The most ironic joke Page 2

How ironic is that? - from QI.

Irony is like goldy or bronzy except it's made of iron...isn't it?

Quote: cjdelphi @ April 30 2012, 6:24 AM BST

Great weather even though it's miserable... is sarcasm.

Irony is a lot harder to find in a joke, usually the more morbid comedies jack dee springs to mind.. that's why I asked if anyone's heard a good joke with irony at it's core..

Irony - A man's fed up with his life so he decides to use a banana go into a bank tell everyone he has a gun... so he goes through with his plan he gets to the counter.. hand over the money and nobody will be hurt pointing at the gun I mean banana through his clothing..

(irony)

While he's holding up, 3 men with real guns enter the bank.... sees the man holding up the bank, the irony there is that not only could he not manage it, but the day of all days had to be the same one a real robber decides to rob the bank..

irony jokes are hard to pull off because well it requires some brain cells to understand the situation, but to make it funny is even harder because most ironic situations are not that funny hence why I was asking around :P

Ok.

I once tried to stab Alanis Morissette, but all I could find were ten thousand spoons.

Quote: Tuumble @ April 30 2012, 10:33 AM BST

Irony is like goldy or bronzy except it's made of iron...isn't it?

Thar reminds me of that film 'Ironic Man'. Robert Downey jr plays a guy who dresses in a robotic suit and calls himself 'Iron Man'. Yet, his suit is made mainly of plastic and computer generated imagery.

My son was invited to have an Happy Birthday, we argued .

I went to a Yoga class for health and peace, people argued about the mats.

sent a get well card to
a friend- He had died.

Is this irony?...

Quote: dellas @ May 1 2012, 5:10 AM BST

My son was invited to have an Happy Birthday, we argued .

I went to a Yoga class for health and peace, people argued about the mats.

sent a get well card to
a friend- He had died.

Is this irony?...

I think the case with the yoga mats would be Murphys Law. Like how the bus is always late when I'm on time but it will turn up 5 or more minutes early when I'm running late.

It means you're a jinx

Don't send me a card please

Quote: cjdelphi @ April 30 2012, 6:24 AM BST

Great weather even though it's miserable... is sarcasm.

Irony is a lot harder to find in a joke, usually the more morbid comedies jack dee springs to mind.. that's why I asked if anyone's heard a good joke with irony at it's core..

Irony - A man's fed up with his life so he decides to use a banana go into a bank tell everyone he has a gun... so he goes through with his plan he gets to the counter.. hand over the money and nobody will be hurt pointing at the gun I mean banana through his clothing..

{irony}

While he's holding up, 3 men with real guns enter the bank.... sees the man holding up the bank, the irony there is that not only could he not manage it, but the day of all days had to be the same one a real robber decides to rob the bank..

irony jokes are hard to pull off because well it requires some brain cells to understand the situation, but to make it funny is even harder because most ironic situations are not that funny hence why I was asking around :P

The irony is not in the bits about the weather itself, but in the whole joke, in that the Californian had completely misunderstood what irony (or even sarcasm) is.

Surely it has to be "wounding" to be sarcastic. othewise it is just irony. ie sarcasm = irony +wounding (metaphorical)

Wikipedia has a long page on irony & according to that both viewpoints above are true.

Modern theories of rhetoric distinguish among verbal, dramatic and situational irony.

Verbal irony is a disparity of expression and intention: when a speaker says one thing but means another, or when a literal meaning is contrary to its intended effect. An example of this is when someone says "Oh, that's beautiful", when what they mean (probably conveyed by their tone) is they find "that" quite ugly.

Dramatic irony is a disparity of awareness between actor and observer: when words and actions possess significance that the listener or audience understands, but the speaker or character does not, for example when a character says to another "I'll see you tomorrow!" when the audience (but not the character) knows that the character will die before morning.

Situational irony is the disparity of intention and result: when the result of an action is contrary to the desired or expected effect. Being "shot with one's own gun", or "hoisted with one's own petard" are popular formulations of the basic idea of situational irony.

Cosmic irony is disparity between human desires and the harsh realities of the outside world. By some definitions, situational irony and cosmic irony are not irony at all.

You want irony, okay then, here ya go -

Falklands vet Simon Weston got his face burned off and married a babe, that bird who finished the London Marathon 14 days too late with her cheaty bionic legs, she's got a partner and a kid - Me, a relatively normal bloke, can't even get a handjob off a fat bird.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ May 10 2012, 6:10 PM BST

You want irony, okay then, here ya go -

Falklands vet Simon Weston got his face burned off and married a babe, that bird who finished the London Marathon 14 days too late with her cheaty bionic legs, she's got a partner and a kid - Me, a relatively normal bloke, can't even get a handjob off a fat bird.

Well that prooooves it's your face and legs that are putting the girls off.

Quote: billwill @ May 10 2012, 6:13 PM BST

Well that prooooves it's your face and legs that are putting the girls off.

And my stinky knob.