Comedy you want to like, but don't Page 16

Quote: sootyj @ July 5 2011, 10:11 PM BST

I think I mean well written compared against a lot of contemporary stuff.
In that it actually has some sort of classic sitcom structure.

But it's mostly a direct copy of golden age sitcoms and often just seems to give up.

And Miranda herself is just annoying and a lumpen performer in my view.

Miranda has an appeal to all audiences. She's not really targeting any specific group. You know who really does not seem to like her? Micheal Webb.

Who?

Laughing out loud

oops, Robert Webb lol, I don't find him that funny...

He's great in Peep Show and was The Smoking Room. But on panel shows comes across a bit arrogant.

Quote: cjdelphi @ April 18 2012, 12:52 PM BST

oops, Robert Webb lol, I don't find him that funny...

Why do you think he doesn't like Miranda?

Mighty Boosh, I have been forced by friends to get into many times but just cant.

The Thick of it.

I love every other show that Armando Iannucci has been involved in, but not this one. To me it just feels like an unpleasant man shouting and swearing at some other unpleasant people (and not in an entertaining way). I see the satire, but don't find it funny in this form.

Unfortunately it's one of those shows where if you say you don't like it, it makes sound like you're not clever enough to 'get it', which isn't the case (I hope).

I think most of the comedies you want to like but don't are made by people whose work you normally enjoy. Other examples (for me) of shows I don't like by people I normally find funny would be Nathan Barley, Fresh Meat, Life's Too Short, Dr Terrible's House of Horrible, Rock & Chips, The Fast Show. I'm sure I've forgotten some.

I also loved the original 1980s series of Auf Wiedersehen, Pet but was really disappointed by the return series on the BBC a few years ago. Never mind!

Quote: DougWonnacott @ April 23 2012, 1:48 PM BST

The Thick of it.

I love every other show that Armando Iannucci has been involved in, but not this one. To me it just feels like an unpleasant man shouting and swearing at some other unpleasant people (and not in an entertaining way). I see the satire, but don't find it funny in this form.

Unfortunately it's one of those shows where if you say you don't like it, it makes sound like you're not clever enough to 'get it', which isn't the case (I hope).

It's never done an awful lot for me, either.

Black Books is one of those ones where you wish it was better than it is

Quote: jsg @ 17th May 2019, 7:07 PM

Black Books is one of those ones where you wish it was better than it is

Do you mean you wish it was less off-the-wall? Given its writers it's going to be a little bit off-the-wall. Or do you mean you wish it was as good as Father Ted?

Quote: Lee @ 18th April 2012, 3:51 PM

He's great in Peep Show and was The Smoking Room. But on panel shows comes across a bit arrogant.

I knew him a bit at Cambridge. There's a fine line between self belief and thinking you are the centre of the known and unknown universe.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 18th May 2019, 11:48 AM

Do you mean you wish it was less off-the-wall? Given its writers it's going to be a little bit off-the-wall. Or do you mean you wish it was as good as Father Ted?

I don't really like Linehan but I do like Moran, so I want it to be good, but I find it patchy at the best of times. The parts I enjoy about it aren't present enough for me to give much of an endorsement of it. A sitcom written by Moran that didn't have Linehan's repetitive style on it would be great.

Allo Allo. I want to like it and I've tried watching it, it's not funny imo. I really like Croft/Perry/Lloyd's work, but Allo Allo is something I don't find funny, even though I am trying to like it

Quote: Wheel @ 19th May 2019, 9:00 PM

Allo Allo. I want to like it and I've tried watching it, it's not funny imo. I really like Croft/Perry/Lloyd's work, but Allo Allo is something I don't find funny, even though I am trying to like it

I'm definitely with you on this one. I've watche it a few times but for some reason just can't get into it.