Only Fools and Horses USA

Story: http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2012/01/28/14747/america_to_remake_only_fools_and_horses

Irreverent: http://tvlistings.guardian.co.uk/search/?tvgSearchPhrase=spy%20darren%20boyd

Dan

Sure it will be a huge success.

Just like the U.S remakes of Fawlty Towers, Birds of a Feather, Absolutely Fabulous, As If and Men Behaving Badly.

I don't see why they won't show our U.K stuff in their primetime slots or at least on their main channels.

After all we show enough of theirs. I've heard accents being used as an excuse. Bullshit we have managed to get used to accents from all over the U.S.A so why can't they do the same with the U.K ones?

Quote: David Carmon @ February 1 2012, 12:09 AM GMT

I don't see why they won't show our U.K stuff in their primetime slots or at least on their main channels.

First you need to find a UK show that generates 13-26 episodes every year. ;)

It's such a universal theme that I can see it working in almost every other country. Certainly should go down well in USA, if made with respect to original. Is Carrell involved, I recall him saying he'd love to do a copy and he's a big fan. Not too sure what city they'd be in, suppose it could work in several. As a cluless outsider I'll guess at Chicago, New York or Miami. Not LA, everything's set in LA.

Just because a pilot's been commisioned doesn't mean it'll ever see the light of day. I really don't think Steve Carrell is going to sign on to a new sitcom... never know, but I doubt it. News people are just taking a quote from a past Carrell interview and intertwining it with this new story of the pilot.

Sure it will be a huge success.

Just like the U.S remakes of Fawlty Towers, Birds of a Feather, Absolutely Fabulous, As If and Men Behaving Badly.

Or Steptoe & Son.

It's not in HD.

Quote: DaButt @ February 1 2012, 12:27 AM GMT

First you need to find a UK show that generates 13-26 episodes every year. ;)

Going by some of the shows from over there that we over here have to endure, like tacky cheap dramas, dodgy animations and endless reality shows with loud outspoken people with no brains, we could easily inflict some of ours on the Americans at primetime and on main channels

Casualty (E.R only better)
Holby City (They give us more than 1 C.S.I, so should endure our hospital version)
EastEnders
Shameless (Show ours instead of their crap remake)
Skins (Same goes)
Coronation Street
Emmerdale
Hollyoaks
Waterloo Road
Tracey Beaker
Blue Peter
Come Dine With Me (we get endless USA reality shows EVERYWHERE)
Coach Trip
X Factor UK (we have to endure it on ITV2 so they should have ours on a loop as well)
Jeremy Kyle (Oprah, Springer, Sally, Ellen...bla bla bla)

Soap operas have been dying here for the last 20 years; we don't want yours. ;)

I'm grateful that panel shows haven't really established themselves over here.

But to clarify, I don't mean that all Americans have no brains, just the ones that seem to get themselves on shows called things like

"OH MY GAWD, LOOK AT MY DEFORMED CHILD!" or

"My Mom's a Hooker"

Personally I blame MTV.

Quote: DaButt @ February 1 2012, 2:22 PM GMT

Soap operas have been dying here for the last 20 years; we don't want yours. ;)

I'm grateful that panel shows haven't really established themselves over here.

I hate alot of U.S soaps, some of ours can be grim, but Guiding Light????? Purlease.... :)

Quote: David Carmon @ February 1 2012, 2:23 PM GMT

"OH MY GAWD, LOOK AT MY DEFORMED CHILD!" or

"My Mom's a Hooker"

Personally I blame MTV.

I don't have cable/satellite television so 100% of what I watch is downloaded. I only watch what I want (commercial-free) and remain blissfully unaware of the crap that's out there.

Does anyone even watch MTV anymore?

I think you may have finally flipped, David. Don't forget they'll be tortured by Life's Too Short soon enough.

I don't think America has a lock on idiots on reality TV, I saw a clip of Celeb Big Brother UK where no one in the house knew what ocean separated the US from the UK.

If it makes you feel any better David we do get EastEnders on PBS, Skins was on BBCA as I think Shameless was as well and there is a Jeremy Kyle US show that started a few months ago (although that adulation may turn to dismay when they start airing US reruns in the UK).

I think the primary reason we don't get UK TV on any of the "networks" here is the run time of the shows. A BBC comedy would have to be trimmed of 8 minutes an episode or so... that's a lot of pruning. Even the UK comercial stations only have 1 break as far as I know; where in the US we get 3. The breaks also become more annoying when there's no natural space for one... try watching Peep Show with 3 commercial breaks sometime.

Yes, the average runtime of a half-hour commercial sitcom here is actually about 25 or 26 minutes, whilst in the US it's 18 to 21 minutes per episode. Quite a difference.

Quote: Aaron @ February 1 2012, 3:02 PM GMT

I think you may have finally flipped, David. Don't forget they'll be tortured by Life's Too Short soon enough.

Never watched that, trailer and cast put me off.

Maybe they'll get it in a triple bill with Big Top and The Royal Bodyguard.

Quote: MTpromises @ February 1 2012, 10:01 PM GMT

I don't think America has a lock on idiots on reality TV, I saw a clip of Celeb Big Brother UK where no one in the house knew what ocean separated the US from the UK.

If it makes you feel any better David we do get EastEnders on PBS, Skins was on BBCA as I think Shameless was as well and there is a Jeremy Kyle US show that started a few months ago (although that adulation may turn to dismay when they start airing US reruns in the UK).

I think the primary reason we don't get UK TV on any of the "networks" here is the run time of the shows. A BBC comedy would have to be trimmed of 8 minutes an episode or so... that's a lot of pruning. Even the UK comercial stations only have 1 break as far as I know; where in the US we get 3. The breaks also become more annoying when there's no natural space for one... try watching Peep Show with 3 commercial breaks sometime.

Our reality TV is pretty dismal, I do remember Jade Goody being very thick not knowing where East Anglia is, but every time I turn on and flick through channels there's always some God awful thing with even worse titles. Usually docu-soap type things. I remember once someone thought England was in London.

Can't think of anything off the top of my head but stuff called things like

My grandma won't sleep with me

I'm a religious wife beater and my sons a fag

We keep Grandads head in the freezer!

I love you but I love the lizards more! You have to go!

If Jezza is doin stuff over there now then please keep him, we'll swap you for Roseanne Barr.

An old link
but in the correct thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLA7Kx4srUs

Just realised that Mark Gatiss is in this as well.
Never noticed before.