them invite you to see them in the first place?

If you tell me where it is I'll 'warm them up' with a few pitches, make it easier for you...

Depends what you're going in for, if it's a general meeting or to talk about a specific project. But either way, just be nice and enthusisatic. Have a few other ideas ready to talk about just in case. Know about your own script. I know that sounds stupid, but you can get tripped up if it becomes clear you haven't thought through things enough.

Try not to appear too mental. Have a wash before going.

...and keep the race hate to a bare minimum.

Quote: David Bussell @ August 28 2012, 4:12 PM BST

...and keep the race hate to a bare minimum.

Yeah. That time you blacked up for a meeting with Hat Trick didn't go well.

Quote: David Bussell @ August 28 2012, 3:19 PM BST

How about some context? What made them invite you to see them in the first place?

It's to discuss a script and a general catch-up. I submitted another script in the past, which they've passed on, plus material for a sketch show pilot.

Quote: Lee Henman @ August 28 2012, 5:44 PM BST

Yeah. That time you blacked up for a meeting with Hat Trick didn't go well.

Like I said on the day, it wasn't blackface, I'd just taken a tumble into some wet tarmac. And the fried chicken and watermelon was only because I was hungry.

Quote: hotzappa11 @ August 28 2012, 10:32 PM BST

It's to discuss a script and a general catch-up. I submitted another script in the past, which they've passed on, plus material for a sketch show pilot.

Be flexible but know where to stand your ground. They're interested in you as a writer so don't be afraid to express yourself when you think a good idea is being shunted in the wrong direction. And like Matt says, have some fresh ideas on hand in case they ask what else you have. Other than that I'd say don't work yourself up and have fun with it.

Quote: David Bussell @ August 29 2012, 10:56 AM BST

Like I said on the day, it wasn't blackface, I'd just taken a tumble into some wet tarmac. And the fried chicken and watermelon was only because I was hungry.

And what about when you dropped down on one knee and sang "Mammy"?