Life Explained: Death (part3)

This is an extract from a radio sketch show aimed at a Radio 4 audience. I just need 1 more sketch to get to the magic 27 minute mark. Anyway if you have any suggestions for a sketch theres a thread on the writers discussion forum. They're all loosly based on the theme of death (a comedy goldmine, not). Its quite long but its sketches so you read what you want. Also the narrator is linking the sketches and isn't meant to be funny in case you wondered.

SCENE 33. NARRATION

NARRATOR:
Many people die because they succumb to the pressure of the Rat Race.

SCENE 34. RAT RACE

TIM IS HAVING A MEETING WITH MALCOLM

TIM:
Malcolm, it’s just not good enough.

MALCOLM:
I know Tim but I’ve been under a lot of pressure

MALCOLM:
We’ve been working on this for two bloody months solid and you haven’t delivered.

MALCOLM:
My doctor told me to take it easy, he told me to get out of the rat race

TIM:
Don’t do this to me Malcolm. I have to do this and you’re making me feel bad.

MALCOM:
Please Tim, I’m really sorry.

TIM:
I have to make examples or everyone else would slack off. We can’t have that can we Malcolm? Bend over Malcolm

MALCOLM:
I’ve learnt my lesson Tim, I won’t do it again. Please

TIM:
Take it like a man Malcolm, if you close your eyes it’ll pass quicker.

F/X:
A LOUD SMACK

TIM:
What do we say?

MALCOLM:
Thank you Tim

TIM:
You’re welcome

MALCOLM:
Can I be excused Tim

TIM:
Yes Malcolm, oh and Malcolm next time you will…

MALCOLM:
Number the pages Tim

TIM:
Well done Malcolm.

SCENE 35. NARRATION

NARRATOR:
Most people die alone but the unfortunate sometimes die in large numbers by disease, natural disaster or even famine

SCENE 36. IRISH POTATOE FAMINE

TWO IRISHMEN FIND A POTATO

PATRICK:
Liam! Liam! Look I’ve found some potatoes

LIAM:
Thank God, I’m starving
PATRICK:
Wait Liam I don’t think they have a label on them

LIAM:
Not again, how will we know if there high in slat or fat without a traffic light system

PATRICK:
What type do you think they are?

LIAM:
They’re not King Edwards that’s for sure, Maris Piper maybe

PATRICK:
No I don’t think so, could be Ulster Prince, Golden Wonder, White Lady. Wait I know they’re Charlottes.

LIAM:
I like those how shall we cook them?

PATRICK:W
ait, here’s the sack they were in, ‘Charlotte potatoes, fertilised with chicken shit’

LIAM:
Damn it, there not organic.

PATRICK:
I think there’s some cheese strings over there.

SCENE 37. NARRATION

NARRATOR:
Death is often avoided through the efforts of the brave like fire-fighters, police men and bomb diffusers.

SCENE 38. BOMB DISPOSING

WILLIAM:
Yeah Frank you were right it’s a mark 2 Johnson. HQ says you should go for the red wire, I repeat go for the red wire.

FRANK:
I’m not sure Will, there are five red wires

WILLIAM:
HQ has the manual in their hands and is 100% certain you should cut the red wire.

FRANK:
I’m telling you Will, there are five red wires.

WILLIAM:
It should have a blue wire, two green wires, a brown wire and a red wire.

FRANK:
Should I cut all the wires because there all red

WILLIAM:
Negative Frank. Standby…Can you describe the bomb to us

FRANK:
Yes it has a red casing, red circuit board and the explosive is dyed red

WILLIAM:
I’m pulling you out Frank; we’ll get someone else to look at it

FRANK:
OK but they’ll tell you the same thing.

FRANK LEAVES THE BOMB AND IT IS DIFFUSED BY SOMEONE ELSE

MARTIN:
Cutting the red wire, bomb diffused.
WILLIAM:
Thanks Maritn. Frank I think we have to talk

FRANK:
OK

WILLIAM:
Frank we are going to have to let you go, to be honest we only hired you because of the equality legislation but you’re now endangering yourself and other people.

FRANK:
Oh I’m fired now just because I can’t diffuse a bomb

WILLIAM:
Its part of your job description Frank

FRANK:
You’ll be hearing from my solicitor, firing me because I’m black it’s unbelievable.

WILLIAM:
Frank, you'er white, we’re firing you because you colour blind

FRANK:
Am I.

SCENE 39. NARRATION

NARRATOR:
Once people die they go to Heaven or Hell depending on what they were like in real life. Saint peter is the bloke who decides who gets in and who doesn’t

SCENE 40. PEARLY GATES

SAINT PETER:
Welcome to the Pearly Gates, your name is.

ED:
Ed, what just happened.

SAINT PETER:
You died, date of birth

ED:
March the 8th 1973, how did I die?

SAINT PETER:
Eggs

ED:
Eggs?

SAINT PETER:
You got Ecoli from an egg and died. Earthly residence

ED:
Farnborough, Kent. So I got in Heaven

SAINT PETER:
If every thing checks out yes.

