Live from Kirrin Island - call for submissions

+++++PODCAST NEWS+++++
Episode 1 is available here http://kirrinislandpodcast.com/the-podcasts/
++++ BROADCAST NEWS +++
Monday 18th June at 7pm, and Friday 22nd June at 9pm on BrooklandsRadio.co.uk Visit their website for details and to stream live.
++++++++++++++++++++++

Hello everyone. This is a call for contributions from anyone on BCG (whether or not you've been involved so far) to a topical comedy show and podcast being put together by a dozen BCG writers for a recorded performance - in radio style - on Saturday 16th June. If you've been a regular BCG contributor to Newsjack (and live somewhere remotely near the South East of England) you probably received an invitation from me to participate in what started out as a social event*. Details, including who's involved are at http://KirrinIslandPodcast.com

Live from Kirrin Island will be broadcast on Brooklands Radio at 7pm Monday 18th June and again at the peak slot at 9pm on Friday 22nd June after the sports programme. More details in a post on page 3. Hear the trailer.

We're looking to make it NJ-esque but with some cheeky twists of creativity rather than a copy. But in essence it will be sketch based with various opportunities for topical one-liners weaved in. The material is likely to be BBC editorial standard compliant ie acceptable for The Now Show or NJ. We are now inviting material for use on the show from anyone on BCG. You will of course get a credit (thanks not money!) for material used. With it's topical nature we will be focusing on news leading up to mid June. But we will also pick up the biggest and persistent news stories from the beginning of the year and so do consider any of your previously unused sketches from the critique section and resubmit.

COMMISSION

1: Topical news based sketches (think NJ) for a cast of up to two boys and two girls. Sound effects are fine. Good material for the women always sought. Sketches are likely to be no more than 90 secs but can be shorter. You might find the Newsjack writers guidance helpful http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00kvs8r

2: Use opportunities for a Kirrin Island twist or perspective, including the weaving in of Enid Blyton characters. The island might have its own radio station, for instance, allowing special features, adverts, sports sections etc. There might be sketches based in the island's job centre, police station, zoo - use your imagination. The Kirrin Island twist is optional and we won't want all sketches to have that component. So also please send in other material.

3: Please steer away from specific impressions for the cast but regional or foreign accents are fine.

HOW TO SUBMIT

4: Post one sketch only as a separate thread in critique with the prefix "KI:" so we know we have your permission to edit and use the material. I hope there will be constructive suggestions and preliminary edits via critique to give us the best shot of completing the project on the day. Don't be put off if a news story has already been covered, you might have a better take on it.

DEADLINE

6: We'd like to see material going up straight away if it reflects the big on-going stories (pasty tax, tankers strike, Olympics etc) I expect material submitted up to midnight Wednesday 13th June will get attention.

* if you're not already directly involved but are interested in joining the writing team or the performers on the day, do PM me. Also post questions on this thread if you have any.

Thanks a lot,
Alison

How does the process of submitting one liners work?

Hi groovydude, the one-liners will need to be the more topical and so I'll probably do a separate calling note for those a little closer to the show date. Watch this space.
Alison

4: Post one sketch only as a separate thread in critique with the prefix "KI:" so we know we have your permission to edit and use the material. I hope there will be constructive suggestions and preliminary edits via critique to give us the best shot of completing the project on the day. Don't be put off if a news story has already been covered, you might have a better take on it.

Won't people just read the sketches and then say I don't need to come to the show? Better to email them to you, surely? Or do you not want to give out your email address?

Tim, the audience are very unlikely to be BCG forum readers and are not a paying crowd so that isn't really an issue for us to worry about. The audience are primarilly to add a laughter track (hopefully) to the podcast. And to give the performers something to play to. This began as a collaborative writing project and so using the critique forum makes sense for the core writers and anyone on BCG who wants to join in.

The other reason for using the forum rather than have people email me personally is that we can share the reading between us. Hope that makes sense.

Alison

Quote: LippyAlison @ May 11 2012, 6:40 AM BST

If you've been a regular BCG contributor to Newsjack (and live somewhere remotely near the South East of England) you probably received an invitation from me to participate in what started out as a social event.

Sob.
I've had stuff on Newsjack, and live in the South East.
No invitation.
I'm clearly too minging. :P

+++EDIT++++
Oh. Thanks not money. Ignore me.

;) Crikey remember those Blyton stories at school, we had read aloud in turn!

Loved 'em though!

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ May 12 2012, 9:25 PM BST

Sob.
I've had stuff on Newsjack, and live in the South East.
No invitation.
I'm clearly too minging. :P

+++EDIT++++
Oh. Thanks not money. Ignore me.

Sorry Mikey, an oversight rather than by design. But yes, the thanks, the glory and a credit is what's on offer.
Alison

So only those already invited are to submit or anyone on here?

Quote: Shandonbelle @ May 12 2012, 11:12 PM BST

So only those already invited are to submit or anyone on here?

It's very much ANYONE on BCG who would like to contribute along the lines of the guidance. I can see my note above, linked to the website could be ambiguous. I shall edit my note above as well.

The writers listed on the website are those who have agreed to put the script together on the day but it was always intended to seek contributtions widely. I cast the net broadly (with the exception if Mikey naturally) in the earlier invitation to those who seemed to post regularly on the NJ forums. The suggestion in the note above for anyone to PM me if they are also interesting in joining in on the day was to mitigate the risk of missing someone - which inevitably happens.
Alison

You and me both Mikey.

None taken Alison.

Quote: KLRiley @ May 13 2012, 7:11 PM BST

You and me both Mikey.

None taken Alison.

Oh bloody hell! This was meant to be the easy part.... The aim is to showcase BCG talent so do join in :)
Alison

I have a question- can I ignore Mikey too or do you have an exclusive on that?

Quote: evan rubivellian @ May 13 2012, 8:20 PM BST

I have a question- can I ignore Mikey too or do you have an exclusive on that?

Evan, I'd like to be inclusive in ignoring Mikey. I don't have the absolute rights but I would like to be notified when others do, in fact, ignore Mikey.

:D