The Sitcom Mission 2012 Page 75

This was my latest suggestion for a sitcom writers social (the LCW lot also do sketches). This was posted on the 1st Jan:

'I'd like to kick off this year by saying a huge 'thank you' for the amazing work that Mark and Aaron do for this website.

It's a brilliant resource for comedy writers, and long may it continue.

We owe you.

On the subject of booze, how do people feel about an occasional/monthly/bi-monthly comedy writers get together? Pubs are desperate for business. If we can promise them 30 people we'll get a free room somewhere.

We're a bit busy with workshops, scripts, meetings, upcoming shows etc so does anybody want to take on the mantle of social secretary?

Go on, go on, go on...you know you want to.

If not you who? If not now when?'

Don't have the energy to trawl through the 2011 forum to find out when I last mentioned it there. If you do, good luck to you.

I would definitely be up for coming along, Simon. :)

Quote: simon wright @ May 8 2012, 6:25 PM BST

This was my latest suggestion for a sitcom writers social (the LCW lot also do sketches). This was posted on the 1st Jan:

'I'd like to kick off this year by saying a huge 'thank you' for the amazing work that Mark and Aaron do for this website.

It's a brilliant resource for comedy writers, and long may it continue.

We owe you.

On the subject of booze, how do people feel about an occasional/monthly/bi-monthly comedy writers get together? Pubs are desperate for business. If we can promise them 30 people we'll get a free room somewhere.

We're a bit busy with workshops, scripts, meetings, upcoming shows etc so does anybody want to take on the mantle of social secretary?

Go on, go on, go on...you know you want to.

I wasn't meaning to suggest it hadn't happened, just that as a relatively infrequent visitor it had passed me by. Still up for it but not really in a position to be a social secretary.

If not you who? If not now when?'

Don't have the energy to trawl through the 2011 forum to find out when I last mentioned it there. If you do, good luck to you.

I've been following this thread over the last few months, and have only now decided to post after the Sitcom Mission 2012 has finished. Not entirely rational, but never mind.

I'm pleased to say that I got to the Semi Finals (along with my writing partner) and echo other's sentiments that it was an incredibly useful experience. In particular, working with professional actors was very rewarding as they necessarily applied a level of scrutiny to character motivation that I hadn't entirely envisaged.

I'd like to add that although the standard was high, it was also achievable. I say this not to criticise, but to encourage people not to be put off. The writers' experience was mixed - some professionals, others (like me) had never submitted anything before, but I don't think there were any run-away favourites. In my opinion a few small revisions here and there could easily've bumped other sitcoms into the final.

Finally - would love to come down to that there London to meet with other writers. Seems to be interest amongst people on the forum. Happy to help organise. However, as I'm based in Cambridge I'm probably not the best person to advise on pub choice. Anyone else got any thoughts? Somewhere relatively central would make sense.

I've looked at the map and to be fair to everybody from different parts of the country- Norwich would seem to be the ideal location.

Quote: Stevie D @ May 9 2012, 1:24 PM BST

to encourage people not to be put off... others (like me) had never submitted anything before

To the people who have been failing repeatedly to get anything into the Sitcom Mission for years, the second bit is not as encouraging as you think!

Dan

Finally - would love to come down to that there London to meet with other writers. Seems to be interest amongst people on the forum. Happy to help organise. However, as I'm based in Cambridge I'm probably not the best person to advise on pub choice. Anyone else got any thoughts? Somewhere relatively central would make sense.

We've got a couple of tame pubs in mind, so don't worry about the venue. We'll organise that.

Just wanted so to say a huge thanks to Simon and Declan. This was the first time I've entered the competition and I made the last 16.
To have their advice and knowledge and to have actors perform my work was priceless. Gutted not to make the Diorama - but there is always next year. I'm entering 3 scripts this time. I want 1st, 2nd and 3rd. ;)

Quote: swerytd @ May 9 2012, 3:35 PM BST

To the people who have been failing repeatedly to get anything into the Sitcom Mission for years, the second bit is not as encouraging as you think!

Dan

Good point Dan! Apologies if I came across as smug!

The one thing that made a huge difference for us was attending Simon and Declan's introduction to sitcom writing workshop (plug). We already had a few ideas, but the workshop provided a useful framework from which to approach thes ideas. It helped us tidy up the plotting and emphasised the importance of strong characterisation. We also went through the guidelines with a fine tooth comb to ensure we weren't making life difficult for ourselves. Occasionally this involved swallowing our pride and accepting that some of our "hilarious" material might not be quite as rib ticklingly funny as we thought.

Simon - in which case we have interest, we have possible venues, we just need a date! Is it best to start a new thread for this? I assume under writers' discussion?

Quote: mackness @ May 9 2012, 4:14 PM BST

This was the first time I've entered the competition and I made the last 16.

*Sigh*

Quote: Stevie D @ May 9 2012, 4:28 PM BST

Good point Dan! Apologies if I came across as smug!

No probs. I was never going to win to be honest: I didn't enter this time around :)

Dan

Quote: mackness @ May 9 2012, 4:14 PM BST
This was the first time I've entered the competition and I made the last 16.

*Sigh*

No need to sigh - I've been dabbling in copywriting for years in the advertising world, before that 10 years in the art world producing text driven artworks, and in the last few years entered BBC writers room and entered many a comedy or short film competition.

'Throw enough shit (finely crafted comedy scripts) and some will stick (get to the last 16 of the best sitcom competition in the world)

Just out of curiousity, how many of the finalists had attended the workshops?

Quote: Stevie D @ May 9 2012, 4:28 PM BST

Simon - in which case we have interest, we have possible venues, we just need a date! Is it best to start a new thread for this? I assume under writers' discussion?

Let's stick to this forum for now. If we come up with a date and venue then we could always copy it across to other boards.

So, who's up for it?

Quote: evan rubivellian @ May 9 2012, 4:43 PM BST

Snez Naik attended Introduction to Sitcom Writing, as did Annabel Dooley and Emma Edwards, winners in 2011.
Sarah Christou used our e-book as a template.
Emma Cochrane attended Help! I've Written A Script for her previous entry in 2011, which made the longlist.

I haven't attended the workshops - I used the feedback I received from the BBC Writer's room on a different sitcom to try to improve.
But final 16 isn't good enough - I really wanted to go to the Diorama - so I will be buying the e-book to use a reference, and after working with Simon and Declan I will attend a workshop later in the year.
They are fountains of knowledge and experience.
Though I question their judgement at the final 16 stage :P

Actually, is the e-book available in a PDF format? I haven't got a Kindle.
Ooops.