Benidorm - Series 5

Wasn't all that impressed by last night's episode, the odd funny moment here and there but was hoping for better.

Not helped by the fact of Mick's absence either.

I have to agree, not a great episode but I am sure it will get better.

I didn't think the first episode was all that bad. It has set the tone for what I hope will be an exciting new series of the show.

I'm looking forward to the episodes written by Steve Pemberton.

I agree quite good opener and it'll be interesting to see which direction Steve Pemberton takes it in.

Quote: happychef @ February 26 2012, 3:33 PM GMT

I agree quite good opener and it'll be interesting to see which direction Steve Pemberton takes it in.

Surely as a member of the ensemble, he can't take it much further than where it currently is-not without help anyway?

(And I wonder why I keep getting rejected. I think I mean Steve's presence can't really change what happens in the show that much.)

I believe they are referring to Pemberton having written a number of episodes this series, Tim, rather than merely acting.

Yes, that was what I was referring to, apologies for not making that clear.

The post before did say this:

Quote: John M @ February 26 2012, 12:55 AM GMT

I'm looking forward to the episodes written by Steve Pemberton.

I think they should have finished after last series. Too many characters have left (The Oracle, the posh couple, Troy) and despite good moments in each episode Series 4 felt tired. This episode didn't work for me - Sherrie Hewston's bits appear to have walked straight from a later episode of Are You Being Served? and even perennials like Donald and Jacqueline seem dull.

Still it would be a shame, as it's ITV's best sitcom for years.

Not difficult, as it's their only sitcom for years! ;)

I was hoping for better as the first in a new series but I will give it one more go next week. I missed the grittiness of the old manager and the Sherrie Hewson character reminds me of Ruth Madoc in Hi-De-Hi!, the only difference was classical music instead of a xylophone.

Quote: Burton Sparkler @ February 29 2012, 7:08 PM GMT

I think they should have finished after last series. Too many characters have left (The Oracle, the posh couple, Troy) and despite good moments in each episode Series 4 felt tired. This episode didn't work for me - Sherrie Hewston's bits appear to have walked straight from a later episode of Are You Being Served? and even perennials like Donald and Jacqueline seem dull.

Still it would be a shame, as it's ITV's best sitcom for years.

It's beginning to resemble a "Carry On". It's still watchable but as you say too many of the key characters have left since the first couple of series. I loved the series with Sheridan Smith and Robin Askwith (I think that was the second series).

Third.

There was the odd good joke but to me, this felt like they'd filmed the first draft of the script to be quite honest. Carried on where series 4 left off -- disappointing.

Dan

When this series first started it was hilarious and funny, I find the latest series in 2012 not to be a patch of when it first came on our screens.
The best of the cast are sadly deceased or are no longer wishing to be in it, the story lines are pretty pathetic - as is most of the latest castings.

It is a shame to see a good comedy programme that was once something to look forward to on a Friday evening now not even worth the effort of watching anymore. What has happened to this once good reflection of a typical British holiday in Benidorm to turn it into a has-been for out of work actors?

Hope it gets better especially the story lines, what a totally naff and boring dance competition compared to previous series of acts in the Neptune bar, it is a shame that a once excellent comedy series is now totally naff, please make it enjoyable to watch again.