Countdown

I'm surprised there isn't already a thread.
(or not)

But it is a bit of a classic british series.
And the first ever programme on Channel 4
With Carol Vorderman looking older than she does these days.

Been watching a few recently with Nick Hewer.
And playing along.

Long live Countdown!

This always makes me laugh -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gBXPUSXGWs

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ February 14 2012, 12:14 AM GMT

Been watching a few recently with Nick Hewer.
And playing along.

Does anyone not play along when they watch it, and if so, what's the point? How interesting can a timer and that music be?

I admit to playing it. My technique is to try to make up smaller words as the letters arrive, then look for endings like -iest and -ier, and then just hope a big word happens.

It's all rock 'n' roll here.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ February 14 2012, 12:19 AM GMT

This always makes me laugh -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gBXPUSXGWs

Did you see Gyles Brandreth's jumper?! I think that entirely sums up his personality.

The glory days of Countdown was when it was a crisp 30 minutes. They ruined it when they bloated it to 45 minutes and lost the tightness. That said, you still can't beat a bit of Dent in Dictionary Corner.

Quote: Harridan @ February 14 2012, 7:32 AM GMT

Did you see Gyles Brandreth's jumper?! I think that entirely sums up his personality.

Gyles is such an odd bod. I still can't believe he was elected as an MP. I do, however, enjoy his appearances on the One Show. He's become this bizarrely camp comic character who pretends he's met everyone in showbiz.

I used to hate that cartoonist bloke - Bill Tidy? - not him personally, but his cartoon jokes were always shite. Sandy Toksvig on the other hand, used to shine in Dictionary Corner.

My favourite guest was always:

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ February 14 2012, 12:05 PM GMT

Gyles is such an odd bod. I still can't believe he was elected as an MP. I do, however, enjoy his appearances on the One Show. He's become this bizarrely camp comic character who pretends he's met everyone in showbiz.

Gyles is a top bloke and pretty funny. And like most of the greats, he was born on March 8th. Cool

Quote: Gerry McDonnell @ February 14 2012, 1:17 PM GMT

My favourite guest was always:

I've always been partial to this guy.

Richard Stilgoe a.k.a Bilwill.

Never seen a whole episode. I can't believe it's still going.

Due to a mild bit of OCD I have to make a word out of the letters (even if it's just car) otherwise terrible things will happen. Despite that, I do rather enjoy a bit of Countdown.

That magician bloke no one's heard of always seems to be in dictionary corner when I watch. Paul Xenon or something.

Tim Vine is on it now and again and is a good laugh.

I actually watched it today and got the conundrum 'toadstool'.

Yeah thanks for the spoiler Nige

Let's remind ourselves what the show is still missing:

Lovey Phoar!!!

Quote: Will Cam @ February 14 2012, 9:45 PM GMT

Let's remind ourselves what the show is still missing:

Lovey Phoar!!!

"Suzie is shit house door in the dictionary?"

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ February 14 2012, 8:10 PM GMT

Yeah thanks for the spoiler Nige

Soyrr Setev :)