The all-in-one consolidatory football thread Page 378

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ June 11 2012, 9:43 PM BST

'Ah, but what if Holland play Arsenal, who will Bergkamp play for then?'

Holland played Bayern earlier this year actually. Robben played for Holland.

Hmm, a 35 year old ex Chelsea flop just made this group very hard for us. If we can't force a win against bogey team Sweden then we face a real battle in Kiev. Another charge of the light brigade?

We did quite well v France but our midfield looks way too light to me, we are clearly missing the likes of Lampard and Rooney. Parker's okay, works hard but isn't the most creative of players, to say the least. The same with Milner, who you just wish would forget his good tidy ball skills and unshackle himself, he started his career banging in goals, tho that's hard to believe now! The Ox has to be persisted with, and maybe Walcott needs to replace Milner. England have to mash the Swedes or we may as well turnip in.

Quote: AJGO @ June 11 2012, 9:16 PM BST

Someone, who shall remain nameless, just asked me 'Is Shevchenko Ukrainian then?'
I told them to think very carefully about the fact that they were watching the Ukrainian national team, and that Shevchenko just scored for them, and they replied that they didn't know it worked that way and thought that teams just bought in players.
After explaining the concept of a national side, and asking if they at least remembered beating Germany 5-1, or if not that England in '66, the reply was 'Well of course it used to be like that, but that was then'. After I'd finished laughing I was struck by the depressing truth of how meaningless and corporate football can seem to be, and that it is absolutely not surprising that someone thought that.

But, GET IN UKRAINE..

When I first started going out with the (now) wife we were watching Scotland play Morocco in a 1998 World Cup match on TV. I remember being totally thrown by her saying, "Which team is Scotland then?"

Quite apart from thinking that everyone knew that Scotland played in dark blue there was the small matter of skin colour which I thought might have made it obvious.

Yeah, Colin Hendry really looks like he comes from Marrakech.

(And yes, I know in that picture Scotland are wearing yellow)

Quote: Tuumble @ June 12 2012, 9:58 AM BST

When I first started going out with the (now) wife we were watching Scotland play Morocco in a 1998 World Cup match on TV. I remember being totally thrown by her saying, "Which team is Scotland then?"

Laughing out loud

And yet women think you are a total moron if you don't know the difference between lavender and puce.

Horseys for courseys.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-18407626

About f**king time. Am I the only person who gets fed up of these lot droning on?
I particularly hate that mexican typee riff they do.

It must be a nightmare being anywhere near them in a stadium.

Quote: Will Cam @ June 12 2012, 1:46 PM BST

Am I the only person who gets fed up of these lot droning on?

Yes Will Cam, you are, you unpatriotic mutha luvver. I actually missed the band playing during the France game and like it or not, they do get the fans going and provide support for the England team.

I particularly like it when they do the theme from Steptoe whenever an opposition player makes a mistake. Yes, I am child, but a happy child.

Quote: Will Cam @ June 12 2012, 1:46 PM BST

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-18407626

About f**king time. Am I the only person who gets fed up of these lot droning on?
I particularly hate that mexican typee riff they do.

It must be a nightmare being anywhere near them in a stadium.

You grumpy bugger! I like them. Although admittedly I wouldn't if I was anywhere near them

AJGO and Car Park
Up a tree
K.I.S.S.I.N.G
First comes love
Then comers marriage
Then comes sitting on the sofa watching match of the day blowing trumpets at each other because 'it helps the atmosphere' Will Cam you C**t!

*point taken

Quote: Will Cam @ June 12 2012, 2:36 PM BST

Will Cam you C**t!

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

Quote: Will Cam @ June 12 2012, 2:36 PM BST

AJGO and Car Park
Up a tree
K.I.S.S.I.N.G
First comes love
Then comers marriage
Then comes sitting on the sofa watching match of the day blowing trumpets at each other because 'it helps the atmosphere' Will Cam you C**t!

*point taken

Laughing out loud
I like that we keep Will Cam in our living room to shout abuse at.

During the last Russia match every time the commentary mentioned Kerzhakov we repeated what they'd said in an ominous whisper and replaced 'Kerzhakov' with 'Keyser Soze'.
I'd really recommend it, was surprisingly brilliant.

Bit worried about the whole anthem issue tonight though.
Hope owt dunnae kick off (except the match, obvs)

What on Earth was that odd noise occasionally during the match like train destination boards changing?

Quote: AJGO @ June 12 2012, 4:16 PM BST

Bit worried about the whole anthem issue tonight though.
Hope owt dunnae kick off (except the match, obvs)

It's already started, 5000 Russian fans marched through the centre of town and then sporadic fights kicked off.

It's weird watching football crowd violence and England aren't involved.

Quote: Stylee TingTing @ June 12 2012, 7:30 PM BST

That was the stewards, goosestepping.

>_< :D

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ June 12 2012, 7:31 PM BST

It's already started, 5000 Russian fans marched through the centre of town

Really? Or did the supporters attending the game go to the game?

I'm not having a go at you at all, just the portrayal of that part of the world is getting right on my f**king nerves. Talk about bloody racism

Quote: AJGO @ June 12 2012, 7:38 PM BST

Really? Or did the supporters attending the game go to the game?

According to the television news, it's some sort of national holiday in Russia today and the fans were deliberately marching as an act of provocation.

I assume it was the same outside racist news organisations that forced these fans to fight each other...oh wait.

Quote: Stylee TingTing @ June 12 2012, 3:51 PM BST

Hoo-bleedin'-ray!! And about bloody time!

Good to see the back of them. That wretched band has only managed about three badly played tunes in two decades. I could do better on a Vuvuzela.