Noel Fielding's Luxury Comedy - Series 1 Page 18

Quote: Bill Jaguar @ February 3 2012, 6:29 PM GMT

Damnit, I need to go back to school. Or at least learn some English, school probably isn't the best place then, thinking about it.

:D

Quote: Timbo @ February 3 2012, 11:45 PM GMT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_gv7n2Uxoo

How very troll droll.

Quote: AJGO @ February 3 2012, 2:47 PM GMT

Edvard Grieg, of course :P

Ooh, ooh, ooh, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7GeKLE0x3s Yes!

Quote: Bill Jaguar @ February 4 2012, 7:01 PM GMT

Ooh, ooh, ooh, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7GeKLE0x3s Yes!

Ah, so good

A new genre surely? Comedy Art. It has the smell of Reeves and Mortimer with a more than a touch of Picasso. Well done Noel and team, I love it and welcome the second series.

This is a strange way to introduce myself to a new forum but I couldn't restrain myself from commenting on this thread.

I'm a long time Boosh fan and had high hopes for Luxury comedy. Like many people I was a little disappointed with the first episode. I found myself questioning whether Noel has lost his spark, whether Julian was the only driving force behind the Boosh and if I was going to have to admit to people that I hated Noel's new show after being so excited to watch it.

Then a flash of inspiration, I felt the same way about the Boosh to start with, in fact I wasn't sure about several comedies I now love on first viewing. So instead of the knee jerk reaction after one episode I held my opinion and waited for the second episode to give it a chance. I'm so glad I did, the second episode was so much better than the first and my faith in Noel is restored.

I think a lot of criticism comes from people comparing it to the Boosh and finding something (Julian mainly :D) missing. It's not the Boosh, it's not meant to be. This is different...very different, but if it carries on improving at this rate it could be a cult classic in no time. Rolling eyes

Anyway, hello forum! Wave

I haven't watched this or the blighty mush (mighty boosh), so I'm without comparison or viewing. I would just prefer to stay away, like I said before Spike Milligan all the way. Even if so very little of his stuff is around.

Quote: Mandawhy @ February 6 2012, 6:14 PM GMT

I felt the same way about the Boosh to start with, in fact I wasn't sure about several comedies I now love.

Hi Mandawhy. Welcome. You make a good point! Episode 2 was certainly more enjoyable for me than the first... maybe it's because the sketches were better, or maybe I'm now getting used to the rather unique style.

(I've got that green snake stuck in my head: "Am I nothing")

Quote: Mark @ February 7 2012, 12:54 PM GMT

Hi Mandawhy. Welcome. You make a good point! Episode 2 was certainly more enjoyable for me than the first... maybe it's because the sketches were better, or maybe I'm now getting used to the rather unique style.

(I've got that green snake stuck in my head: "Am I nothing")

The missus made herself a coffee and didn't ask me if I wanted one and I said "Am I nothing?" which is worrying...

I thought episode 2 was an improvement but as Mark suggested I think it's more about getting used to the headf**kiness of it all.

And people keep saying "Don't compare it the Boosh" but how can you not? It's got half the cast in, it's got the same surreal vibe (albeit majorly heightened), it uses the same imagery of Noel's art and it's even had a cameo from the moon! So it's hardly surprising that Julian feels conspicuous in his absence.

Someone called it comedy-art, so maybe he's invented a new genre that'll take a bit more getting used to. I did like the motorbike guys.

This thread has attracted a lot of attention - surely a microcosm of the kind of discussion and debate happening around this show.
I think the title "Luxury Comedy" gives a certain impression that is hard to live up to - but the curiousity generated by this show and the ensuing word of mouth will ensure enough of a following to make a second series worthwhile ratings-wise.
I think television executives probably predicted this early on. Whether or not you like the show - E4 deserves some cudos for sustaining something that might be quite specific in its appeal.

In the name of giving it a chance, I watched about half of episode two, only to have 4oD freeze up on me.

I couldn't even be arsed to click Reload in the browser to watch the rest.

Wave

Long time no log in, but this prog has prompted me to comment. I think it is excellent. I had thought that Noel had gone off the boil in recent times. Buzzcocks? Really? That was just a load of shiv.
Luxury Comedy is even funnier than the Boosh in some aspects, I think it is absurd, pretty and very funny.

I would say I was disappointed to find that there was so much negativity about it on here, but then again, there's so much negativity and sniping on here that I kinda knew really. What a world. Rolling eyes

Wave

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ January 27 2012, 12:04 AM GMT

The great thing about labelling your piss poor product with the 'surreal' tag is that when people criticise, you can always use the get out of jail card...well you obviously don't get it.

My view remains unchanged. If you personally get something out of it, then good for you. Enjoy yourself to the fullest.

But if you dare criticise my comedy taste for not enjoying this infantile crap, then prepare for some negativity.

When I read comments like: 'I really like it, it's got pretty colours, maybe it's a new type of comedy art, with one or two jokes in a half hour show, it's better then the Mighty Boosh, etc.' - It sounds like the mewings of superficial imbeciles without the ability to objectively judge anything.

I didn't set out to dislike this programme, I like Noel and think he is a very good comic actor. I'm not a 'hater', quite the reverse. That's why my reaction to the show is so vehemently passionate.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ February 8 2012, 1:27 PM GMT

But if you dare criticise my comedy taste for not enjoying this infantile crap, then prepare for some negativity.

When I read comments like: 'I really like it, it's got pretty colours, maybe it's a new type of comedy art, with one or two jokes in a half hour show, it's better then the Mighty Boosh, etc.' - It sounds like the mewings of superficial imbeciles without the ability to objectively judge anything.

'Don't you dare crit my opinion, I will however make fun of yours!' :D ;)

Quote: Bill Jaguar @ February 3 2012, 6:29 PM GMT

Damnit, I need to go back to school. Or at least learn some English, school probably isn't the best place then, thinking about it.

You don't go back to school around here.

You go back to class.