BBC1 Comedy Spring 2007

It seems BBC1 are going sketch show mad in 2007. Here's the new show's they've announced for the first quarter:

The Harry Enfield Show: Harry and Paul back together! Watch a preview clip

The Omid Djalili Show: Part stand-up, part sketch-show from the world's only British-Iranian comedian.

Ronni Ancona and Co: Seems Ancona has finally broken out from Alistair McGowan's grip and thus gets her own impression-based sketch show.

Armstrong and Miller: Alexander Armstrong and Ben Miller are reunited after five years for a new series of their popular show.

There's also a new panel show in the shape of Unbelievable. Notable because it sees Angus Deayton back in charge of a BBC1 panel game. Based on "unbelievable truths and believable lies" it will "tests the participants' ability to talk funny, convincing nonsense". David Mitchell is a regular captain.

And After You've Gone is BBC1's newest sitcom. Notable because it stars Nicholas Lyndhurst. "Weekend dad Jimmy offers to move back into the marital home to look after his two teenagers when his ex-wife volunteers to tend victims of a natural disaster in Africa. Unfortunately, Jimmy's patrician mother-in-law, Diana (Celia Imrie), views him as a walking, talking natural disaster so she virtually moves in to "help", which generally means undermining Jimmy whenever possible.". A full guide to this show soon of course.

What do you think? We all know BBC1 has been desperate for another hit comedy - is anything above likely to be just that?

I was hoping I'd manage a recording of After You've Gone, but alas it did not work out. Could be pretty good, although based on recent shows I won't keep my hopes up.

As for Unbelievable, can anyone say Call My Bluff?

all looks pretty stock

I've always liked Harry Enfield's stuff so will watch his new show. It's good to see him reunited with Paul Whitehouse, although it doesn't mention if Kathy Burke will return.

After You're Gone sounds like one to avoid. Nicholas Lyndhurst was great in OFAH, but I can never forgive him for that show where he went back in time to shag a cockney barmaid and play Beatles songs to her bemused customers.

Quote: Mark @ December 7, 2006, 6:51 PM

Armstrong and Miller: Alexander Armstrong and Ben Miller are reunited after five years for a new series of their popular show.

I. Am. So. Happy.

Looking forward to the new Harry Enfield series, as Paul Whitehouse is back writing on it, and in my opinion Whitehouse has never made a rubbish show.

Just an update regarding Armstrong and Miller, it looks like it is NOT another series of their previous show; it is specifically being billed by Hat Trick (the production company) as 'Series 1'.

Tickets are available now.

WOW!!! .. Would love to see some new Harry & Paul!!! in 2007 :)

Looking forward to armstrong and miller, think Enfield may be a bit too far past his best, even with whitehouse back on board, but im prepared to be proved wrong. Though, actually, if hes writing, why doesnt whitehouse just do a new sketch show of his own? Hes always been a far better performer than enfield in my view.

Is there any news on the new Saxondale series? ... (loved Series 1)

Coogans writing it, that's all i've heard.