Hitchcock

Anyone else into the films of Alfred Hitchcock? I love them, personally, my favourite is Dial M for Murder, though they're all good. What's your favourite? Or maybe you don't like him?

Let's all have a discussion without the obvious penis joke on the poor dead bloke's name.

I went to a Hitchcock thing at Universal Studios (I think) and saw a clip of The Birds in 3D! Now THAT was scary!

I *love* Hitchcock.

You know, I think my favourite is Rear Window. The way he evokes the feeling of a clammy summer in that film is incredible. Great film.

My favourite is Rear Window too.
Can watch it over and over again.

Rope is fantastic too. And Psycho, The Birds, and Notorious.

I don't really like erm... Vertigo. Bit boring.

I thought that this thread was 'Hancock' for a minute. Disappointed. :(

Nick?

I forgot, I love Strangers on a Train too. Farley Granger was awesome.

I've got a Hitchcock boxset which I bought for my sister as a present, but really was for me. :D

I like Rear Window and Strangers on a Train. Psycho is good, Vertigo and The Birds are ok, but they drag on a bit, in my opinion.

I like The Simpsons version of Rear Window too. :D Wave

I like Hitchcock. I like "The Birds".

I like Hancock too. The Blood Donor one is the best one!

A great director, and surprisingly adept at comedy too. Rear Window is both tense and funny. And, unlike many directors (mentioning no names, but Quentin Tarrantino springs to mind) he managed to maintain a high quality threshold throughout most of his career.

Quote: zooo @ January 17, 2008, 2:04 PM

Nick?

>_<

I SO hope you were joking.

Laughing out loud

Anyone on here read Camille Paglia's essay on the birds as a psychosexual exploration of the power of femininity?

I love Hitchcock's stuff. Vertigo is my favourite cos you can watch it several times and get different things out of it. To be honest you could name 9 or 10 classics, but I think The Thirty-Nine Steps is the most rollickingly entertaining.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ January 20, 2008, 11:56 PM

Anyone on here read Camille Paglia's essay on the birds as a psychosexual exploration of the power of femininity?

Sounds like typical media-lecturer bollocks. My girlfriend was told that - and then had to write an essay about - the carving of ivory boxes in Now, Voyager represents female masturbation. No. It represents carving a f**king ivory box. >_<

Quote: chipolata @ January 17, 2008, 3:00 PM

A great director, and surprisingly adept at comedy too. Rear Window is both tense and funny. And, unlike many directors (mentioning no names, but Quentin Tarrantino springs to mind) he managed to maintain a high quality threshold throughout most of his career.

I get the impression you just hate Tarantino there! You could have picked on just about any director as all have made their poor films; even greats like scorcese. Id disagree to some extent anyway about QT, the only slightly shaky film of his for me is Death Proof, and I even enjoyed that. Its no Pulp Fiction, but its a fun enough flick. I know Kill Bill isnt to everyones tastes, but I maintain that its a great film(s). Hopefully hell get down to his proper movies soon though. QT appears to be one of those artists that just really gets the goat of some people! There are other film makers who people perhaps dont like, but people like QT always get singled out for extra lashings of vitriol!Perhaps becuase he became so popular and is a big personality who goes all out in the media when hes got a project out.

A more appropriate example I would say of a great director losing it would be John Carpenter, greats like Halloween, The Thing, Assault On Precinct Thirteen, Escape From New York, etc; then from about the late eighties onwards, nothing but crap!

As for the topic at hand, Id plump for Psycho; obvious maybe but thats only because its so good.