Comedy you want to like, but don't Page 12

Quote: sootyj @ November 6 2011, 8:09 PM GMT

He's not down. He has a condition that didn't prevent him writing Unseen Academicals or Tribe both of which are fantabulous.

You sir should judge the man not the diagnosis.

And you Sir, should realise when someone is obviously just poking fun.

Perhaps Stott you could invest in a small bell to indicate when you have made a funny?

Quote: sootyj @ November 6 2011, 8:26 PM GMT

Perhaps Stott you could invest in a small bell to indicate when you have made a funny?

Yes, it was certainly difficult to work out, apologies.

Thanks Matt that's very considerate of you!

Quote: Matthew Stott @ November 6 2011, 6:40 PM GMT

You may as well have just said you like murdering children.

I'll go and sit on the naughty step and think about what I just said... :(

With the one exception of the Silence of the Lambs spoof, I've never found French and Saunders together remotely funny, but I love Dawn in The Vicar Of Dibley and Jen in Absolutely Fabulous so feel I should. They really are two brilliant comediennes in their own right but together I think they are pants. Also I don't get Futurama although The Simpsons is just one of the best things ever devised.

Edited by Aaron - capitals, punctuation etc.

Quote: yowie29 @ February 3 2012, 6:18 PM GMT

I've never found French and Saunders together remotely funny, but I love Dawn in The Vicar Of Dibley and Jen in Absolutely Fabulous

With the proviso that I've not seen that much of their joint work, ditto.

But then it seems to be mostly film spoofs, and I expect I've never seen most of the films.

To me they seem to over-egg the acting in a theatrical la-di-dah way and Dawn just pulls daft faces. Jen always looks miserable as if she doesn't even want to be in it. Can't understand why these two ever got together. To me they just don't gel. Mind you, they got loads of fans so what do I know, I certainly havent done anything of note for the BBC. :P

Tried and tried to get into Curb but couldn't. Had mates telling me to try it but just couldn't enjoy it. Too slow and obvious I think.

I also struggled with Peter Cook and Dudley Moore's work, Fawlty Towers, Bill Hicks and the early Mighty Boosh (although I'm going to retry that again soon).

I have enjoyed some episodes of Curb Your Enthusiasm but it annoys me too much and I always give up on it.

The Big Bang Theory - I was a geek long before this show got made and for some reason it just annoys the hell out of me.

How I Met Your Mother - Don't get me started!

Two and a Half Men - To be fair I have no interest in liking this. I hate it with a passion.

Quote: Tom G @ February 3 2012, 7:20 PM GMT

The early Mighty Boosh (although I'm going to retry that again soon).

For me, it's just the Mighty Boosh in general. I just can't get into it.

I wish I found David Walliams funny - it's hard to ignore him when he's on a TV show I want to watch and he just annoys the hell out of me.

On a slightly less mean note...I just don't like things like The Office or The Thick Of It. People keep assuming that it's my sort of humour, but it just doesn't do anything for me. I've actually been given The Think Of It on DVD three times because people thought I would love it!

Largely with you there. What about Peep Show?

I really liked The Office. Took a while but it's much closer to a sort of extra witty dramedy than a true sitcom.

The Thick of It always left me cold. It was cloyingly smug and self regarding. For me it's always in the shadow of Yes Minister.

I did like the original hapless MP.

Quote: sootyj @ February 20 2012, 2:30 PM GMT

I really liked The Office. Took a while but it's much closer to a sort of extra witty dramedy than a true sitcom.

The Thick of It always left me cold. It was cloyingly smug and self regarding. For me it's always in the shadow of Yes Minister.

I did like the original hapless MP.

Oh yes. Totally agree. I'd rather watch Yes Minister/Yes, Prime Minister any day than The Thick Of It. And as much as I love Peter Capaldi, I don't see why everyone finds his character so frightening, that's a boy in need of a nanny if ever I saw one!

Quote: Aaron @ February 20 2012, 2:20 PM GMT

Largely with you there. What about Peep Show?

Love Peep Show - has so much warmth. I do feel sorry for the actors having to kiss the camera so often, must be so embarrassing!