Current radio comedy Page 94

And a little less determined to like some things on principle. Part of being young is the effort you put into trying to appreciate things that you feel you should 'get'.

Seeing as how it's got so little publicity, I thought I'd just mention that today is I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue's 40th anniversary.

My First Planet was OK in the dreaded 11:30am slot, considering there seems to be a requirement to be 'gentle' at that hour.

Quote: Nogget @ April 11 2012, 9:30 PM BST

My First Planet was OK in the dreaded 11:30am slot, considering there seems to be a requirement to be 'gentle' at that hour.

Pretty much my feelings to. I thought it coped well in the slot.

Better Ed Reardon episode this week, love the writing class bits.

Listened to Ken Dodd's Palace of laughter on iPlayer this afternoon. It was excellently scripted with Doddy's fantastic comedy timing. Well worth a listen.

Quote: Nogget @ April 11 2012, 9:30 PM BST

11.30am is "They've moved from their beds to their chairs. Keep it 'gentle'"

6.30pm is "They've just come home from their admin jobs. Nothing too challenging while they are making the dinner"

11.30pm used to be "Nobody is listening. Do whatever you want (within reason)" but recently seems to be "Pension top-up for people who don't need to be on the radio"

Having said that, the new Jarvis Cocker thing on Radio 4 is brilliant...but not funny enough to be on this thread.

Just caught My First Planet on iPlayer. Amusing in places, but hardly the fayre to inspire books, a TV series and a film.

I always feel sorry for the live audience with this style of 'gentle' humour. The announcer's opening title shout is greeted with wild applause and for the next thirty minutes that's as good as it gets.

What is the audience after show reaction to Radio 4 comedy recordings?
Well, it was free.
I had nothing better to do.
I was interested in the technical side.
Sorry, I slept through the whole thing.

My first planet - How does this stuff get commissioned?

Was listening in the car to some God awful musical comedy thing on Radio 4. I hate musical comedy so very much.

Quote: Tursiops @ April 12 2012, 10:20 PM BST

Was listening in the car to some God awful musical comedy thing on Radio 4. I hate musical comedy so very much.

Was it Alex Horne Presents the Horne Section?

Ah yes that was it. Atrocious.

Bleak Expectations continues to be excellent.

Today at 11:30 am BBC Radio 4 is repeating S4 of Another Case of Milton Jones. :D

Highly recommend Al Read Show on radio 4 extra from yesterday (go on the listen again page).
The northern comic's monologues from the 1950s, very much of it's day but still made me laugh out loud.

Quote: freddie gagtella @ April 13 2012, 7:01 AM BST

Highly recommend Al Read Show on radio 4 extra from yesterday (go on the listen again page).
The northern comic's monologues from the 1950s, very much of it's day but still made me laugh out loud.

Conversely, I find it entirely a laugh-free zone. It just seems to be silly voices