Paris

Six parter done by Linehan and Matthews starring Alexei Sayle.

1994 according to IMDB.

Anyone remember anything of it? Have a copy? Do copies exist?

Help...

If it stars Alexei Sayle, its status as a comedy is highly debatable.

(That's a no to the first two questions.)

It was apparently not very good, and having seen some clips I might be inclined to agree.

Quote: Aaron @ January 4, 2008, 12:52 PM

Yeah, he's such a pompous twat.

It starred Neil Morrissey as well, apparently. Never heard of it until today.

Quote: earman2009 @ January 4, 2008, 4:59 PM

It starred Neil Morrissey as well, apparently. Never heard of it until today.

It's much forgotten. Even by Linehan and Mathews.

I liked it a lot. I have a decent bootleg copy of all six episodes on DVD.

Quote: Aaron @ January 4 2008, 6:52 PM BST

(That's a no to the first two questions.)

I don't know he was funny in The Young Ones IMO, and saw a little bit of Alexei Sayle's Stuff once and didn't think it was too bad.

From what (admittedly relatively little, of his entire career) I've seen, I've never been impressed. I really must get around to watching Paris though.

If nothing else Paris is proof that writers can start their careers with a terribly recieved sitcom and still bounce back with great work.

Sayle's one of our greatest comedians, that nihilistic cum surreal stuff he did in his early days was mind blowingly good, for me his cameos were the real reason to watch The Young Ones, although the rest was good as well. He was very new and original when he sprang up on TV, he made a lot of people take notice of him. I just wish he'd perform again, I love his big passionate style.

But I completely missed Paris, I hardly remember hearing anything about it and until now had totally forgotten it. I assume it sunk without trace because it has such a low profile for a sitcom created by and starring such big names.

'Paris' was excellent - the best thing he's done.
Whimsical, aspiration and with a very benevolent sense of life - I was very disappointed at its cancellation and I seem recall Sayle expressing his dismay with C4's decision too - they never gave it a chance.
It was the perfect vehicle for Sayle's bombastic yet subtle and subversive style.
The masterly self-mocking reminded me of Tony Hancock, it was that good.

Loved Paris. Was only 17 at the time and found it very funny - just my kind of humour. :0) Any idea where I can get it on DVD? YouTube don't have any episodes...

Quote: Lord Chatterley @ August 26 2010, 1:34 AM BST

'Paris' was excellent - the best thing he's done.
Whimsical, aspiration and with a very benevolent sense of life - I was very disappointed at its cancellation and I seem recall Sayle expressing his dismay with C4's decision too - they never gave it a chance.
It was the perfect vehicle for Sayle's bombastic yet subtle and subversive style.
The masterly self-mocking reminded me of Tony Hancock, it was that good.

I love that this guy came to the forum with such single purpose.

I do vaguely remember this, and liking it - surprised there was only one series of it made (not because I remember more, just that NZ TV programmers were not known for showing things that weren't 'hits' already, regardless of merit).

This was a real little gem of a show, not Linehan and Matthews best work by a long shot but well worth seeing.