QI - Series J

Series J (the tenth series) of QI begins recording today. There are several questions that will no doubt be raised in this series. Namely:

1) Will QI cover Japan and if so will they dare mention anything nuclear?

2) Who is Cal Wilson? I ask because she has been confirmed to be a guest on the first recording and I have never heard of her until just a moment a go. I know she is a New Zealander, but that's about it. Is there any Australasians who can tell me more?

Quote: Ian Wolf @ May 22 2012, 2:31 PM BST

Why wouldn't they?

Quote: zooo @ May 22 2012, 2:33 PM BST

Why wouldn't they?

On Series H they accidentally caused a lot of offence in Japan when they had a question about Tsutomu Yamaguchi, the man who survived both the Hiroshima and Nagasaki nuclear bombs. In Japan the nuclear bombings are a no-go ahead in terms of humour. The BBC was forced to issue an apology, and Fry decided not to go to Japan while filming his Planet Word documentary due to threats against him.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/jan/23/bbc-apology-atomic-bomb-jokes

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/feb/03/stephen-fry-shelves-japan-filming

Ah, I didn't know about the threats!

Sod 'em then. They shall not be allowed on the holy QI if they make such a silly fuss.

Quote: zooo @ May 22 2012, 2:41 PM BST

Ah, I didn't know about the threats!

Sod 'em then. They shall not be allowed on the holy QI if they make such a silly fuss.

I don't think there is any big need to worry. I know that the Japanese are willing to make jokes about the war, just not that particular bit of the war.

To be fair, it was utterly despicable. (To paraphrase Sylvester.)
But you can't outlaw jokes on stuff.

Quote: zooo @ May 22 2012, 2:48 PM BST

To be fair, it was utterly despicable. (To paraphrase Sylvester.)
But you can't outlaw jokes on stuff.

I still doubt that the nuclear bombs will come up. Not for fear of causing offence, but because it has been mentioned on QI so many times that they are probably running out of interesting stuff to mention about it.

Japan and if so will they dare mention anything nuclear?

2) Who is Cal Wilson? I ask because she has been confirmed to be a guest on the first recording and I have never heard of her until just a moment a go. I know she is a New Zealander, but that's about it. Is there any Australasians who can tell me more?

Being a kiwi I recognised the name, but had to look her up to even vaguely remember her - Wikipedia and Google are your friends but methinks she'll be new to you!

Series J (the tenth series) of QI begins recording today. There are several questions that will no doubt be raised in this series. Namely:

She is a popular stand up comedian who made her name in Australia. She lives here in Australia with her Aussie husband and baby.

She has been on heaps of Australian television including Spicks and Specks, Good News Week, various Aussie chat shows etc.

Presumably she's another Addison Cresswell/Off The Kerb client, as that seems to be the only way to get on BBC TV nowadays.

Well, whatever she does, I certainly hope she is as funny as everyone claims she is because she is doing one of today's recordings as well (there are two recordings today).

Another newbie from down-under whom I've never heard of until now is appearing on the show - Julia Zemiro, who is half-Australian, half-French.

2) Who is Cal...

Wasn't she a supercomputer in Doctor Who? Excellent for the show, if so.

Actually it's a Hebrew name and means devotion.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ May 30 2012, 4:36 PM BST

Another newbie from down-under whom I've never heard of until now is appearing on the show - Julia Zemiro, who is half-Australian, half-French.

She's a television presenter who hosts a music quiz show called Rockwiz on SBS. Also she now does the commentary for Eurovision for the same channel for Australia's entertainment. SBS used to use the BBC's coverage until Terry Wogan quit. SBS is our world channel if you wanted to know, it has a mixture of movies and shows from mostly Europe and Asia and Australian/British/American specialty shows.

I've just realised where all these Aussie newbies have been coming from - other than Australia of course. QI toured the country last year, performing stage shows with local comedians. These comics must have been part of the tour.