Comedies that went on for too long Page 5

Quote: Tom G @ February 4 2012, 2:18 PM GMT

The Royle Family, should have stopped when nana died.

God no, that's the point it became possible to relax, knowing that there was no longer a risk of her appearing.

It lost touch with reality then though. They made Dave and Denise too stupid to be real, I'm sure I remeber a scene where Dave had a bath with a Turkey to defrost it!

Mrs. Brown's Boys.

Quote: Tom G @ February 4 2012, 2:18 PM GMT

Coupling, should have stopped after Jeff left.

Coupling should have stopped after the opening credits, but I take your point Richard Coyle was the best thing about the show.

Quote: David Carmon @ December 4 2011, 3:15 AM GMT

Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps (two series too many)
My Family (one series too many)
Roseanne (one series too many)
The Office (HATE IT)
The Royle Family (HATE HATE HATE Jims spotty nose)
Never The Twain (Yawn)
3rd Rock From The Sun (one series too many)
Frasier
2point4 Children (one series too many) - who ever thought I'd say that!!!!
Only Fools and Horses (Last episode was 1 too far)
As Time Goes Dry (I mean By) (love it, but they dragged it out)
The Inbetweeners (If we can't have a 4th series then the first 3 meant nothing)
Big Top
The Brittas Empire (series too many)

The Royal Bodyguard can be added the my list, went on for 5 episodes too long.

Apologies if I mangle this in the quoting, but I love Alexei Sayle's line about 'Allo 'Allo "it went on longer than the actual war... and caused more suffering."

I think the worst ones would be Roseanne, which was a long time favourite that just went insanely bad in the last season (though partly redeemed itself in the last eppy) and OFAH which had the perfect ending, then utterly undermined it when it came back again. And like others I'd say Red Dwarf a massive favourite which turned to crud towards the end - though I'm still holding out hope they could somehow turn it around again with the new series on Dave.

Red Dwarf Red Dwarf Red Dwarf... Should have stopped after series 6.

Absolutely Fabulous?, Vicar of Dibley...

Oh yes, talking of Alexei Sayle... Adrian Edmondson is a great comedian but I can't help but feel the likes of Alexei stole some of his limelight.

I don't believe Bottom went for long enough, The Young Ones were just right for its time frame span, what's that other one, Ritchy Rich?... but what taught me a valuable lesson is good comedy can be made into great comedy if the circumstances fit the comedian...

eg, Bottom vs The Young ones... they should be equally as funny but they're not, Bottom is far superior because the sitcoms they do fit their personalities well. anyway that's my opinion :D

Quote: cjdelphi @ April 18 2012, 9:42 AM BST

I don't believe Bottom went for long enough, The Young Ones were just right for its time frame span, what's that other one, Ritchy Rich?...

Filthy, Rich And Catflap.

Quote: Aaron @ February 4 2012, 2:32 PM GMT

God no, that's the point it became possible to relax, knowing that there was no longer a risk of her appearing.

The episode where Nana died is absolutely horrendous, apart form the touching scenes towards the end. What has followed has been half good and half crap but nothing worse than that episode.

The Royle Family is still OK but if it had stopped after Series 2, it would have gone down in history with Fawlty Towers IMO. Perhaps even higher because not only were those two series brilliant, they were also genre changing.

Not even a tenth percentile as funny though.

Quote: Aaron @ April 18 2012, 12:32 PM BST

Not even a tenth percentile as funny though.

Seriously harsh that. It's not quite as funny but it's pretty close. Dialogue in the first two series of Royle Family was terrific, fantastic line after line.

Dunno if this makes a difference but I'm a Northerner, so I find it easily identifiable. Perhaps you live in a castle and have a maid service, Aaron? ;)

I think he does rick...