I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue - Series 56

As a fan of this comic masterpiece, I listened with a sense of expectation to the first episode of the new series on 14 November. Sadly, unlike the glory years, this was tired and predictable and although we always knew the show was largely scripted it was the first time you could "hear them reading".

Perhaps the sad death of Humphrey Littleton should have been the time to end this once supreme British classic.

No, I think you'll find you're wrong. It's still very funny.

The Rose West joke was genius.

Welcome to the forums nyenye.

For future reference, could you please search for other threads already covering this subject before starting a new one. There is already a ISIHAC thread here

Oh good - my first nerd. :P

Quote: Ian Wolf @ November 15 2011, 10:33 AM GMT

Welcome to the forums nyenye.

For future reference, could you please search for other threads already covering this subject before starting a new one. There is already a ISIHAC thread here

Yes, but there's also a Series 54, Series 55 thread and so on, so what do you expect people to do?

Quote: Afinkawan @ November 15 2011, 9:36 AM GMT

The Rose West joke was genius.

Indeed Wave

I've never found Brooke-Taylor funny at all though, and now he's got a gong :O

Always wondered if Lionel Blair listens. Hope he's got a sense of humour. "Tossed him over a towel"!.

Quote: Charlie Boy @ December 7 2011, 1:36 PM GMT

Always wondered if Lionel Blair listens. Hope he's got a sense of humour. "Tossed him over a towel"!.

I don't think so - from Wiki ....

"His skills on Give Us A Clue are mocked in the introduction to Sound Charades on BBC Radio 4's similarly named comedy show I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue, normally by double entendre going over the top on Blair's camp persona. In one episode the host, Humphrey Lyttelton, introduced the game: "The expert's expert was, of course, Lionel Blair. Who could ever forget opposing team captain, Una Stubbs, sitting open-mouthed as he tried to pull off Twelve Angry Men in under two minutes?". On 29 January 2011, during the Radio 4 show "Saturday Live", hosted by Fi Glover, Blair said of the remarks on the show I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue that "My wife hates it" and that he had honestly never heard the remarks on the programme himself until "now with the internet". Referring to the presenter, (the recently deceased Humphrey Lyttelton), he added "People say you should always speak good of the dead. He's dead - good." Blair said in the same interview that he thought that double-entendres about his sexuality were no longer made on ISIHAC (i.e. since Lyttelton's death). In fact, new presenter Jack Dee carries on the tradition with gusto."

Quote: fasty @ December 7 2011, 5:38 PM GMT

I don't think so - from Wiki ....

"His skills on Give Us A Clue are mocked in the introduction to Sound Charades on BBC Radio 4's similarly named comedy show I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue, normally by double entendre going over the top on Blair's camp persona. In one episode the host, Humphrey Lyttelton, introduced the game: "The expert's expert was, of course, Lionel Blair. Who could ever forget opposing team captain, Una Stubbs, sitting open-mouthed as he tried to pull off Twelve Angry Men in under two minutes?". On 29 January 2011, during the Radio 4 show "Saturday Live", hosted by Fi Glover, Blair said of the remarks on the show I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue that "My wife hates it" and that he had honestly never heard the remarks on the programme himself until "now with the internet". Referring to the presenter, (the recently deceased Humphrey Lyttelton), he added "People say you should always speak good of the dead. He's dead - good." Blair said in the same interview that he thought that double-entendres about his sexuality were no longer made on ISIHAC (i.e. since Lyttelton's death). In fact, new presenter Jack Dee carries on the tradition with gusto."

This all seems very formal doesn't it? Most people knew him as Humph.

I'm loving the new series, Jack Dee is a fine replacement for Humph. And that "tossed him over a towel" line was filthy genius. You could hear the audience's laughter building as they collectively-thought "Did he really say that...oh my God he did!" In my opinion still the funniest panel game, including the TV efforts.

For info . .

ISIHAC NEWSLETTER

Dear I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue Mailing List Member

After the success of our 'not for broadcast' Theatre Tours in 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010 (all sell-outs), we're returning with a special fundraising edition of the show for the charity ENRYCH, whose stated aim is to enrich the lives of disabled adults. Our very own Graeme Garden is a patron.
Hosted by the excellent Jack Dee, the panel will comprise Tim Brooke-Taylor, Barry Cryer and Graeme Garden with Colin Sell at the piano.

Monday 5th March 2012
The New Theatre, Oxford

Show starts 7.30pm (finishes at around 10pm)
Tickets - currently on sale, priced £21, £23 and £25.
Box Office: 0844 847 1585

ENRYCH is a person-centred organisation which aims to give adults with a physical disability, who have a need, the opportunity to add quality to life through leisure and learning. ENRYCH looks beyond a person's disability, to focus on what can be achieved, rather than what can't.

Also, as we enter our 40th year, we're embracing the digital age with the launch of a brand new Clue website. From January 9th 2012, a visit to www.isihac.net will service all your Clue related needs, from tour dates and recording details to unseen archive material and the rules of Mornington Crescent. We hope you'll pay a visit and let us know what you think.

That's about it for now. We do hope to see you at the show.

With best wishes,

Jon Naismith
Producer, I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue

never been the same since humph died sadly. his lionel blair jokes were class. hasnt he got a sense of humour. I loved the one where humph said when he was doing a town like alice and una stubbs saw neville shute in his face. I laughed til I nearly puked

Quote: yowie29 @ February 2 2012, 1:47 PM GMT

never been the same since humph died sadly. his lionel blair jokes were class. hasnt he got a sense of humour. I loved the one where humph said when he was doing a town like alice and una stubbs saw neville shute in his face. I laughed til I nearly puked

Yes that is a good one.

Welcome to the forums yowie29.

thanks Ian :D

Quick update from today's newsletter . . .

Also, as we enter our 40th year, we're embracing the digital age and are pleased to announce the launch of our brand new Clue website. From tomorrow (29th February), please visit www.isihac.net for full details about recordings, broadcasts and other Clue news, as well as photos, trivia, never before seen archive footage, and the long awaited complete collected rules of Mornington Crescent. www.isihac.net will also be the place to join in discussions about all aspects of the shows on our news message boards. We hope you'll pay a visit and let us know what you think.

With best wishes,

Jon Naismith
Producer, I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue