RIP Sid Wadell

The great darts commentator was a brilliant creator of one-liners, a frustrated comedian, I feel, the drinking man's Eddie Waring. Maybe the inspiration for Gene Hunt?

"He looks as happy as a penguin in a microwave."

"Eat your heart out Harold Pinter, we've got drama with a capital D in Essex."

"If we had Phil Taylor at Hastings they would have gone home."

Here, here. RIP Sid Waddell indeed.

William Tell could shoot an apple of a head
Phil Taylor could crack a pea.

On the subject of darts, has anyone heard about Keith Deller throwing the fastest 301 ever last week?

He did it in just 25 seconds. Not bad, eh?

I'm sure Sid Waddell would be proud.

Here's our report: http://www.therakeandherald.tv/society/societystory.php?id=158

Why has this been moved from People and Stand Up? He was a person. He spoke one liners. Case closed.

(And he wrote Josie's Giants and Sloggers)

Moving on, he once replaced Alan Dedicot as the voice of the balls-now that something to go in an obituary...

'Alexander the Great cried salt tears aged 33 when he had no more worlds to conquer. Eric Bristow is only 27.'

I couldn't believe how old he was, seems only ten years ago he was sounding as fresh and energetic as ever, incredible energy and enthusiasm he had. Some thought he was half mad for the wayout one liner descriptions he'd spurt out but many saw him as the most creative sports commentator ever. Definitely a change from the standard cliche spouting automaton. Yes there was a lot of comedian in his act, he could've easily been one and he always reminded me of Max Boyce. Both very bright and bubbly men.

Quote: TopBanana @ August 13 2012, 9:26 PM BST

'Alexander the Great cried salt tears aged 33 when he had no more worlds to conquer. Eric Bristow is only 27.'

Laughing out loud :)

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ August 13 2012, 9:32 PM BST

Some thought he was half mad for the wayout one liner descriptions he'd spurt out but many saw him as the most creative sports commentator ever. Definitely a change from the standard cliche spouting automaton. Yes there was a lot of comedian in his act...

Laughing out loud :)

He was the British George Shea (of Major League Eating).

Quote: TopBanana @ August 13 2012, 9:26 PM BST

Laughing out loud

Even funnier when ATG died at 32

RIP Sid. Checked out on treble 20 and double 6

He was also on the radio version of Dave Gorman's Genius...