The Sitcom Mission 2012 Page 76

Quote: mackness @ May 9 2012, 8:43 PM BST

Just out of curiousity, how many of the finalists had attended the workshops?

I haven't attended the workshops - I used the feedback I received from the BBC Writer's room on a different sitcom to try to improve.
But final 16 isn't good enough - I really wanted to go to the Diorama - so I will be buying the e-book to use a reference, and after working with Simon and Declan I will attend a workshop later in the year.
They are fountains of knowledge and experience.
Though I question their judgement at the final 16 stage :P

Actually, is the e-book available in a PDF format? I haven't got a Kindle.
Ooops.

If you've got a PC or Mac (or iPhone/Android/tablet) you can download the Kindle app for your computer (or phone/device), and read it like an e-book.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/kindle/pc http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/kindle/mac

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/feature.html/ref=amb_link_157484067_3?ie=UTF8&docId=1000425503&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-9&pf_rd_r=1F182ATDC6P9KQKC93M3&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_p=225433427&pf_rd_i=1000423923

Quote: simon wright @ May 9 2012, 6:19 PM BST

Let's stick to this forum for now. If we come up with a date and venue then we could always copy it across to other boards.

So, who's up for it?

Me!

Are we looking at something in the next couple of weeks, or are you guys still recovering?

I'm always interested in the event thingy. Especially if I'm learning stuff like how to writings good do.

I made a previous longlist (2010?) after attending one of the workshops. It was excellent but I imagine they have come on even further since then.

Dan

OK who can make a drinks get together on June 20th?

That's a "Very Possibly" from me.

I must say, I approve of these 'corporate-facing' avatars of Simon and Declan. Very professional!

Dan

Quote: simon wright @ May 10 2012, 2:40 PM BST

OK who can make a drinks get together on June 20th?

Works for me. I'll see if I can bully my writing partner into coming along too.

'I must say, I approve of these 'corporate-facing' avatars of Simon and Declan. Very professional!'

We dressed up for industry to con them into thinking we own things.

A Wednesday? That's the worst day ever for us non-London folks. Sniff. Teary

Quote: richiemoomoo @ May 10 2012, 4:06 PM BST

A Wednesday? That's the worst day ever for us non-London folks. Sniff. Teary

We'd like to make it a regular thing, so why not come along and tell us all why it should be on a Fri/Sat/Sun?

If I can arrange to have a meeting in town, I could make that.
Possibly.

Righto, so we're at the Priory Arms in Stockwell on June 20th.

http://www.theprioryarms.co.uk/contact.php

We'll be combining the networking evening with a new scratch night. You're invited to send in a script - either new or a previous entry - and we'll pick three at random to perform that night by professional actors as a rehearsed reading (you won't know until the night which three we're performing).

Simon and I will then give some feedback, the actors will give feedback, and, if there's time, we'll open it out to the floor.

We'll start the night at 7pm for networking, at 7.45 we'll have the three script readings and then finish with some more chat and networking. We need to charge £1 entry in order to pay for the room.

Deadline for scripts is June 13. Email them to info@sitcommission.com with the subject matter June 20 Sub-Mission.

Quote: Declan @ May 10 2012, 11:54 PM BST

We'll be combining the networking evening with a new scratch night. You're invited to send in a script - either new or a previous entry - and we'll pick three at random to perform that night by professional actors as a rehearsed reading (you won't know until the night which three we're performing).

Sounds like a great idea :)

Quote: simon wright @ May 10 2012, 6:38 PM BST

We'd like to make it a regular thing, so why not come along and tell us all why it should be on a Fri/Sat/Sun?

Indeed I will! I shall bring my own podium. Crafted from intricate twigs.

does the script have to be 15 minutes again?

and this wouldn't affect a script's chances in next year's sitcommission?
(I mean could we use this as early-doors free development time)

ps. I'm interested in meeting a writing partner, to work on joint projects. I will still work on my own projects, but am interested to see how I would work with someone.
My sitcom 'Non Stop Drop' got to the final 16, and would be interested in meeting/working with someone who has similar experience, and is thinking of working as a partnership, while still working solo on pet projects.
I think my strengths are dialogue/funny lines - I maybe need help from great storytellers/character builders.

Quote: mackness @ May 11 2012, 4:05 PM BST

does the script have to be 15 minutes again?

and this wouldn't affect a script's chances in next year's sitcommission?

Yes, it still needs to fit SM criteria

and

Yes, you're best using it to hear new work performed live. But remember that the scripts are picked at random and you won't know which ones are performed until the night.

Does the script have to be 15 minutes again? And this wouldn't affect a script's chances in next year's sitcommission?

We're really keen on people who work at their craft, so if you used the night as 'early doors development time' we'd be more likely to be impressed than put off.

And, yes, 15 mins please. Slightly under is acceptable. More than 15 and you'll get gonged off.