Still Game Page 10

Quote: Aaron @ December 18 2011, 7:20 PM GMT

Of course, the opposite argument is that the regions demand their own TV channels and vastly different programming, then moan when a particularly good show falls foul of the system.

Don't get me wrong, I like Still Game and think it should be better known, but this kind of thing seems to me an understandable if not regrettable consequence of fragmenting the Beeb to appease regionalists.

Fair point - if it hadn't been shown UK wide and restricted to Scottish viewing. However that's not the case here.
You don't 'promote' a previously regionalised programme to the UK network without bothering to do any advertising, no chat show interviews with the cast, trailers,
tv mag features, nothing, UNLESS there is an element of anti......bias.

I agree to an extent. Half of the problem when it was broadcast outside Scotland was that they just picked up in the middle of ... I dunno, was it Series 5? By which time all of the characters, their relationships and peronsality traits had been established and were familiar and relied upon for quite a bit of the humour. They should have started right back from Series 1 and let the show's popularity grow organically.

I'm almost tempted to think that they had a clumsy scheduling problem in the rest of the country, hence a relatively last-minute, poorly promoted broadcast of Still Game. I certainly don't approve of how the BBC treated the show, but I equally don't subscribe to the notion of there being a specific bias. I appreciate it's an accusation that's been made by the programme makers themselves in the past, but it just seems a lazy complaint to me.

Anyway. Whatever reasons are behind it, we're agreed it's a good show that should be better known. :)

I just got the Still Game box set yesterday. I had never seen it until yesterday, I wanted to try a new sitcom and this looked right up my street. I have so far watched 5 episodes and think it's great. I enjoy the Scottish accent in comedy and I am looking forward to watching the Christmas and Hogmanay specials. Anyone else enjoying this programme?

It's repeated every Monday on BBC Scotland and the specials are on at Hogmany every year. I think Greig Hemphill gets a few tweets a day from people asking if it will be coming back.

The first series was really very good, then as so often happens with these things they began to run out of steam. Even so for the first series alone they deserve total praise. I couldn't always understand the language, being a Londoner, but it was wonderful and rich and witty

I've never found Still Game to run out of steam.

It's #1 on my list of programmes no longer in production that I'd like to see return.

Comical masterpiece, you're in for a treat!

In my opinion, Still Game produced killer episodes throughout S1 to S6 of the show, so anything which rated 99% or less, made you believe that they dropped the ball, where in reality, the standard was so very high throughout the entire production.

Sorry for the long sentence, I'm famous for that! lol

All the best,
Cal :)

I wish that Greg and Keiren would get a grip and start production on the 7th series!! This is by far the funniest British comedy in the last decade. Being from Scotland I can relate to the humour really well and the writing is spot on. Who want to start a petition with me to get it back on air???

Ford and Greig still don't really talk to each other so very unlikely they will ever do another Still Game

Well I brought this boxset last year and it has become one of my top 5 shows, very witty, with some memorable lines, especially like the winston character, the episode where he goes loses his artificial like had me in tears.

It was good but not enough for me to buy it on DVD.

See Amazon product listing

£15.44 now

This is the exact reason I came here

Thank God I looked at this thread and saw lots of praise for this programme, I would have never have come across this otherwise.

Saw this thread two days ago, so I checked it out on YT, I've now watched the first series and three episodes of the second.

The bit in the episode Scones were they're trying to come up with a phrase to describe scones, had me in stitches.

Only seen nine episodes so far, but I'm confidant to say this is up there with the best of em.

Thank you very much for the heads up people, I can't wait to watch more.

Just finished Still Game.

It takes over Peep Show as the best British sitcom to debut in the 21st century for me.

Bloody fantastic.

It really is superb. Winston has me in stiches. I love the episodes with him in.