Kevin Bridges Page 2

Just noticed that this thread was started in December 2010, and that quite a lot of the posts on the first page mention his age.

He's 25 now, according to Wikipedia, and yet I'm pretty certain I saw him introduced with a gag about his age on telly not so long ago.

Isn't he old enough now that this isn't an issue and we can just discuss the strength of his comedy without patronizing the poor child?

I don't think even 23 was a mentionably young age. I had a job I was quite good at when I was 23.

I think it's more that he looks about 35.

Quote: zooo @ February 16 2012, 8:21 PM GMT

he looks about 35.

Not according to my mirror.

Well maybe you look 45.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ February 16 2012, 7:59 PM GMT

Isn't he old enough now that this isn't an issue and we can just discuss the strength of his comedy without patronizing the poor child?

I don't think even 23 was a mentionably young age. I had a job I was quite good at when I was 23.

Quote: zooo @ February 16 2012, 8:21 PM GMT

I think it's more that he looks about 35.

His age should not be an issue but I think it is because he is a remarkably talented stand-up comedian for someone of his age.

Yes there are other stand-up comedians of his age who are good, but there are also lots of very good stand-up comedians older than him, who were not as good as him at his age. Its exciting to think how good he will become when he is older and more experienced. Thats the main reason his age is brought up in my opinion.

I just think it's like Dara O'Briain, he simply looks a lot older than he is, so when you hear he's in his early 20s it's a surprise.

It's not a surprise that someone young is doing well, there's loads of young (younger than him!) comics on TV.

I agree with Bob. I saw Kevin Bridges in a BBC Edinburgh showcase, I guess in 2010. I'd never heard of him before, but I thought he was excellent and the best thing on the night. I had no idea of his age, and it wasn't and shouldn't be an issue, but when I found out later that he was about 23 I thought - Jeez, he's good for someone who can't feasibly have had lots of years' experience on various circuits. When I saw him I had *assumed* he was older - ageist of me, I know, but there aren't many 23 year-old stand-ups doing good mainstream work. I accept there may be in other professions.

By the way, I saw some of the first episode of this new series and like others I can't fathom the point of it. It is not a great showcase for a talented performer.

Quote: zooo @ February 16 2012, 11:04 PM GMT

It's not a surprise that someone young is doing well, there's loads of young (younger than him!) comics on TV.

How many? I want a list, because I don't believe it.

I was thinking of Daniel Sloss and Chris Ramsey when I wrote that. I imagine there are others you could find if you were so inclined!

Quote: zooo @ February 17 2012, 12:03 AM GMT

I was thinking of Daniel Sloss and Chris Ramsey when I wrote that. I imagine there are others you could find if you were so inclined!

I have no idea who they are, which ironically proves your point rather than mine. I think.

I like Daniel Sloss, he started when he was younger than Bridges. 15 or 16 when he was writing jokes for Frankie Boyle.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ February 16 2012, 6:39 PM GMT

A retrospective from a guy who's been on the scene for about five minutes was like an odd choice of format for his first solo TV gig.

I agree totally. I found some of his chat/interview pieces quite interesting (such as with Frank Skinner, and even when he talked to his parents), but for someone with relatively low exposure, it's such an odd programme to make.

When I saw it on last week I'd assumed it was a one-off, I was amazed to find he had a whole series!
Not that it was terrible or anything.

One of his jokes is about shitting in a kettle at a party, wonder if he'll cover that next week.

Quote: Markaroni @ February 17 2012, 12:18 AM GMT

One of his jokes is about shitting in a kettle at a party, wonder if he'll cover that next week.

Laughing out loud

Sick

I bit the bullet and watched the second ep and again I was amazed at how embarrassed he looked throughout those 'inbetween' bits. I get the idea that he's run out of material.
His age has to come into consideration purely because his original schtick was that of a world weary soul. He comes across as a wide eyed little boy in this new thing. That in itself isn't bad, but is slightly jarring when you contrast it with his stage persona.
It wasn't all terrible. The language bit with Mickey Flanagan was funny if a bit obvious.

The whole problem is summed up by Kevin himself in the opening title sequence. He says that only only 2 people have ever asked him where he gets the inspiration for his routines from. One being a taxi driver and the other being the BBC. The reason no-one asked that question is that no-one is remotely interested in what the answer would be.

I bet that taxi driver absolutely loves the show. He may be the only one.

Those weird camera shots of buildings and stuff that they use when Kev is doing voice over are incredibly hypnotic to watch. They look stunning in HD. (It looks pretty) :P