Comedy Spots Entry

This is the video I have entered for comedy spots competition, I don't think it's on the website yet but keep a look out for it and vite if you like it. Also the stuff on the bulb is black bean sauce not sh*t. All will become clear... http://www.telly.com/5E1I1?fromtwitvid=1

Aww...see...now you've told me it's only black bean sauce, I'm far less inclined to watch it.

Yes...I like it.

I've watched some others on there and they've been a bit...hmmm...oh dear, but I chuckled at that. Good work, except for the black bean sauce part...would have been nice to have been left believing you'd shit on a light bulb. Still...can't have everything!

I think you're trying to do two gags when you should concentrate on one.
There's "Money for Morons" which just takes the piss out of compensation culture.
Then there's the "freak accidents" route i.e. hoover up arse while cleaning in the nude etc
You start with one (ladder) shift to the second ( lightbulb and hoover) then back to the first - the to camera bit about 'money for being moron'.

For my money I think the second route is better - a service that compensates you when you find yourself in these delicate situations- I think it's richer territory.

Also I would give the thing more pace - these kind of ads always seem to have a kind of frenetic urgency.

Of course, I realise you've shot it already etc, but that's my two-penny-worth

thanks glad you liked it, it was a full day of filming and it was hard explaining the whole situation to my gf when she arrived home early from work to find me filming myslef with a brown lightbulb haha.

i appreciate your opinion lazzard I will take this advice for future projects or competitions but I've already entered it in the comedy spots comp.

Just to add...you have a good idea of how to pause and react to dialogue, without saying anything. Even your dead pan face is a good indication of how you're feeling. I really got that. Some people do too much with their faces and it makes them look far less real and a lot more hammy than they would if the scenario was being played out in real life. However, you add enough to it to make it funnier than a real life scenario. I think you could excell at the sarcastic reactions to situations.

You know how a dog will tilt its head slightly and use their eyes to let you know they're listening? They don't have to speak, you just know what they're thinking and, therefore, what they might be 'saying'.

That's exactly what I'm talking about. Sometimes, you have to get the physical responses right before you start spouting the words. People pause far more in real life and it's important to try to breathe as naturally as you would in reality to try to emulate a natural response.

So far, although it's only a short piece, I'm impressed with your delivery.

Thanks Joyce, I love sarcasm or embarrassment in comedy, someone I take note of when watching comedy is ricky gervais. I know a lot of people hate the guy but his pauses and facial reactions are something I try to emulate.

Yeah...it's a good thing to take note of. Ricky Gervais is brilliant at what he does. I don't particularly like the way he comes across as a person, but I still watch what his TV shows and enjoy them. A lot of people won't watch celebs if they're not fond of them as a person. As long as they're not mass murderers or wife-beaters, I'm inclined to respect their talent and forget the rest. We're all human and can't be expected to like everyone.

I think Warwick Davies did an incredibly good job in Life's Too Short and there were definitely similarities in his camera work, just as there is with Ricky's (Oh, now I'm on first name terms!). Miranda Hart has a good 'look at the camera' technique and makes you feel part of her shows too.

I remember Warwick Davies from the Leprechaun films...I lOVE THEM!!

:) Liked it! Should have finished by putting the 'free pen' up his arse!

i think it's been turned down because I said arse :/ I recieved an email saying the content wasn't acceptable and David Mitchell doesn't swear, quite sure I've heard him swear many times?

I remember seeing in the rules that it needs to be appropriate for general viewing, or something like that. David Mitchell might swear, but for this I think also saying 'penis' and showing someone getting theirs stuck in a hoover nozzle might not have helped. Plus a light bulb covered in shit...I dunno. Could be any one of those things. Is there time to do another, but without the adult content? I think you should enter, just have a think about the content and read the rules again to make absolutely sure you don't waste your time. However, you could still keep this one for future entry into other similar competitions.

i sent an email first and they said swearing was fine so I guess the other content isn't acceptable, i'l have a look at other entries and try and stay on their level see if that helps.

I enjoyed watching that. Good stuff.

thanks earman2009 glad you enjoyed it :)