Edinburgh Fringe

Hello all. Just looking for a little advice on Edinburgh Fringe from anyone who's done it. I am part of a Hull based comedy sketch group which mixes stand-up, audience participation and sketches into one giant Yorkshire pud. The "show" is already written (in the loosest possible sense) and now just needs to be learnt (agian in the loosest possible sense).

What I'm looking for is a couple of tips and pointers from people who have done similar shows there. What worked what didn't what made you look like a unfunny hobo who was in desperate need of a shave.

All replies are welcome. Cheers.

Book your accommodation now, or sooner if possible. :)

Don't expect to make any money. In fact, be very prepared to make a loss.

Don't expect the locals to care about you or your show.

Do a dry run of your show for a week in Hull, in a room in a friends house. Invite no more than six people so you know what it will be like to perform to your largest audience at the Edinburgh Festival. Try not to have more than 3 or 4 hours sleep each night and only live on expensive junk food. Avoid water at all costs by only drinking alcohol. Dress up in costumes that only your group will find funny and hit the streets of Hull with a bunch of overpriced flyers that have at least two typos.....if any of your quips make someone laugh when they take the flyer out of your hand, do NOT presume you have generated a guaranteed customer for your show.

If at the end of this week long practice you and your friends can still stomach the sight of each other: Good luck, you are now ready to experience the Edinburgh Festival :)

Accommodations sorted thanks to a sturdy floor at a friend's house. Bob cheers for that sounds like a plan. Although wandering round the streets of Hull in anything but a tracksuit could well result in me getting stabbed. I also don't like the guy I work with anyway so I think we have an advantage anyway. AnD Typos? I don't know what you mean.

I have nothing to add to this discussion, but, if your username means what I assumed it did, it made me laugh.

Isn't it a reference to the JFK conspiracy theorists?

Conspiracy/fact there is such a fine line these days. But yes it is a reference to JFK. It's what our comedy groups called as well as the name on here.

Yep, be prepared to lose alot of money, get wet and have restless sleep. If you have accommodation sorted that's the main thing at this stage.

Before you go make sure that you preview the show and iron out any big issues before you go up. Have a good think about promotion and how you'll get people in your room.

This might be a bit late but I've written a book on this subject.

http://theianfox.wordpress.com/2012/03/05/how-to-produce-perform-and-write-an-edinburgh-fringe-comedy-show-book/