Sykes

I know there's other stuff about Eric on here ( Aaron, I've just pre ordered The Likes of Sykes through the site so you can eat, albeit sparingly for a day or two!) but I've just watched one of the episodes currently on Gold.

I've got the DVD somewhere but that's another story.

Has there ever been another TV comedian to make better use of their hands than Eric?

Try turning the sound off and watch his expressions with his hands . .

A truly wonderful programme. Really disappointing that further series have not been released. I think we've got to wait for 2 Entertain to develop some kind of interest in the show now.

Someone woke up to Cowboys so maybe there's hope?

Entirely different situation, being a BBC programme, sadly.

I used to love this. Ain't seen it in a while. Eric and Hattie are truly talented performers :)

Just a reminder . . two episodes of Sykes on BBC Four tonight followed by the docu-drama Hattie.

:D

With Peter Sellers no less!

Quote: Geffers @ January 21 2011, 3:18 PM GMT

With Peter Sellers no less!

Loved it when Peter Sellers walked in. I was surprised how well I remembered the theme tune when it started up.
Not a huge fan of the series though, I thought Eric was a bit music hall. Still better than most of the sitcoms on nowadays thou mind you.

I enjoyed the Sykes episode also. Sellers must well into the most dreary phase of his Hollywood career by this time so this have been a real pleasure for him to perform.

Would you believe I just got round to watching the episode with Peter Sellers?

Eric in the shop lifting up the skirt of the assistant he thought was a mannequin was sheer class as was the rest of it.

Written by him, performed by him (et al) quality sitcomming !

:D

Quote: Oldrocker @ January 30 2011, 10:05 PM GMT

Would you believe I just got round to watching the episode with Peter Sellers?

No:

:O :O :O

Quote: youngian @ January 24 2011, 1:56 PM GMT

I enjoyed the Sykes episode also. Sellers must well into the most dreary phase of his Hollywood career by this time so this have been a real pleasure for him to perform.

Yes, looked like he enjoyed it, a typically boisterous performance. He was probably itching to play on screen one of his favourite radio characters. I loved the applause for him when he appeared, expect he did too.

Also of note was the script, that was a proper sitcom script, the intro had shades of Hancock about it. The quality of writing back then was very special, much more literary than today's joke and one liner based scripts.

The comedy starring Eric and Hattie began life in the early sixties as :-Sykes and an idental twin.

There is a great DVD called 'Sykes', this is superb and has a lot of out takes.

It would be nice if someone at the BBC could be bothered to go down into the basement and dig out another episode.

GOLD have been repeating it for the last few months, to be fair. OK, so it's hidden away in the 6 & 8 am graveyard slot, but it is nevertheless getting a full airing.

Would be much nicer if it was on BBC proper though, I fully agree.