The all-in-one consolidatory football thread Page 377

He knows they have to protect
In Tournament football not losing is more important than winning if that makes sense.

England played adequately.

I thought we did well. Not great, but ok against a very good opposition.

Great header by Lescott too.

It just looked so poetic & graceful in slow motion.

We did alright! 1-1 against France in first game is decent, shows we can score a goal, and that the defence is capable. Hart isn't to blame if he couldn't see well, thought The Ox was great, Gerrard was great, was impressed with how well we kept the shape, was much more evident than it has been sometimes that players were aware of what they were supposed to be doing. Being England, we do of course need goals, goals, goals, but I think that was a more than respectable start.

Way ta go Sweden.

Not sure who I want to win now. If the Ukraine win, or have something to play for in their last game against us it could make for a very nervey game.

Blimey 2-1.

My reasons are not really team related, it's that I've got family living there.

I'm keeping very quiet in my little corner and will default to England* if it all goes pear-shaped.

*I always back Engurlaaaand up as well but my own country first. That is the way.

Someone, who shall remain nameless, just asked me 'Is Shevchenko Ukrainian then?'
I told them to think very carefully about the fact that they were watching the Ukrainian national team, and that Shevchenko just scored for them, and they replied that they didn't know it worked that way and thought that teams just bought in players.
After explaining the concept of a national side, and asking if they at least remembered beating Germany 5-1, or if not that England in '66, the reply was 'Well of course it used to be like that, but that was then'. After I'd finished laughing I was struck by the depressing truth of how meaningless and corporate football can seem to be, and that it is absolutely not surprising that someone thought that.

But, GET IN UKRAINE..

Yes, I thought Gerrard played quite well actually. Is it due to not being shackled with Lampard?

Quote: AJGO @ June 11 2012, 9:16 PM BST

Someone, who shall remain nameless, just asked me 'Is Shevchenko Ukrainian then?'

'Ah, but what if Holland play Arsenal, who will Bergkamp play for then?'

Sorry, I was immediately reminded of that Fast Show sketch which is only slightly better then the Armando Ianucci Show one, where he's in the pub and knows nothing about football and yells 'Come on Bergkamp, you've six legs, use them!'.

Still, with the 'grandfather' rule, you can play for a national side and not technically be born or even raised in that country. So, 'Is Shevchenko Ukrainian then?' may not be as daft as it first seems.

Quote: Ben @ June 11 2012, 9:40 PM BST

Is it due to not being shackled with Lampard?

Yes. Plus with so many Defensive Midfielders around him, he has the opportunity to rampage forward whenever he pleases.

Quote: Nil Putters @ June 11 2012, 8:03 PM BST

Great header by Lescott too.

Why does he keep heading the lace up part of the ball though?

It's playing havoc with his forehead . . .

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ June 11 2012, 9:43 PM BST

'Ah, but what if Holland play Arsenal, who will Bergkamp play for then?'

Cor, imagine

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ June 11 2012, 9:43 PM BST

Still, with the 'grandfather' rule, you can play for a national side and not technically be born or even raised in that country. So, 'Is Shevchenko Ukrainian then?' may not be as daft as it first seems.

Trust me, it was as daft as it seemed

Nice bit of NWA at end of BBC coverage there! My absolute ideal job would be choosing music to go with football coverage. I would be the best. How can I make this happen?

Quote: AJGO @ June 11 2012, 10:02 PM BST

Nice bit of NWA at end of BBC coverage there! My absolute ideal job would be choosing music to go with football coverage. I would be the best. How can I make this happen?

I think they let the editors choose the music and put together the 'package'. So all you have to do is learn how to use Avid and Final Cut Pro, become a really good editor, work for the BBC for several years and then they'll let you choose the music.

Easy peasy Japaneesy.