The Sitcom Mission 2012 Page 45

And I'm not expecting Dec & Si to tell us how many script were entered. Only because, if they do, they're telling everyone how much they've just earned, which is commercially sensitive information.

Mind you, if they did get 1000 entries at ten quid a pop, I may have to rethink the Sitcom Trials holier-than-thou "we're free to enter" stance. :)

Quote: Kev F @ February 2 2012, 2:44 PM GMT

And I'm not expecting Dec & Si to tell us how many script were entered. Only because, if they do, they're telling everyone how much they've just earned, which is commercially sensitive information.

Can't see why? What does that mean commercially sensitive? I don't expect anybody thinks Simon and Dec will be retiring on the proceeds. If they can cover their costs I should imagine they will be pleased.

I wouldn't expect a promoter to tell you how many tickets they sold on the door, how much they paid their acts, not unless they particularly wanted or needed to. These sort of things are usually kept under wraps. Try, for example, to find out how much comedians get paid for TV appearances. Nobody usually lets that out so as not to jeapordise future negotiations. Likewise if a show is struggling it's often wise to put on a brave face and hope things will turn around, rather than say to everyone we only sold 6 tickets yesterday ergo you may conclude we're probably not very good.

I dunno, just brainstorming the pros and cons of sharing your earnings. I've gone in both directions in the past, 'fessed all and kept schtum. Personally I'd love Dec & Si to share because, as I say, it could be a good business model to follow. If they got less than 30 entries, then it would just be embarrassing (but we can assume, from the earlier "want to know how many entries we got then?" posting, that's not the case). I, like you, am on tenterhooks.

Since neither Simon nor Declan have posted recently, we can assume they are either busy counting the number of entries or kicking back with vodka martinis on a plane to Brasil.

Or they've had 1000 people that have opted for Bronze Feedback and are busy trying to find 1000 ways of saying, over 2 pages, 'it's just not that good'.

Quote: Declan @ February 1 2012, 12:22 AM GMT

Anyone want to guess how many entries we got?

It's the look on Dec's face in the photo beside this original post that makes me think we're talking ker-ching results.

Which suggests there's more money to be made in running sitcom competitions than, er, entering them.

We got just under 400 entries.

Simon and I now have a full month to spend reading the scripts and do our Bronze feedback crits, and we can spend more time on each script than we did last year. We think the people who invested their time, energy and finances to enter deserve that.

We're a limited company, so those details would have been public knowledge eventually at Companies House.

The Sitcom Mission is a long-term project for us and we're always looking at how we can improve.

Quote: bigfella @ February 2 2012, 2:08 PM GMT

I guess around 400.

When do we find out? (How many that is.)

I thank you! Do I win a prize?

Quote: bigfella @ February 2 2012, 10:45 PM GMT

Have you written a brilliant sitcom?

Quote: bigfella @ February 2 2012, 10:45 PM GMT

No. Just the respect of your peers.

Pure curiosity, but any chance of knowing how many were Early Bird and how many Last Minute?

As a bit of a diversion from the entry figure hysteria, any thoughts on male writers creating female characters (and vice versa).
In my entry my main was a woman - not at all like women I know though.
Do you think there are any special considerations or caution necessary.
Or, is this overthinking it??

Quote: Lincoln @ February 3 2012, 5:53 AM GMT

As a bit of a diversion from the entry figure hysteria, any thoughts on male writers creating female characters (and vice versa).
In my entry my main was a woman - not at all like women I know though.
Do you think there are any special considerations or caution necessary.
Or, is this overthinking it??

It allows men to express their feminine and explains the link between cross-dressing and creative writing!

Quote: Declan @ February 2 2012, 10:19 PM GMT

We got just under 400 entries.

Congratulations, that's a marvellous result and a validation of the move to the entry fee. Have the dates of the shows been announced yet?

Quote: Declan @ February 2 2012, 11:01 PM GMT

Have you written a brilliant sitcom?

Of course.

But I'm just getting my ducks in a row.