Current radio comedy Page 82

Quote: chipolata @ January 29 2012, 10:44 PM GMT

The News Quiz has never exactly been a must-listen show, but Friday's edition was dreadful. Rebecca Front, whom I like, was absolutely awful on it.

I get through her appearances on these sorts of shows by imagining that she is in character. Certainly helped ease the pain of the rictus grin on Would I Lie to You.

Never been into the Marx Brothers but ive been listening to Flywheel, Shyster and Flywheel on 4 extra lately

Good stuff!

Mean to catch up on this!

Another Case of Milton Jones was brilliant today. Full of jokes about cycling and energy efficent light bulbs.

Interesting Claire as I don't really get Milton?

Quote: dellas @ February 7 2012, 5:39 AM GMT

Interesting Claire as I don't really get Milton?

I understand that people might not like that kind of comedy, full of word play and puns.

Bleak Expectations continues to be excellent and Clare in the Community was alright. Too much health and safety jokes.

Claire, I love 'Health and Safety' jokes us Brits hate bureaucracy and speak a lot about this subject!

This afternoon I listened to a good new sitcom comedy 'Highlights', lots of funny lines and characters fast pace, based in hairdressers.

Think this will go to telly! :)

Quote: dellas @ February 10 2012, 8:46 PM GMT

Claire, I love 'Health and Safety' jokes us Brits hate bureaucracy and speak a lot about this subject!

This afternoon I listened to a good new sitcom comedy 'Highlights', lots of funny lines and characters fast pace, based in hairdressers.

Think this will go to telly! :)

I do like Health and Safety jokes and know about British hatred for the bureaucracy. It's just I felt they went a little overboard and was really predictable about what was going to happen.

Another Case of Milton Jones was good today, not quite as good as some episodes but still funny. The episode's plot about a miner with showbiz parents was probably inspired by an old Monty Python sketch.

Tomorrow going to listen to Deep Trouble a sitcom about a British Nuclear submarine.

Mr and Mrs Smith was great. The jokes about builders was brilliant. Though now that Annabel is pregnant it will be interesting to hear about they treat it.

Deep Trouble was ok.

Quote: Claire Hardiker @ February 15 2012, 7:48 AM GMT

Mr and Mrs Smith was great. The jokes about builders was brilliant. Though now that Annabel is pregnant it will be interesting to hear about they treat it.

Deep Trouble was ok.

I'm with you on that. Mr and Mrs Smith has really developed well over the series from the fairly average pilot episode. The cliffhanger end to the series was really begging for a second series wasn't it? I wonder if Will Smith has actually planned out the second series or whether that ending was just there to ensure it got recommissioned though....

Great cast of actors, and the joke about Die Hard 2 has just killed that film for me. :( How did I never spot that before?

Quote: Snafu @ February 15 2012, 10:05 AM GMT

I'm with you on that. Mr and Mrs Smith has really developed well over the series from the fairly average pilot episode. The cliffhanger end to the series was really begging for a second series wasn't it? I wonder if Will Smith has actually planned out the second series or whether that ending was just there to ensure it got recommissioned though....

Great cast of actors, and the joke about Die Hard 2 has just killed that film for me. :( How did I never spot that before?

We are just swept up in the action that we don't realise the irrationality of the plot.

It's a common theme with most American action films. :D

Also I hope that there will be a second series.

I too really enjoyed Mr & Mrs Smith. I listened to all four on iPlayer over the last few weeks - and found myself a little bit excited when a new one appeared on the iPlayer menu.

The main attraction is the jokes. There seem to be plenty. Proper jokes written by a guy who understands how to make an audience laugh. Out loud. I'm afraid I hear quite a lot of noodly non-audience comedy and I'm not entirely sure where the laughs are because there are lots of half jokes, but few proper belly laughs. (Giles Wemmbley Hogg being a notable exception. And Deep Trouble too)

I also like the fact that it sticks closely to the central three characters and so we really get to know them and enjoy their successes and failures. And the plots themselves are well paced and plotted.

It's a big tick and thumbs up from me, anyway.

Today's episode of Bleak Expectations made up for a disappointing Clare in the Community.

What is strange is how Pip Bin grew up to be a grumpy Sir Phillip Bin. Seriously he was just so innocent in his youth.