Lucky Sexy Winners

I went to the recording of this a couple of weeks ago, I think Vic and Bob fans will love it. It's a bit like shooting stars but based more on Vic's paintings. Can't wait for it to air.

No responses?

I enjoyed it, but didn't think it was as good as the average Shooting Stars episode (am I the only one who thought the last couple of series were as good as it ever got?). It was a little lower on energy, and I missed the silly challenge game thing at the end.

The Embarrassing Bodies spoof got me chuckling, with Bob's ridiculous winks to camera, and the JLS thing with the puppets was fantastic. Hell, their songs are ALWAYS fantastic.

I'll be watching all of them, because there'll be a couple of belly laughs, but it's not vintage. I don't know why they don't go back to sketch-based stuff. Maybe they just don't think they've got enough material or something.

I agree that Shooting Stars never lost it, and it may well have got better as it went along.

I loved Lucky Sexy Winners. I really hope someone decides to give it a series. Bob even threw in an 'I've fallen', which made me very happy. Even if some milk did leak out of him.

Quote: the science eel @ August 25 2012, 9:15 PM BST

I don't know why they don't go back to sketch-based stuff. Maybe they just don't think they've got enough material or something.

It's because no one is letting them do that on TV, it's not like it's their decision, someone has to give them the opportunity. They've been allowed to do another quiz, and so, with this one, have reduced the quiz element and increased the silly between bits and sketches.

I loved it.

Quote: zooo @ August 25 2012, 9:42 PM BST

Bob even threw in an 'I've fallen', which made me very happy.

Probably the greatest line in the history of comedy.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ August 25 2012, 9:50 PM BST

It's because no one is letting them do that on TV, it's not like it's their decision, someone has to give them the opportunity. They've been allowed to do another quiz, and so, with this one, have reduced the quiz element and increased the silly between bits and sketches.

I loved it.

From what I've heard, they were given free reign to make whatever they wanted.

As for Lucky Sexy Winners, after the glories of the last few Shooting Stars I just felt it was a letdown. There was nothing inherently wrong with LSW in itself, and it wasn't not-funny, but it just didn't feel particularly special. And frankly, I couldn't shake that it felt lazy that they didn't take the enforced ending of Shooting Stars as a great opportunity to do something different. Yes I'm fully aware they said they'd wanted to make more SS, but that was overruled, and like I say, it just felt like a missed opportunity.

Would be silly though to force yourself to make something different from what you want, just to make sure no one accused you of being unoriginal/unimaginative.

Quote: Aaron @ August 26 2012, 12:42 AM BST

From what I've heard, they were given free reign to make whatever they wanted.

I'm only repeating what they said themselves, that they would ideally do a full sketch show.

Well obviously you should make what you want. If it's not fulfilling or entertaining to you as writer/producer/star/etc, then it's going to have less appeal to the public. My point is that I wish they had taken the opportunity to find something new that they wanted to do, not just rehash something we already loved.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ August 26 2012, 12:49 AM BST

I'm only repeating what they said themselves, that they would ideally do a full sketch show.

That's very curious then! Almost the complete opposite of what I've heard. Most intriguing...

If it gets a series I'll watch it.
If it doesn't I won't mind.

They're well past their best, but still very funny when they get it right.

A bit like Shooting Stars lite really. I agree with Steve.

These quiz shows will always be a shadow of the sketch shows.

I find it incredibly hard to believe ( yes, I know it comes from them) they wouldn't be allowed to make a sketch show - unless it's a budget issue.
Quiz shows are cheaper.
I mean who that watches Shooting Stars etc wouldn't watch a sketch show?
They wouldn't lose audience - possibly gain.
Perhaps its a 'strand' based decision - they seem to need quiz shows at the moment.

I do feel I'm being rationed when I watch this, though.