The Matt Lucas Awards - Series 1

Not sure if there is a thread for this, but if not, here be one now.

Absolutely loved this. The format reminded me a bit of Fantasy Football meets Room 101 but it played second fiddle to Lucas, who was brilliantly funny.

As a Mash and Peas fan, it was great to see Morph return and loved all the Arsenal references. It really was my sense of humour, so I might be slightly biased to just how good this little show was.

Very funny and very enjoyable.

WTF was that bit about with the toilet though? And why do we need his mum there?

It disappointed me, some of it was awful. It hasn't made the leap from radio too well.

I was hoping to like it (I've liked listening to the radio show in the past), but unfortunately I thought it was pretty weak. :(

Graeme Garden seemed like he didn't want to be there, and I don't think Jason Manford said a funny word all night. The only saving grace was Henning Wehn.

I'll give it a go again next week though, and see if it improves.

I never listened to it on the radio, so have nothing to compare it to.

Maybe I'm easily pleased.

I think it has deviated too far from the original radio version, and from that matter the original pilot. What was the point in setting it in "Lucas's flat", or that bit with the woman on the toilet? Thank goodness at least for Henning Wehn's efficent nature made up for the lack of humour (and that he was awarded for it).

Wehn was dreadful. Manford looked uncomfortable. Garden somehow failed to make any impression on me whatsoever. I really enjoyed the pilot and the spoof awards vibe it had, so I really am clueless as to why they felt they had to concept it up for the series.

Having said that, I didn't hate it. It certainly didn't capture me, but Lucas himself was great and it didn't completely turn me off. I'll be tuning in next week, but I just hope to God that they didn't decide to broadcast the strongest episode first.

Was the man on the keyboards John Peel's love child?

Matt Lucas is a very congenial host and liked him very much. I enjoyed the format although the material was a bit ropey. Dopey national cliches that at least Henning Wehn freshens up (we've just awarded ourselves Europe).

Graeme Garden looked awkward on stage singing 35 years ago and has not improved.

First show though and will certainly be watching again.

Quote: youngian @ April 11 2012, 1:52 PM BST

Was the man on the keyboards John Peel's love child?

:O

That was award winning film composer David Arnold!

I wanted to enjoy it, but they've just really overdone it with the 'funny' setting. None of it is original either - there have been plenty of chat-style shows set in someone's living room, plenty of shows with a random and inappropriate family member in the corner, plenty of shows with unnecessary live musical accompaniment. Rather than adding to the appeal of the show it just distracted from the comedians.

Also, Henning Wehn did the same China material as he did on this week's Unbelievable Truth, so that ruined that bit for me.

Quote: Harridan @ April 11 2012, 2:18 PM BST

Also, Henning Wehn did the same China material as he did on this week's Unbelievable Truth, so that ruined that bit for me.

I noticed that too, but I listened to Unbelievable Truth after watching the Lucas Awards. He was still the best guest on the show by far though.

I do wonder what was up with Graeme Garden. He must surely have known what the show was going to be like before agreeing to go on it? And since he was on it, he could have put a bit of effort in, rather than looking thoroughly bored and bemused. Errr

I thought the toilet sketch was funny, but not for the reason intended. It was the combined fact that it was a rubbish sketch and the audience clearly had no idea what to make of it!

Quote: Jack F @ April 11 2012, 4:05 PM BST

I do wonder what was up with Graeme Garden. He must surely have known what the show was going to be like before agreeing to go on it? And since he was on it, he could have put a bit of effort in, rather than looking thoroughly bored and bemused. Errr

I think he was just being extreeeeemely dry, rather than bored or annoyed or something.
Could be wrong though.

The BBC must have had very little confidence with this programme as it was shown at 10.35pm. Didn't see a funny joke anywhere!

Quote: Jack F @ April 11 2012, 4:05 PM BST

I noticed that too, but I listened to Unbelievable Truth after watching the Lucas Awards. He was still the best guest on the show by far though.

Perhaps it was past his cocoa...?

Quote: Charlie Boy @ April 11 2012, 8:23 PM BST

The BBC must have had very little confidence with this programme as it was shown at 10.35pm. Didn't see a funny joke anywhere!

They've given it the post-Graham Norton slot on Friday night too (which is quite a nice slot) so I think they do have some confidence in it. Maybe it'll be less so if they read some of these comments though.

I'm going to wait next week till passing judgement as it seems the show does hinge quite a lot on who the guests are, and what the award categories are.

There's preview clips of the two other weeks in our guide if you want to pass judgement a bit more now though.

Quote: Charlie Boy @ April 11 2012, 8:23 PM BST

Didn't see a funny joke anywhere!

I'm going to have to disagree with you, I laughed several times and out loud during this programme which is more then can be said for a lot of the other panel style shows out there.

But more then that, I found The Matt Lucas Awards to have genuine charm, especially compared to cack like Ask Rhod Gilbert or Mock The Week.