Cardinal Burns - Series 1

So halfway through this debacle and it is everything that is wrong with modern sketch shows. The funny voices and wigs combo only works if there is a traditional set up and punchline logic to the sketches. This is just people randomly saying stuff.

Really, how the hell did this unfunny dross get commissioned?

EDIT: Watched the last half, about as hilarious as a three legged kitten with brain cancer falling into a wood chipper. The credits whizzed by at high speed and out of focus - I think this was done deliberately as you'd be mightily embarrassed to be associated with this drivel.

Only watched the first ten minutes or so, so far, and I mostly enjoyed it. The Office Flirt one was great, and I liked the audition sketch, and the Zombie one, too.

Haven't seen the show yet but it would be a shame if they didn't translate to TV - their live show is phenomenal.

The guy from the Guardian liked it alot.

But yeh stage to screen is a huge leap. I mean Pappy's C4 pilot was quite unbelievable, where as I've seen them literally shaking tents with laughter at live comedy events.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 9 2012, 9:07 AM BST

Only watched the first ten minutes or so, so far, and I mostly enjoyed it. The Office Flirt one was great, and I liked the audition sketch, and the Zombie one, too.

It's happening again, isn't it Matthew? You are deliberately liking badly made comedy just to wind me up.

The audition sketch was painfully predictable and overly long - if you are going to do an audition sketch, then give it a new twist - such as a one legged Tarzan or a timid young actress who says orange juice like a middle aged Jamaican.

And that was my problem with the whole show, I'd felt like I'd seen all of these characters / sketches before - such as the middle class street poet and the squeamish cops. Even the French fly trainer felt like something that Noel Fielding might have discarded in a moment of rare sobriety.

As for the main comedians, they really didn't bring anything to the performances either, except for the mini-cab controllers, where I saw a small spark of characterisation - even if it was heavily reminiscent of the snooker commentators from Mitchell & Webb.

If the first episode was the strongest of the lot, I won't be catching anymore of this insipid garbage. But just to finish on a positive: they did have a nice collection of attractive young actresses scattered throughout the show.

Quote: sootyj @ May 9 2012, 10:20 AM BST

The guy from the Guardian liked it alot.

Well, that's my argument destroyed then. Unimpressed

I liked it. I think they're very good performers and the material very good.

I watched the clips on the BCG link which put me off even watching this.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ May 9 2012, 11:55 AM BST

It's happening again, isn't it Matthew? You are deliberately liking badly made comedy just to wind me up.

The section I saw wasn't badly made, it just doesn't seem to have made you laugh. I thought the street poet bit was duff.

Matt I may start calling you Rhett Butler and not just because you look gorgeous in jodhpurs.

Quote: sootyj @ May 9 2012, 1:25 PM BST

Matt I may start calling you Rhett Butler and not just because you look gorgeous in jodhpurs.

Not sure I get your meaning; do you mean because I've said nice things about something others find 'bad'?

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 9 2012, 1:30 PM BST

Not sure I get your meaning; do you mean because I've said nice things about something others find 'bad'?

Because when it comes to critically appraising comedy - you just don't give a damn?

Huh?

Oh and you were imprisoned by the Yankees for stealing Confederate gold, obviously.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 9 2012, 9:07 AM BST

They were all very good sketches. I can't actually remember much else about the show, but I'll tune in again.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 9 2012, 1:30 PM BST

Because you only have a passion for causes when they are truly lost.

This show was terrible.

I could skits working better on the stage.

Quote: sootyj @ May 9 2012, 9:11 PM BST

Because you only have a passion for causes when they are truly lost.

This show was terrible.

It didn't look terrible to me, I laughed a few times. Seems like it got a decent critical reception all in all too.

Yeh it's better than a lot of other stuff on telly, I mean its a breath of fresh air after Noel Fielding's Luxury Comedy.

But I could just picture some of those sketches letting rip live on a stage.