The Sitcom Trials 2012 Page 4

Quote: evan rubivellian @ February 1 2012, 4:52 PM GMT

I might send in "Shock Treatment" and "As Plain as Day" for the script reading. To be honest though, I'm having second thoughts about entering scripts that have already been part of previous sitcom trials. Both scripts made it to the finals, so it's fair to say they've had their moment.

Full marks to ER for reworking Plain As Day & Shock Treatment from the Manchester Trials for consideration for Bristol and uploading them to the files. They should get read on Sunday I think. Any more for any more? (Still only 3 entries in that file so far) http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/SitsVac/files/Bristol%20Sitcom%20Trials%20-%20March%20/

Thanks Kev-if they do get read then I would really welcome any feedback. Hopefully will be able to finish an original entry for the Bristol trials. Any word on a London version yet? CSI-style!

Still have to do another rewrite and fill in a couple of gaps, but should be up soon.

Reminder, there's a Sitcom Trials meeting in Bristol this Sunday Feb 12, and you're invited: http://sitcomtrials.blogspot.com/2012/01/sitcom-trials-meeting-bristol-feb-12.html

RSVP to Vince (Stadon, he's the boss) and if you get your scripts entered by then, something might get read at the meeting (only 4 entries in the files so far)

See you there - Kev F

PS: Anyone interested in keeping up with all Sitcom Trials news and alerts, you can subscribe to the Sitcom Trials blog. Recent posts include:

New video by McNeil & Pamphilon, Sitcom Trials winners Pint-Sized Plays script competition now open Sitcom Trials & Sitcom Mission books US pilot season, UK successes Calling Drag Queens & Leather Marys

I would really love to enter this but, unless I'm doing something wrong, it appears I need a degree in 1990s internet technology!

Is there an easy way of uploading, can we email instead? How do we view other scripts or direct people to ours?

I got in!!! Where's my prize?

Quote: Tom G @ February 10 2012, 3:22 PM GMT

I would really love to enter this but, unless I'm doing something wrong, it appears I need a degree in 1990s internet technology!

I completely agree that the SitsVac forum is antiquated. I set that up when it was called OneList then it became an eGroup and finally it was a YahooGroup, this was all back in 1999 when the Sitcom Trials began.

If anyone is a dab hand with technology, I would love a state-of-the-art system by which people could upload their scripts then signed-in members (who would include all people who had entered scripts) could read, review and vote on the scripts that have been uploaded. I dream of a system where this happens automatically and looks flashy and impressive, having seen such things operated by websites in the past (there have been a few where you uploaded videos and people voted for the best - all of whom seem to have gone out of business after 6 months).

Funny or Die, a surviving example of the sort of thing I'd love to emulate

But it's not my area of expertise. Is there anyone out there who can help?

For those of you able to wrestle your way through some 90s low-tech - think of it as a nostalgia trip - you upload files here: http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/SitsVac/files/ (which will involve signing into Yahoo and joining the group, which is at least automatic). There are currently 6 scripts in there for us to choose from for tomorrow's meeting (I say "us", it's up to Vince)

Kev F

I got in in the end. Had to set up a yahoo profile first, which is where I was going wrong. I'm working on a script as we speak!

Lovely touch that "The Duplicate" has been uploaded twice!

Quote: Kev F @ February 11 2012, 8:42 AM GMT

I completely agree that the SitsVac forum is antiquated. I set that up when it was called OneList then it became an eGroup and finally it was a YahooGroup, this was all back in 1999 when the Sitcom Trials began.

If anyone is a dab hand with technology, I would love a state-of-the-art system by which people could upload their scripts then signed-in members (who would include all people who had entered scripts) could read, review and vote on the scripts that have been uploaded. I dream of a system where this happens automatically and looks flashy and impressive, having seen such things operated by websites in the past (there have been a few where you uploaded videos and people voted for the best - all of whom seem to have gone out of business after 6 months).

Funny or Die, a surviving example of the sort of thing I'd love to emulate

But it's not my area of expertise. Is there anyone out there who can help?

