Gigs with no age limit

Hi,

I've recently started doing some stand-up and I've done 5 gigs so far. However I'm finding it very difficult to get gigs as I'm only 16. So far only the Bedford in Balham, Pear Shaped and Downstairs at the Kings head have said yes to me. Do you know of any clubs or pubs in the London area where there are open mics I could perform at. Thanks

Dominic.

Not off the top of my head. Most comedy nights are in pubs and people feel they shouldn't swear infront of oung people.

Have you tried the "comedy school" I think they organise stuff.

Have you tried not telling people you're 16?

Ooh good advice

I thought about it but I can't be asked to go all the way into London for a five minute slot if there's every possibility they might just tell me to piss off. I did briefly look at the comedy school but well...anyway thanks for the responses.

Quote: Whatever @ February 15 2012, 2:26 PM GMT

I thought about it but I can't be asked to go all the way into London for a five minute slot if there's every possibility they might just tell me to piss off. I did briefly look at the comedy school but well...anyway thanks for the responses.

I very much the organisers will give two hoots how old you are, it's whether the bar staff care or not. If in doubt, stay off the ales and I'd be surprised if you get any hassle.

Unless your routine is about being 16 and looking younger.

It goes without saying that you should open your act with some material about how you enjoy voting, drinking legally and being of an age that rhymes with "blateen".

I dunno maybe it's just not that easy to get gigs, how long have you been going?

As for the comedy school I did a course with them a few years ago and they were very good at mentoring the younger comics. Worth atleast giving them a bell or email.

Also the only people I know who do gags about looking like a 14 year old boy are also lesbians.

So may get the wrong sort of attention.

Quote: Whatever @ February 15 2012, 12:46 AM GMT

Hi,
I've recently started doing some stand-up and I've done 5 gigs so far. However I'm finding it very difficult to get gigs as I'm only 16.

Unless I missed a change in the Law, it's perfectly legal for under-18s to enter most licensed premises - they just can't drink alcohol.

My local open mike pub regularly has under-18s doing their ten minutes worth.. but I wouldn't recommend it for budding stand-ups: you need balls of steel to try comedy there, especially if you come on after a bouzouki band.. and I won't mention the poets..

*thinks back and starts to weep*

I've been going since December. Obviously I've not had much chance to gig with school and everything else. I'll have another look at the comedy school but from their website it looks like they seem to deal mainly in the young and disenfranchised and some of my jokes are about how white and middle class I am so...but anyway I'll see what clubs are near me and try and organize a spot without telling them my age. Thanks

Don't be a lemon phone them.

They gave Ahid Shah his start and not only is he massively succesful, he's also very middle class and was 15 when he got started.

You seem to be defeating yourself with your doubts very early on in the day.

Don't be a lemon phone them.

They gave Ahid Shah his start and not only is he massively succesful, he's also very middle class and was 15 when he got started.

You seem to be defeating yourself with your doubts very early on in the day.

When I say I've had difficulty getting gigs I means as in pretty much everywhere I've emailed have come back with a strict over 18 policy ( currentlythat's Parachute productions, comedy bin, the cavendish arms, comedy cafe, lions den, Glee17 comedy club, Hoopla, camden bars)I don't know about the law Stlyee butthat's what they've replied back to me with...

Out of Interest does anyone no an open mic on Saturdays?