Unknown Comedians needed Page 2

why not?

Because they're all well known.

Really? Only to other comedians, to the general public nobody knows who they are.

Quote: Monster Scum Bag @ February 29 2012, 10:31 PM GMT

Really? Only to other comedians, to the general public nobody knows who they are.

Depends how 'general' this public is. Lee has had a ton of media coverage and two series of his own show recently, with his name in the title, on a main channel, so chances are he's reasonably well known to a lot of people. Basically, more than just 'other comedians' will have heard of him.

And anyone reading a blog dedicated to comedy will almost certainly know.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ February 29 2012, 10:36 PM GMT

Depends how 'general' this public is. Lee has had a ton of media coverage and two series of his own show recently, with his name in the title, on a main channel, so chances are he's reasonably well known to a lot of people. Basically, more than just 'other comedians' will have heard of him.

And anyone reading a blog dedicated to comedy will almost certainly know.

Yeah your'e right. I guess Kitson and Sadowitz are more obscure than unknown.

Quote: Monster Scum Bag @ February 29 2012, 7:40 PM GMT

Okay then.

Doug Stanhope
Daniel Kitson
Stewart Lee
Jerry Sadowitz
Nick Helm
Andrew Lawrence
Steve Hughes
Ed Aczel
Reggie Watts

Just to name a few.

I wouldn't put anyone there on a list of unknown comedians, simply because to me, anyone that has appeared on TV isn't really properly unknown.

The sort of people that read your blog looking for unknown comedians won't be interested in reading an article on someone that has just won two British comedy awards (Stewart Lee), released 4 DVDs and 6 CDs (Doug Stanhope), has his own radio show (Andrew Lawrence), and the rest either have large cult followings (Daniel Kitson and Jerry Sadowitz) or those that have at least a few TV appearances under their belt.

If you're doing an unknown comedians thing, do it right. An article on any of the above as "unknown comedians" would just put me off reading it really.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDdJm4PaMPk

^ Here's another good one I found on this forum - Clarence Frank. (I might just start this f**king blog myself!)

Quote: Garry Lee @ March 1 2012, 12:02 AM GMT

I wouldn't put anyone there on a list of unknown comedians, simply because to me, anyone that has appeared on TV isn't really properly unknown.

The sort of people that read your blog looking for unknown comedians won't be interested in reading an article on someone that has just won two British comedy awards (Stewart Lee), released 4 DVDs and 6 CDs (Doug Stanhope), has his own radio show (Andrew Lawrence), and the rest either have large cult followings (Daniel Kitson and Jerry Sadowitz) or those that have at least a few TV appearances under their belt.

If you're doing an unknown comedians thing, do it right. An article on any of the above as "unknown comedians" would just put me off reading it really.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDdJm4PaMPk

^ Here's another good one I found on this forum - Clarence Frank. (I might just start this f**king blog myself!)

I wouldn't put them as unknown no but they aren't the most well known comedians either. I would do special posts for them not in the unknown comedian section. Like I said earlier I'm planning to do a Stanhope post buts that's mainly because I'm going to see one of his gigs

As I have yet to decide what comedian to do a post on for now I've a post starting a new section about slightly more well known people with Zack Galifianakis

Quote: rwayne @ February 29 2012, 3:13 PM GMT

Not sure if it's just suggestions about lesser known comics you want or about your blog too. If it's both then here's mine: too much swearing.
I got as far as you saying you swear a lot to offend people because it's fun as
some people are easily offended. Personally, I'm not offended by the swearing just, fairly quickly, bored with it.
It just seems (to me) that people who do this are trying too hard to look 'angry' and (again this is just me) but you're a young bloke and it always seems a bit forced when young people are 'angry'... what have you got to be angry about?
I accept, totally, that this may seem like me being an old bloke but there's something not quite right (again to me) about the angry/ranting/swearing approach from someone as young as yourself. It just seems more natural to hear that from someone who has actually lived long enough to have something to be angry about.

I'm 17 and I totally agree with you. Swearing occasionally for comic effect can be a useful tool, but when they start doing it every other words it soon becomes REALLY boring.

and you look like a no talent moron because you have been reduced to swear because you can't think of anything funny.

Some good comedians I know are:
-Aziz Ansari
-Jon Friedman
-Jon Reep
-Nick Swardson
-Nick Turner
-Sean O'Connor
-Niki Glaser
-Donald Glover

I second Aziz Ansari, and also Hannibal Buress is very good too. :)

I'm so unknown I could almost pretend I've made an artistic choice.

Comedians you might consider on the cusp of being unknown could be Andrew O'Neill, Stephen Carlin and (stretching it) Tony Law but they've all had TV exposure of varying degrees.