For those of you able to wrestle your way through some 90s low-tech - think of it as a nostalgia trip - you upload files here: http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/SitsVac/files/ (which will involve signing into Yahoo and joining the group, which is at least automatic). There are currently 6 scripts in there for us to choose from for tomorrow's meeting (I say "us", it's up to Vince)

Kev F

I could possibly help in a temporary sort of way if you don't get any better offers :) It wouldn't be bells and whistles but would def be better than the yahoo group Sick. I'll pm you tomorrow.

Basically you want a cms (content management system) like wordpress and a talented young whippersnapper to code a custom theme for you.

Reminder, Sitcom Trials Bristol meeting this lunchtime (Sunday) at the Oxford, Totterdown http://sitcomtrials.blogspot.com/2012/01/sitcom-trials-meeting-bristol-feb-12.html

Thanks to everyone who came along to today's Bristol Sitcom Trials meeting at
the Oxford Totterdown - oh and thanks to Vince for being in charge of the
meeting despite my overbearing presence (don't worry everyone, I go to Australia
on Wednesday, you'll be shot of me for a month). Bring new meaning to the words
focus and out of, I took some very poor photos...

Photos and full blog

I know. But you can possibly glimpse through the camera shudder brand new
potential group members Elf, Viv, Robin, Tom, James, Janna and Luke. Just out of
shot were Sarit (of the old London team, thanks for making the journey), Angie
(of the last Bristol team, welcome back), Mel, Linda, Lorna, John and Gary, and
of course Vince (Stadon, the new producer) and myself, plus two writers who were
long-suffering enough to have us read out their scripts, Ted (from Bristol) and
Oliver who had schlepped down to Bristol all the way from Catterick. That's
right, Catterick.

I hope Ted, Oliver and Angie benefitted from hearing their scripts (respectively
Social, You've Missed A Bit and Totterdown Neighbourhood Watch) given a blind
round-table reading. We also gave a reading to Vic Gore's Bewilderment. I look
forward to hearing the group's feedback on everything they heard. Amongst other
things I learned about The Bechdel Test which, I think, two thirds of today's
scripts failed. But don't worry, that's not a problem for getting into the
Trials (most sitcoms fail the test I believe).

I hope I didn't take over too much at the meeting and that everyone wants to
stay on board to be part of the Bristol team. I look forward to seeing the
fruits of your labours when I return in March. Meantime, if everyone wants to
stay in touch, might I recommend joining:

- The SitsVac eGroup (where you can upload and download the scripts that will be
contenders to be in the show)

- The British Comedy Guide Forum (where you can talk to fellow writers and where
you might prefer to post your script reviews)

- The Sitcom Trials Facebook group (speaks for itself)

+ subscribe to the Sitcom Trials blog, which is where everything I post appears
first.

See you all soon

Kev F
The Sitcom Trials

Quote: turbo penguin @ February 12 2012, 2:37 AM GMT

Basically you want a cms (content management system) like wordpress and a talented young whippersnapper to code a custom theme for you.

Yes. Whatever you just said.

Quote: ShirleyMcFurley @ February 12 2012, 2:16 AM GMT

I could possibly help in a temporary sort of way if you don't get any better offers :) It wouldn't be bells and whistles but would def be better than the yahoo group Sick. I'll pm you tomorrow.

Okay. Forgive me if I don't reply immediately, I fly to Adelaide on Wednesay and have things to sort before then. But many thanks both.

Brilliant time at the Bristol Sitcom Trials meeting, huge thanks to all the splendid actors and writers who attended.

As Kev mentioned, we did a few blind round-the-table script readings, which went well, and we're keen to do a lot more of this so please feel free to bring scripts along (top tip: multiple copies are best, saves the undignified scrum of actors pushing/pulling/punching each other out the way to get their hands on the only copy).

Vic Gore, hello! We read your script (pulled at random from the entries submitted thus far), and if you want me to pass along the feedback, feel free to get in touch.

Next meeting: Sunday 26th, Oxford pub, Totterdown, 2-4pm. Hope to see you there!

Don't forget: deadline for scripts for the March 30th show is midnight Weds 29th of Feb.

Hi there,
I've only just found out about this. How often does it happen? Is it an annual event or more regular.
Thanks
Neil