Cardinal Burns - Series 1 Page 2

So, the show is terrible, Sooty, but it would let rip on stage? Could you please explain this leap?

Oh and I liked the Banksy bits and the French Fly. I just remembered them. I was probably drunk on Chilean rum last night.

Because jokes work diferently.

e.g. the hawk sketch live on stage would be great some guy imitating troilism with birds and mugging etc that'd be funny if it's right on your face. But not so much on the stage.

As would that lovely little punchline.

Similarly on Pappy's pilot all that running into the audience was dull.
But live it's wild.

Does that answer your question Ben?

Not really as you contradict yourself at the end of the hawk explanation!

Quote: Ben @ May 9 2012, 9:27 PM BST

Oh and I liked the Banksy bits

This kind of gag was done infinitely better under Leigh Francis on Bo Selecta! If I could be bothered, I could probably go through every sketch and say - 'this is where they got that bit', 'that joke was featured in such and such a sketch show', 'that is just a wholesale rip off of XYZ'.

The style of humour, the delivery, the sketches without a punchline and the bland performances are all symptomatic of a dearth of imagination. I would imagine the only difference between the Cardinal Burns filmed version and CB live would be the addition of extra swearing for added 'funny'.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ May 9 2012, 10:27 PM BST

This kind of gag was done infinitely better under Leigh Francis on Bo Selecta! If I could be bothered, I could probably go through every sketch and say - 'this is where they got that bit', 'that joke was featured in such and such a sketch show', 'that is just a wholesale rip off of XYZ'.

Such superior comedic taste and knowledge... Lovey

What a perplexing programme. I did not hate it.

Quote: Ben @ May 9 2012, 10:10 PM BST

Not really as you contradict yourself at the end of the hawk explanation!

Nope Ben I don't.

The line works better on a stage, it works with a nod and a wink to the audience.

I quite enjoyed the zombie sketch at the beginning - I like stuff that looks like it has a bit of money behind it. I thought it was funny.

The zombie sketch, like the guy was on a bike sort of wrong footed me.

Quote: sootyj @ May 10 2012, 3:47 AM BST

Nope Ben I don't.

The line works better on a stage, it works with a nod and a wink to the audience.

Well first of all you say it would work on stage and then claim it wouldn't work on stage so much, so you know...

Stop the madness - this E4 sketch show is tearing us apart!

I really enjoyed this show. Laughed out loud loads and I'm usually quite cynical about current sketch shows. It will be interesting to see how much repetition of characters and jokes will be present in future episodes but if they keep it quite low then this could be a really good show.

Favourite sketches were the office flirt, Banksy and vomit on the crime scene. Although I enjoyed quite a few.

Quote: Ben @ May 10 2012, 2:35 PM BST

Well first of all you say it would work on stage and then claim it wouldn't work on stage so much, so you know...

No both times I say it would work on the stage.

Why are you defending this moribund show?

And stage performances create a natural stagey atmosphere which suits this material more.

SootyJ, I can only assume that your grammar has baffled me.

I haven't defended the show. Merely said I liked several of the sketches.

It would be more accurate to say you attacked me.