Blackadder returning to screens? Page 4

Quote: Aaron @ August 12 2012, 8:26 PM BST

Failing to see the exception?

Would you call Gervais' stuff broad, unimaginative and calculated bollocks?

Don't tempt him.

If you call him a highly annoying, self-righteous/obsessed and pretentious git these days then I more than agree with you...but a few years ago he was cutting edge. Not every comedian would have tried to convince the BBC to produce a show like "The Office". (I'm sure you had this coversation before on this site ;-) )

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ August 12 2012, 8:41 PM BST

Would you call Gervais' stuff broad, unimaginative and calculated bollocks?

Increasingly broad. Not the same kind of 'broad' as we would describe My Family, mind. Certainly the latter two.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ August 12 2012, 8:48 PM BST

a few years ago he was cutting edge. Not every comedian would have tried to convince the BBC to produce a show like "The Office".

Yeah, more than 10 years ago he made a popular success of a non-original format. See: People Like Us, Operation Good Guys, etc.

Quote: Aaron @ August 12 2012, 8:51 PM BST

Yeah, more than 10 years ago he made a popular success of a non-original format. See: People Like Us, Operation Good Guys, etc.

Didn't know these shows...must check them out
:O
the point I was trying to make initially was that former angry young men (or women) shouldn't destroy their magnum opuses (or opi?) years after their original run just to cash in...that brings us back to Elton/Curtis.

I'm beginning to think that Aaron is a walking sitcom-lexicon who is hard to pin down in a comedy-argument... Laughing out loud

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ August 12 2012, 9:06 PM BST

the point I was trying to make initially was that former angry young men (or women) shouldn't destroy their magnum opuses (or opi?) years after their original run just to cash in...that brings us back to Elton/Curtis.

To be fair to them all - even Gervais - it's not them, but the public, and the barely-literate journalists who comment upon the media, who trump up later shows as if they're going to be equivalent to or otherwise wholly on par with earlier, beloved productions.

Quote: Aaron @ August 12 2012, 9:08 PM BST

To be fair to them all - even Gervais - it's not them, but the public, and the barely-literate journalists who comment upon the media, who trump up later shows as if they're going to be equivalent to or otherwise wholly on par with earlier, beloved productions.

...and to be fair to Curtis & Elton, it seems that they haven't even considered to bring back "Blackadder". I shouldn't accuse them of something they haven't done (yet)...hehehe.

They'll bring it back at some point.
Elton ain't working any more and is apparently less popular than Bin Laden.
Curtis's shite twee eccentric silly British, appeal the Americans at any cost, type films seem to have folded.
The only hold out will be Rowan, who having invested heavily in his old mate's movies is seriously loaded, and won't need to work ever again, or his ancestors.

Somehow it will get made, down the road, and it'll be worse than Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-19834447

Quote: Aaron @ August 12 2012, 8:51 PM BST

Increasingly broad. Not the same kind of 'broad' as we would describe My Family, mind. Certainly the latter two.

Operation Good Guys was brilliant!

Why can't they just let things go?

Quote: gon gon @ September 21 2012, 11:49 PM BST

They'll bring it back at some point.
Elton ain't working any more and is apparently less popular than Bin Laden.

Actually he's doing a BBC One sitcom.

Quote: gon gon @ September 21 2012, 11:49 PM BST

Curtis's shite twee eccentric silly British, appeal the Americans at any cost, type films seem to have folded.

He's making a new Brit film about time travel called 'About Time'. And he wrote the screenplay for Spielberg's hit 'War Horse'.

Very much doubt there will be a new Blackadder as Rowan Atkinson is a member of the russian air force http://www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=287&t=34027&p=213249&hilit=blackadder#p213249

Quote: Lee Henman @ October 7 2012, 4:12 PM BST

He's making a new Brit film about time travel called 'About Time'. And he wrote the screenplay for Spielberg's hit 'War Horse'.

The most mind numbing film about a horse ever.
And I had to watch Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron.
Twice.

Quote: Lee Henman @ October 7 2012, 4:12 PM BST

He also managed to completely kill an amiably naive environmental campaign, 10:10, stone-dead with one of the most ill-judged promo films in history. Stone. Dead. To the point that most of the organisation's sponsors withdrew their sponsorship and major environmental organisations that had previously been linked to 10:10 ran a mile.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Pressure_(film)

Curtis of course continues to believe that what he did was great, and it's all the fault of people who aren't are clever as him not seeing the satire. When you're reduced to taking down your own video, while your critics and opponents repost it as quickly as they can, you know you're in trouble. Well, most people would.