ED:
Sweet, what did I get in for?

SAINT PETER:
Good behaviour, specifically you brushed your teeth every day.

ED:
Brushing my teeth?

SAINT PETER:
Hygiene is very important, we can’t stink up heaven or else it wouldn’t be heaven would it. Religion?

ED:
Christian, Church of England.

SAINT PETER:
Just checking the computer, it takes a minute, any questions?

ED:
Is God a man or a woman?

SAINT PETER:
Well you can’t define god as…

ED:
Is there something wrong?

SAINT PETER:
Can’t let you in with trainers.

ED:
What

SAINT PETER:
No trainers, it’s a Heaven policy.

ED:
Can I take them off

SAINT PETER:
No sir, step behind the rope sir,

ED:
But where can I go?

SAINT PETER:
You can go to hell sir.

SCENE 41. NARRATION

NARRATOR:
The government recognises that some activities are dangerous and could lead to death. To combat this they issue safety adverts to warn the public.

SCENE 42. SAFETY ADVERTS

GIRL:
Hit me at 40 miles per hour and there’s an 80% chance I will die. Hit me at 30 miles per hour and there’s an 80% chance I will live. Hit me at 20 miles per hour there’s a, carry the 1, 90% chance I will live. Hit me at 10 miles per hour in a 4x4 with bull bars there’s a 73.4% chance I will die but a 100% chance that your children in the back seat will be fine. The new 4x4 Farm Rover from Cord motors. If your children are safe who cares about others?

JOE IS DRINKING WITH ROGER

JOE:
Roger, do you want a drink.

ROGER:
No thanks I’m driving

JOE:
Go on, its only one drink.

ROGER:
Alright then,

TIME PASSES

JUDGE:
Roger Frederick Smith, you are accused of several charges. Driving under the influence how do you plead?

ROGER:
Guilty

JUDGE:
Exposing yourself in public

ROGER:
Guilty

JUDGE:
Racing Grannies

ROGER:
Guilty

JUDGE:
High Treason

ROGER:
Guilty

JUDGE:
Tax avoidance

ROGER:
I didn’t do that when I was drunk

JUDGE:
Sorry that’s a charge against your barrister. I hope Mr Smith that you’ve learnt your lesson.

ROGER:
Yes you honour I will never drink again.

JUDGE:
No we want you to drink or else the government wouldn’t make any money, just don’t drink and drive.

ROGER:
Oh. OK.

SCENE 43. NARRATION

NARRATOR:
Some of the biggest companies in the world make money out of death

SCENE 44. ARMS ACROSS AFRICA

VOICE OVER:
Give a man a fish and he will feed for a day. Give a man an AK 47 and he will shoot lots of fish

FX:SOUND OF AN AK47 BEING FIRED

VOICE OVER:
Give a man an AK 47 and he can defend his land and family. Give a man a weapons cache and he can become a warlord and defend a lot of land and people. So help us spread arms across Africa.

SCENE 45. NARRATION

NARRATOR:
Racial tensions can lead to death in extreme cases.

SCENE 46. THE KBP

DRYSTAN:
I’d liked to call to order the first meeting of the KBP. I think everyone here knows why this group was formed. For years now we have tolerated a flood of immigration into our country. We have been increasingly marginalised and have in effect become a minority in our own country. It has to stop. I say we should send them all back. Brietta

BRIETTA:
Thank you Drystan. It is disgusting the state this country is in. Our traditions have been ridiculed and sidelined yet we have to respect the religion and rituals of other. I say we make a stand; KBP is the only party which has the guts and the will power to stand up to these, these trespassers.

DRYSTAN:
I think we all agree with Brietta on this point. We have been stretched to breaking point and we’re not going to bend over any more. We are going to Keep Britain Pure! Keep Britain Pagan! We’ll drive the Romans, Anglo-Saxons, Vikings and Normans into the sea. Who’s with me!

F/X:CHEERS

Hey ajp

Hehe -- laughed out loud on a number of occasions. The St. Peter sketch is very funny, the court scene and the AK47 stuff.

Was a bit concerned that the theme may be... well, a bit morbid! But it seems to be okay. I'd try to get your narrator to make a witticism or two as he feels a bit superfluous whilst reading through. Don't make him too Tom Baker in Little Britain but giving him two lines each time rather than one may help 'smooth' from one sketch to another as it reads a bit 'jumpy' at present.

The humour content is good though. I have to say it was funnier than I expected after I started reading. Well done.

Dan

Thanks Dan, Death did seem like a funny theme 25 sketches ago. I agree with what you say about the narrator, to be honest I haven't given him/her a character yet and am using him/her to simply link the sketches at the moment but i will give him/her some witticisms. You're right I shouldn't make him/her too much like Tom Baker but i was aware that a narrated lead sketch show would stand a better chance of being commissioned by Radio 4 (I know i've sold my soul).

I'm glad that you found the sketches funny as they are the last in the episode and I was struggling to come up with stuff.

Liked some of the jokes in there. Just wondering though, if chicken shit is actually an organic fertiliser?