Opening lines

I saw a similar topic to this on chortle and I was wondering on opinions.

When starting a stand up act is it best to start with a strong joke that's a little dark and could alienate some people or start with a slightly less funny one and hope that the audience stays with you as you work to the rest of the set? Thanks.

Start with a strong joke that's funny & won't alienate people

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ February 19 2012, 1:28 AM GMT

Start with a strong joke that's funny & won't alienate people

This.

The first 10 seconds of your act are the most important, don't waste them asking how everyone is or any other pointless questions, just say "Good evening" or "Hello" and then hit them with one of your funniest jokes, a gag that appeals to the widest possible audience.

If you have "darker" material build up to it, don't do it right at the beginning as you will lose a lot of the audience, especially is you come across as someone who is trying to shock for the sake of it.

Watch Gary Delaney, he's a master of building up to darker material, by the end of his set he is getting away with some quite outrageous stuff because he has built up the audiences trust, they like him and are will to go with him.

The only time you will get away with starting with a dark joke is if you get a reputation as a "Frankie Boyle" type act and that's what people are coming to see you for (i.e. you are a massive name and touring on your own).

Thanks for the responses, I'll check out delaney on YouTube then.

I take the Frankie Boyle approach. If they don't like what you're doing from the get go they can always take the option to f**k off. xXx

Quote: Trizzle Dizzle @ March 24 2012, 6:03 PM GMT

I take the Frankie Boyle approach. If they don't like what you're doing from the get go they can always take the option to f**k off. xXx

That'll make you popular with promoters.

It might work when you are as famous as Frankie Boyle, in that audiences know in advance what they are in for, but without his profile it'll end up with a lot of walk outs and not a lot of bookings, good luck with it though.