Watson & Oliver - Series 1 Page 8

Quote: Goosey @ March 9 2012, 1:41 PM GMT

Might have been filmed before a live audience I doubt it, you could tell a mile away it was canned laughter.

Your 'telling' senses are defective, I'm afraid. It was definitely filmed in front of a live audience comprised of sentient human beings. But, apparently, ones with a different sense of humour to you!

Quote: Aaron @ March 9 2012, 1:45 PM GMT

Your 'telling' senses are defective, I'm afraid. It was definitely filmed in front of a live audience comprised of sentient human beings. But, apparently, ones with a different sense of humour to you!

In fairness Aaron, they could have filmed it in front of an audience and dubbed on laughter at any point. "Enhanced in post production" comes to mind. It's a bit like auto tune in comedy I think.

(Not saying they have done any of that, I don't know.)

Funny if Hart is funny why have they moved her to straight acting???

'they'...how conspiratorial!

That's true. But the poster's assertion that it was completely faux laughter is still incorrect, whether they modified it at all in post or not.

if Hart is funny why have they moved her to straight acting???

Yes comedians are only ever offered straight parts if they are rubbish at being comedians. That is how it works. Obviously.

Jesus this is bad. Did that "sketch" (and I use the word only because it's a component within something that has some of the characteristics of a "sketch show") which, after some consideration, turned out to be Kate and William, contain anything approximating a joke? Or a funny line? Or anything to justify its place on BBC2 in a "comedy show"?

It must be tough for the bloke in the permanent vegetative state, but switching over to the News at Ten provides more laughs.

I'm attempting to watch episode one.

I may try and distract myself by sand papering my unmentionables.

Why would any one make anything so awful?

If Chairman Mao's long march was a TV show it would be preferable.

Quote: Aaron @ February 28 2012, 4:06 PM GMT

In the podcast (plug plug), the girls alluded to financial cost dictating the re-use of characters.

Poverty of imagination?

Quote: youngian @ March 5 2012, 10:28 PM GMT

Their Smith-Jones/Morecambe and Wise type banter has really good chemistry. I would rather see them in a comedy drama.

I assume you're refering to your pet tortoises Smith and Jones or your testicles Morcambe and Wise.

Either way you owe comedy an apology.

Quote: sootyj @ March 12 2012, 10:30 PM GMT

Poverty of imagination?

If only I hadn't explicitly used the word 'financial', that jibe might not look so mean-spirited.

And for the love of God, please learn to spell Morecambe, especially when implying they deserve high respect!

Quote: Aaron @ March 9 2012, 2:25 PM GMT

That's true. But the poster's assertion that it was completely faux laughter is still incorrect, whether they modified it at all in post or not.

Are you saying that location shoots in bus-shelters (where they were last night at the point I turned over to the news) were done with the talent, the crew and a portable seating unit with a few hundred audience members laughing at the "jokes"? I'm sure you're right. But how clever of the BBC to provide an "indoor" ambience so that it sounds just like a recording of a studio audience.

Quote: Tokyo Nambu @ March 13 2012, 7:32 AM GMT

Are you saying that location shoots in bus-shelters (where they were last night at the point I turned over to the news) were done with the talent, the crew and a portable seating unit with a few hundred audience members laughing at the "jokes"? I'm sure you're right. But how clever of the BBC to provide an "indoor" ambience so that it sounds just like a recording of a studio audience.

I understand they play pre-recorded stuff to an audience and record their laughter.

If "no-one" finds Miranda Hart funny then it seems odd that she won the "People's Choice Award", voted for by viewers, at the Comedy Awards last year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12260572

I would suggest that quite a lot of people find her funny and are prepared to prove it by phone voting for her.

Can we not turn this thread into yet another Miranda Hart is funny/Miranda Hart isn't funny thread? As for Watson and Oliver, it's still a case of decent performers let down by weak material. Which sadly has become the norm for BBC sketch shows in recent years.

Yeh the writing was REALLY poor. Who's writing this stuff? Are they actually getting paid?

Quote: sootyj @ March 13 2012, 10:25 AM GMT

Yeh the writing was REALLY poor. Who's writing this stuff? Are they actually getting paid?

Writers for the show here: https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/watson_oliver/details/

I haven't watched it but they both sounded really nice on the latest BCG podcast.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ March 13 2012, 9:00 AM GMT

I understand they play pre-recorded stuff to an audience and record their laughter.

They do indeed. As anyone who has been to a live recording of a TV show knows, they play the location stuff on screens in front of the audience.