Scottish versus Irish comedy

Which do you find funnier: Scottish or Irish comedy?
I think with the exception of Father Ted I can't think of many good Irish comedies. Anyone want to enlighten me?
Once you get over deciphering the accent though, there are some good Scottish ones. Still Game and Rab C Nesbitt immediately spring to mind. Some of it we can't get here though. Would love to see Happy Hollidays on my screen. Ford Keirnon and Gavin Mitchell are great.

How do you make a ouija board?

Take away his Buckfast!

(How do you make a weegie bored!)

nice one :P

It's all MacApples and O'Ranges.

I think that there really aren't that many good Irish comedies. As pointed out Fr. Ted being the exception. Even on the Irish channels there has never really been a good sitcom. Lenihan and Matthews had to go to Channel 4 to get Fr. Ted made so maybe it says something about the closed-mindedness of the Irish channels.

I don't think we are short of good writers but with RTE you generally have to know someone or be a big name already or produce something that the masses lap up but is generally really bad.

There was D'unbelievables played by Pat Shortt(Tom 'I shot JR' tshirt wearer in Fr. Ted) and Jon Kenny(cinema owner and Eurovision presenter in Fr. Ted) where they spoof rural Ireland.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=cEAmtauCdsE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXbYvbR9piA&feature=related

Scottish-wise I only really know Rab C Nesbitt but I've always quite liked it.

Quote: Otterfox @ February 7 2012, 11:34 PM GMT

Scottish-wise I only really know Rab C Nesbitt but I've always quite liked it.

You've missed out on Chewing The Fat and Still Game then ?Huh?

Regarding Irish comedies I only really know of Father Ted and Mrs Browns Boys.

As for Scotland there have been plenty of good shows that only been shown in Scotland.

Robert Florence and Iain Connell have written Empty, Legit and Burnistoun which were all good.

Still Game, Chewin The Fat, Happy Hollidays, Dear Green Place and The Karen Dunbar Show were all done by the same group of people, the first 2 being the better.

Then Gregor Fisher has done Rab C Nesbitt, The Baldy Man, Snoddy, Naked Video and one of my favourites The Tales Of Para Handy.

There isn't enough of either on English TV, I loved what I saw of Still Game, but it became impossible to find it on at a sensible time. RCN and FT were the only two easy to find sitcoms from either country. I'm not a big sketch show fan so I wouldn't have seen them anyway. Scottish comedy has always seemed proudly Scottish to me, it's got a stronger identity and really tucks into Scottish mores. Whereas the best Irish sitcom had to be made in England because well, it seems the Irish aren't all that keen at laughing at themselves. That's my own opinion as a mere half Celt but I could be wrong.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ February 8 2012, 10:18 AM GMT

There isn't enough of either on English TV, I loved what I saw of Still Game, but it became impossible to find it on at a sensible time. RCN and FT were the only two easy to find sitcoms from either country. I'm not a big sketch show fan so I wouldn't have seen them anyway. Scottish comedy has always seemed proudly Scottish to me, it's got a stronger identity and really tucks into Scottish mores. Whereas the best Irish sitcom had to be made in England because well, it seems the Irish aren't all that keen at laughing at themselves. That's my own opinion as a mere half Celt but I could be wrong.

It wasn't made in England though was it? It was filmed off the west coast of Ireland, County Clare I believe. :P

But yeah, I know what you mean with Channel 4 producing it.

I'm not sure regarding your assumption that the Irish aren't all that keen at laughing at themselves, they take the piss out of themselves with gay abandon IMO.

Quote: Otterfox @ February 7 2012, 11:34 PM GMT

I think that there really aren't that many good Irish comedies. As pointed out Fr. Ted being the exception. Even on the Irish channels there has never really been a good sitcom. Lenihan and Matthews had to go to Channel 4 to get Fr. Ted made so maybe it says something about the closed-mindedness of the Irish channels.

That says it better than I did, and they live there too, so it's more credible. But maybe I'd add, really as a bit of a guess based on their political system and modern national identity, that it may not be the channels at fault, especially any commercial ones there, but more the fairly visible hand of govt. which suggests a convention like 'You TV channels put on ancient stereotypical satires of the Irish at your peril' Would I be right in thinking that, as that's the impression they give to me. Their creative media don't appear to be as free as ours or Scotland's.

Quote: Nigel Kelly @ February 8 2012, 10:28 AM GMT

It wasn't made in England though was it? It was filmed off the west coast of Ireland, County Clare I believe. :P

Only location filming, which is just as it should be. The studio used is on the south bank of the River Thames in central London. I'd consider that rather 'made in England', personally!

(And to be picky, Channel 4 merely ordered it. Another British company, Hat Trick, produced it.)

I would have to pick Scottish comedy. I'm quite happy to sit and watch repeats of Still Game, Chewing The Fat and Gary: Tank Commander again and again.

Irish definitely. I much prefer it to Scottish. I've tried to like both.