Noel Fielding's Luxury Comedy - Series 1 Page 9

Quote: Matthew Stott @ January 27 2012, 10:16 PM GMT

We'd all peek at what people were saying, terrible mistake of course, but we'd all do it. At first at least.

Yeah, true.

Quote: zooo @ January 27 2012, 9:45 PM GMT

Noel's Tweet: "The ratings for Luxury comedy were great! And apart from the occasional internet grump the reaction has been magical!"

The "occasional internet grump" he refers to is better known as "98% of Twitter", if the state of the service as the show finished is anything to go by.

'Julian Barratt' was trending, but 'Noel Fielding' was not. Enough said, really.

Just watched it on Catch up and was glued to the thing because it was so bad. It took me back to the days of T.F.I. Friday, when I watched every week, just to give my ego a boost because it was so terrible.

It shocks me that people haven't got anything better to do than watch this nonsense (posted at 2:41am on a Saturday morning)

Quote: chipolata @ January 27 2012, 10:13 PM GMT

you do have to feel a bit sorry for artists nowadays. Nobody ever sets out to make a turkey

Yes they do.

At the height of his fame, Picasso deliberately made a really bad artwork just to see what people would make of it. It sold.

However, even though it was intended to be awful, it was still awful in a genius manner.

Well, I think it's brave if nothing else, of C4 in particular because it's clear Mr Fielding has no self critical power and little sense of embarrassment. C4 do have a reputation to worry about, and it might take a knock by showing all 7 of these shows. The show might do better on the continent as it's got that Euro trashy, overtly arty flavour about it. Mr Fielding's French heritage certainly shows through in this. We solid Brits are more likely to feel a mixture of embarrassment and pity for all involved. Quite right too.

Quote: Nogget @ January 28 2012, 7:09 AM GMT

However, even though it was intended to be awful, it was still awful in a genius manner.

Lou Reed's "Metal Machine Music" and Neil Young's "Everybody's Rockin'" were both recorded in fits of pique with record labels that were demanding more of "what you usually do". The former's a hard listen, although Reed still claims it's more than you think, but the latter shows that even when being deliberately superficial, talent will out. "The myth of authorial intent", "trust the tale and not the teller", etc.

Yes indeed. Also, The Beatles "Only a Northern Song", intended as a bitter joke about having to fulfil the record label's demands.

So for all we know, Fielding is doing the same thing, making it deliberately unfunny because it's all a big in-joke. If so, I suppose it's nice that someone is laughing.

I'm glad I haven't watched it, the 50 second video was enough to put me off. Especially the policeman with the talking wound... Made me want to chunder til downunder.

Because of all the slatings on here I wasn't expecting much, but I found that pretty enjoyable, overall. There were bits I didn't think much of, but I enjoyed the lion, that was funny; and the guy with the talking knife wound, and the linking bits with the cereal and Pele were all perfectly enjoyable. I could've done without that cooking bit, and the chocolate finger stuff.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ January 28 2012, 12:26 PM GMT

Because of all the slatings on here I wasn't expecting much, but I found that pretty enjoyable, overall. There were bits I didn't think much of, but I enjoyed the lion, that was funny; and the guy with the talking knife wound, and the linking bits with the cereal and Pele were all perfectly enjoyable. I could've done without that cooking bit, and the chocolate finger stuff.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ January 27 2012, 9:17 AM GMT

Now hold up, I haven't seen it yet, so I think, regardless of my true feelings, I will come back later to call you all ignorant twats.

I'm waiting.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ January 27 2012, 10:32 PM GMT

Maybe he should go back on it, he might have been funnier high. Then again, he is 38 years old, some paunch is bound to come into his life.

Great, now I've called him a fat, old, unfunny, drug addict. I am not proud.

Next you'll be saying it's a sketch show on acid, the critics' standby for anything they don't understand...

Quote: Tim Azure @ January 28 2012, 8:25 PM GMT

Next you'll be saying it's a sketch show on acid, the critics' standby for anything they don't understand...

May I call it a Psychedelic comedy show? I say this because I think surreal comedy is meant to be unexpected deviations from the norm, like the now-boring fish joke. However when I see all the pretty colours and read about the 'odd' characters my expectations go out the window. I feel it is very hard to be surreal when a person's expectations have gone out the window.

I didn't like it, it was just too far out for me and I really like surreal comedy...however I have watched the first episode of shows before and thought WTF, so I shall give him a chance.

I haven't seen it.