Thank God You're Here - Paul Merton Page 6

What was the Aussie guy's name? I wouldn't mind looking into some of his other work.

Hamish Blake

Lee Mack?
Crikey.

Quote: zooo @ January 19, 2008, 11:48 PM

Lee Mack?
Crikey.

Good crikey or bad crikey ?

Extreeeemely good crikey.

I was watching the extras on his Live DVD the other day. I really haven't laughed so much in months. I'm not even sure why - all it was was Lee making a fool of his friend by opening his car boot repeatedly with a remote thingy.

I would have liked to see this with some lesser known stand-ups taking part, but then it probably wouldn't get the primetime Saturday night slot, for that reason ITV are playing it safe.

Well they're moving the broadcast time around now, so you never know!

Quote: EllieJP @ January 19, 2008, 11:30 PM

Hamish Blake

Cheers, I shall now look into him!

I thought that the second episode was worse than the first. Clive Anderson and Hamish Blake were ok but the next 2 were awful and Paul Merton struggled as well.

If this show were ever to come back for a second series (unlikely I guess) then I hope that they'd cut it down to 30 minutes, get rid of all the interview stuff and film the improv bits for longer. Then they could cut out the completely unfunny sections.

I turned over half-way through after Casualty and it's OK in small doses.

The first bit I saw Sally Lindsay doing I thought she was struggling but then her bit with all the shopping was quite well done.

With the exception of Fern I think all the guests look terrified.

I watched a few clips of the Aussie version when BSG first posted news of the British version a couple of months back and was impressed and excited (check out the Ross Noble 'Lord Of The Rings' clip if you can!)

I've just watched a bit of the second episode of the British version on t'internet and it's a bit hit-and-miss for me. I think Michael McIntyre's a great stand-up but I thought he was a bit weak. I thought Merton was ok, but nowhere near as good as we all know he is.

I'm still not sure why they're getting non-comedians on - I've read that Fern Briton did OK, but Corrie actors? Blimey.

Quote: shaggy292 @ January 20, 2008, 9:27 PM

I'm still not sure why they're getting non-comedians on - I've read that Fern Briton did OK, but Corrie actors? Blimey.

To try and get their (ITV) usual audience watching.

Quote: Aaron @ January 20, 2008, 9:35 PM

To try and get their (ITV) usual audience watching.

I'm going to sound like a complete bloody snob here, but I'm going to say it anyway.

I think that the main audience for improvisation shows should be for comedy fans who appreciate the art, not just for the typical ITV audience who haven't seen an episode of Whose Line in their life, and for who Fern Britton is the main attraction.

Sorry. I sound like a nob, but there it is. Don't hate me...

Improvised comedy belongs in drama classes and comedy workshops. I dunno why the hell people insist on putting this shit on TV. At least with 'Whose Line is it Anyway' some of it is rehearsed (it's obvious). With this new show, it looks like they haven't been told anything at all. Which makes it even worse. It's an embarrassment. And I'm surprised Paul Merton agreed to host this show, let alone take part in it!

Wave