Thank God You're Here - Paul Merton Page 8

Quote: Richard Wells @ January 26, 2008, 11:10 PM

I had never heard of Phil Nichol till tonight but he is hilarious.

Check him out, he's f**king insane.

He won the if.comedy (formerly Perrier) Award in 2006, if I remember rightly.

Also, show was a bit poo as ever. The script the 'actors' are given is proving to be more and more restrictive and generally shite with each sketch.

Quote: Aaron @ January 26, 2008, 11:36 PM

Also, show was a bit poo as ever. The script the 'actors' are given is proving to be more and more restrictive and generally shite with each sketch.

I think that was evidenced during Lee Mack's sketch when the actor talked about the shooting, which Mack didn't talk about himself. Still in this show it was nice to know that the comedians were between than the resident ITV guest (whose only purpose appears to be plugging some other ITV show).

Thought Lee Mack was pretty good but no matter who ir on the show, it can't sustain itself for an hour. Also I really dislike Phil Nichol and his smug, self-satisfied style.

Quote: Nick @ January 27, 2008, 12:08 PM

Also I really dislike Phil Nichol and his smug, self-satisfied style.

Even if the guy was really funny.

He was equal second funniest, with Marcus. (who was supposed to be Adam Buxton. What happened?)

Marcus actually surprised me as I was crying with laughter at his sketch and I don't laugh like that very often.

Quote: Richard Wells @ January 27, 2008, 2:27 PM

Even if the guy was really funny.

Personally I didn't think he was which could be down to my disliking him I admit. He was abysmal in Annually Retentive though which is presumably why they got rid of him and I didn't like him on Buzzcocks either.

When was the last time Merton put any effort into anything ??.

He's been coasting for years,you only have to watch HIGNFY, which has become painful!!.

This is exactly the sort of cheap end prog he wouldnt have touched with a barge pole a few years back, absolute shite!

First time I saw it this week.

My favourite bit was Marcus Brigstocke's German character in the group scene.

"In Germany we think this is a top CD!" Laughing out loud

Thought Paul Merton was a bit bad though.

That is very true. Merton just doesn't seem to care, he was on Richard and Judy the other day to promote it and he wasn't funny or enthusiastic about it.

You get the odd flash of brilliance from him on HIGNFY but where as you would get that brilliance regularly a few years ago, you are now lucky to get it once a series.

Didn't Paul's wife die? Maybe a part of him died with her?

He really has dropped in quality over the years, he's obviously passionate about comedy, and I don't believe someone could lose their spark and just not be funny any more.

Quote: Leevil @ January 28, 2008, 2:46 PM

Didn't Paul's wife die? Maybe a part of him died with her?

He really has dropped in quality over the years, he's obviously passionate about comedy, and I don't believe someone could lose their spark and just not be funny any more.

His silent comedy documentary's showed that he is still passionate about some things but I think it might only be a matter of time before he quits from HIGNFY. He has already left Room 101 and you get the sense he is bored which is understandable.

Your point on his wife may be true, didnt they get married and then a few weeks later she lost her battle with cancer? That is bound to affect him and again understandable.

It's just a shame because I have seen some clips of him on Whose Line Is It Anyway? and he is really funny and totally different to how he is on Thank God You're Here.

Quote: Spagett @ January 28, 2008, 2:51 PM

His silent comedy documentary's showed that he is still passionate about some things but I think it might only be a matter of time before he quits from HIGNFY. He has already left Room 101 and you get the sense he is bored which is understandable.

Your point on his wife may be true, didnt they get married and then a few weeks later she lost her battle with cancer? That is bound to affect him and again understandable.

It's just a shame because I have seen some clips of him on Whose Line Is It Anyway? and he is really funny and totally different to how he is on Thank God You're Here.

He may not be much good on this show, but if you ever get the chance to see him and his "Improv Chums" perform live, do go! I saw them at the Fringe and it was one of the funniest things I have ever seen. I'm seeing them again in May.

More people should watch this, it's good.

Maybe they should get Harry Hill on?